Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same flattness at 3500-4000 rpm with the stock cans, it is really annoying, especially in a rather expensive vehicle, I am going to try the Fat Ducs and see if that helps, if not I guess a Power Commander and a dyno session. Has anyone else done that yet? Maybe a bigger rear sprocket, or down a tooth on the cog so I can actually use 5th and 6th. I doubt I will ever need the 155 mph top end.

Love to hear what you guys are doing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Power Commander doesn't have anything for this at this time. The sprocket change wont help. The flat spot issue has nothing to do with lugging at low rpms. That issue has something to do with fuel delivery of some sort. It is that or TPS issue etc.

If you notice, it is ok at 3000 rpms but not a 3500 (approx). So if it lugged at 3500, then it certainly would lug below it at 3000 rpm.

I am go with the full termi system and new ecu at some point which should fix it, but of course why should we have to do this to make out new bikes run right.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
11,129 Posts
The stock ECU uses a closed loop o2 AFR fuel monitoring system below 5800 RPM
and a power commander cannot modify the AFR durring closed loop operation.
So a PCIII will not help our problems below 5800RPM.

A racing ECU from Ducati performance does not use a closed loop system.
It eliminates the O2 sensors, the Exhaust valve, and can be adjusted for trim at any RPM.
So far that is the only solution that I'm aware of. Many tuners like to use the DP ECU with a PCIII for complete tunability.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So the DP ECU...

The stock ECU uses a closed loop o2 AFR fuel monitoring system below 5800 RPM
and a power commander cannot modify the AFR durring closed loop operation.
So a PCIII will not help our problems below 5800RPM.

A racing ECU from Ducati performance does not use a closed loop system.
It eliminates the O2 sensors, the Exhaust valve, and can be adjusted for trim at any RPM.
So far that is the only solution that I'm aware of. Many tuners like to use the DP ECU with a PCIII for complete tunability.
With the slip on's and the hi-flow air filter eliminate the exhaust valve and the 02's as well? Is there any documentation on this i.e. installation instructions? I rode a SFs at the premier and specifically asked this question. I was informed that the slip-on kit continues to use the 02's can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Only the full system eliminates the closed loop. If you used this and the nemisis and a custom map, this would be the best. Does anyone no if putting the bike on a dnyo for a couple of hours creating a map causes any out of the ordinary wear and tear on the engine?
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
11,129 Posts
Ken, unlike a PCIII or rapidbike or any number of other tuners on the market a Nemisis completely replaces the ECU.
so no need for a DP or any other ECU at all.

If you have an "S" the Nemisis will disable the traction control and the DDA.
But the Nemisis can be programmed to do a whole lotta things that the Stock system can't do, it's all a little over my head.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Only the full system eliminates the closed loop. If you used this and the nemisis and a custom map, this would be the best. Does anyone no if putting the bike on a dnyo for a couple of hours creating a map causes any out of the ordinary wear and tear on the engine?
Ken
As long as the dyno operator knows what they are doing it won't harm your engine at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jeremy,

Did you have to set up the PC V on a dyno, and did you have the flat spot before you installed the Power Commander, and lastly, are you running the stock pipes?

After reading the above suggestions, I'm wondering if you could disable the O2 sensors and use the Ducati Performance chip as it appears this ECU takes them out of the loop.

I hate to think I need to pay $1250 (8% of the cost of the bike) to get the Nemesis system so my bike will run smoothly.

Also, I was only thinking about going down a gear on the cog to make more of the engine range usable in every day motoring, other wise, I would never use 6th gear, and probably not see 5th unless I was at 70+ MPH.

·
Bon Vivant
11,129 Posts
The PCV is listed on Dan Kyle Racing website but I'm unsure as to weather it will work on a closed loop system...
I beleive the only advantage to the V is the auto-tune.
Dynojet is working an an o2 device that will allow tuning at the lower RPM but I don't think that is announced yet.
I'm going to check on it later today.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The PCV is listed on Dan Kyle Racing website but I'm unsure as to weather it will work on a closed loop system...
I beleive the only advantage to the V is the auto-tune.
Dynojet is working an an o2 device that will allow tuning at the lower RPM but I don't think that is announced yet.
I'm going to check on it later today.
This could help the issue that we have been having. I know that there is a unit called Thundermax put our for Harley's that are for closed loop and has the auto tune feature and people I know that have them thng it is great.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
11,129 Posts
(posted this on another thread but it's relevant here too so pardon the repost :) )

I checked with Dan kyle today.
The PCV has the same issue as the PCIII: it can't cope with the o2 sensors.
Dynojet has a prototype o2 eliminator and will have it in production sometime in the future... Who knows when???

That device will allow the PCIII and the PCV to operate throughout the RPM range.
Until then there are very few options.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Jeremy,

Did you have to set up the PC V on a dyno, and did you have the flat spot before you installed the Power Commander, and lastly, are you running the stock pipes?

After reading the above suggestions, I'm wondering if you could disable the O2 sensors and use the Ducati Performance chip as it appears this ECU takes them out of the loop.

I hate to think I need to pay $1250 (8% of the cost of the bike) to get the Nemesis system so my bike will run smoothly.

Also, I was only thinking about going down a gear on the cog to make more of the engine range usable in every day motoring, other wise, I would never use 6th gear, and probably not see 5th unless I was at 70+ MPH.

I didn't have a flat spot to begin with and my friends here at dyno put the SF on a dyno and installed it under the seat. It's a normal SF and not a S version and it runs fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts