Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the issues with rockers and such has any one tried using an oil additive to try and help alleviate this issue? If so what are you using? At the moment I am using the Ducati recommended full synthetic 20-50. At work at the moment and don't remember the brand but it is deep red in color and from Europe. Using no additional additives at the moment.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
^^^^What he said...except he is incorrect on his "best oil" statement. That position goes to Amsoil 10W40:) ;)

You dont need any additives with todays oils and they'd do nothing for the flaking rockers anyways.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm not trolling for a new "which oil do I pick"-thread but I have access to oils from both Motul and Amsoil and if you guys have scientifically valid info supporting your claims as to why pick one oil over the other I'd like to know.

Let the fighting begin :D
I'll fight you to the death on that one...

LOL :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
oil

try both. See what your seat of the pants dyno results are, then choose :cool:

Both are very good imho.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
You guys have scientifically valid info supporting your claims as to why pick one oil over the other I'd like to know.

Let the fighting begin :D
Naaa... I'm already battered and bruised from this argument of previous posts. I will say one thing, I've never seen an oil like V300. I've got a set of cam's in my garage from 2 years ago that have been wiped off with rags and sitting around, that still "drip" oil onto the floor every day!

Thats my scientific evidence!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Never mind the kids, but oil additives are at best money wasters, at worse, degrade the oils lubrication and protective properties. Forget them and get a good quality full synth oil.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I take it you mean Motul V300 clings to engine internals like no other oil...

That's indeed interesting but how does that affect the oil's ability to clean and cool engine parts, for instance, and how does it hold up over time?

I'm not trying to stir up an argument I'm just genuinly interested and I'd like to know if anyone has access to objective lab data comparing the two oils as to their ability to lubricate, clean, cool, prevent oxidation, withstand breakdown of internal chemical structures over time etc.

I wish one could say one oil is better than the rest but I'm not convinced it's that easy...

However, I do believe you're pretty safe when using a fully synthetic oil from a well known manufacturer and arguing beyond that might be futile :D
Naaa... I'm already battered and bruised from this argument of previous posts. I will say one thing, I've never seen an oil like V300. I've got a set of cam's in my garage from 2 years ago that have been wiped off with rags and sitting around, that still "drip" oil onto the floor every day!

Thats my scientific evidence!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I don't think there is any doubt that Amsoil is probably the best synthetic out there. But I've still not seen a study done by another outside party to repeat what Amsoil's clams are.

Here is the standard Amsoil test:
click here

Though funny enough it was only the 10w40 that did well, the 10w50 didn't do well at all.

I really don't have a reason to be using Motul besides its more radially available around here and the double ester does help.

I take it you mean Motul V300 clings to engine internals like no other oil...

That's indeed interesting but how does that affect the oil's ability to clean and cool engine parts, for instance, and how does it hold up over time?

I'm not trying to stir up an argument I'm just genuinly interested and I'd like to know if anyone has access to objective lab data comparing the two oils as to their ability to lubricate, clean, cool, prevent oxidation, withstand breakdown of internal chemical structures over time etc.

I wish one could say one oil is better than the rest but I'm not convinced it's that easy...

However, I do believe you're pretty safe when using a fully synthetic oil from a well known manufacturer and arguing beyond that might be futile :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Tye, that study is done by anoutside agency. Amsoils infamous white paper study was not done by Amsoil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts