Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using a slipper clutch/quickshifter on there ST3??

Some may say a strange question for a touring bike but you never know.

Thanks in advance Pablo

·
7,733 Posts
The sounds and feel of compression braking are so much fun, I wouldn't want one even if I was faster with a slipper. :)

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I installed a EVR slipper, don't notice its there unless you down shifted too fast, great for wet weather and my clutch release and take off is very smooth, unlike stock.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interested in a slipper clutch as a safety measure initially as fitting race shift pattern to the bike (For the first time) and wanted to protect the engine from me :D

·
7,733 Posts
According to this report, engine braking is not affected greatly, I was surprised too, http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/137797-mw-slipper-clutch-review.html

I always thought a slipper would turn it into a 2 stroke type engine braking, but apparently not.

Craig
I don't ride that agressively and always mindful not to cause engine damage, and I've rarely down shifted so abruptly as to get the rear wheel hopping, so I've never considered one because I'd probably never fully realise its benefits, but I know that some *can* reduce engine braking effect without rear wheel lock-up depending on how they're set up. I don't know if the one Ducati uses is adjustable or not.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Some may say a strange question for a touring bike but you never know.

Thanks in advance Pablo
That "some" would definitely include me. IMO, a waste of money, unless for some strange reason, the bike is being used in some form of track/race capacity.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That "some" would definitely include me. IMO, a waste of money, unless for some strange reason, the bike is being used in some form of track/race capacity.
Bike is used on the road but I wanted to try the quickshifter to see if it would make it easier for me under hard acceleration (having had a knee op I just don't seem as slick, so decided to try a race pattern configuration) also I built the bike (Superlight with ST3 engine) to be a bit of a sleeper that's quicker than she looks, so any advantage to keep up with my mates Duke1198 & Jap 1000 is welcome ;).

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
361 Posts
Several other aftermarket clutchs will be lighter and operate better, last longer, rev faster, just depends how much you want to spend. Reduced clutch pull and smooth engagement was worth it to me.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
I've gone with GP shifting for a while now. The few times that I downshifted in the wrong direction is immediately known with the initial release of the clutch. IMHO, you'll never fully drop it into a gear that you don't want.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
My 999s came with GP shift, so I converted to the ST as well, so as not to be more confused than I already am. Love the positive feel of the GP shift system.

The 999s also came with a slipper clutch, which is great for fast riding, but really not so necessary, especially if you use an aftermarket slave cylinder for the clutch and take it easy. I've only locked up the rear wheel on the ST once with a downshift, otherwise not.

I could definitely see a quickshifter later in life, when my left hand doesn't work so well, but many of my friends already up-shift their Ducs without a clutch now, so I might try that route. If I understand it, the quickshifter works with upshifts, not down, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts