Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see who has done a fork swap using 06-08 GSXR 1000 forks. Is this a direct bolt on swap?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I haven't done it but Rob, the owner of Evolution Suspension in Campbell, California told me he recommends the GSXR swap. I didn't do a fork swap with him, he just did springs for me.

I remember telling him at the time of the spring swap that if springs didn't work well enough I'd put ohlins on, and he told me that was a waste of money because GSXR forks are a way better bang for the buck and that he could do it for me. So it can be done and apparently he has done it a bunch. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i seem to recall that gtrossi had the gsxr front end swapped.

·
Registered
300 Posts
classefieds.

I know there are gsxr forks for sale under classifieds that has bean on sc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow excuse my ignorance, but is it really a bolt on deal - no modification necessary?

EDIT: tripower66 beat me to it. That is a pretty comprehensive thread, off to read!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
gixxer front end works - but takes some work...

i have an 07 gixxer 750 front end on my 06 s1k. i love it and would definitely recommend it but it ain't quite so simple as it sounds...

here's the good:
- great, supple, completely adjustable forks
- great brakes (progressive, excellent feel, big stoppies with two fingers)
- cheap, cheap, cheap (i paid $285 for whole front end including triples, fender, forks w/calipers, axle, etc. on ebay)
- always plenty available (squids drop these bikes daily)
- parts and upgrades are plentiful and cheap (the ujm appeal)

the tricky parts:
- you need a gixxer front wheel (i love mine, super light and easy to find on ebay, got a perfect one for $200 including rotors)
- gixxer triple is not the same spacing as the s1k (gixxer has forks wider apart) so you need to fiddle w/spacers to get the calipers/rotors to work right
- gixxer forks are slightly smaller diameter at the bottom so i used some aluminum sheet flashing as a shim to get proper purchase from the s1k lower triple (top fits perfectly)
- i hated the look of the gixxer fender, but you can't mount the s1k fender w/out making a custom bracket. my fix was to carve/sculpt/shape the gixxer fender to a profile that looks like an older ss fender
- the thicker part at the top of the forks that clamps into the top triple is a bit shorter than the s1k forks, so you have a smaller purchase area for the clip-ons. after 4k miles i've not had a problem, but it's not perfect.

all in i think i wound up with a very affordable solution that works extremely well - but then i like to tinker a bit :D

here's a link to the bike build with some pics.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=57965

please note that i don't know if there are differences with the gixxer 1000, 750, etc. that would either solve or worsen the issues above - i just got a front end and set about making it work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have an 2006 Monster S2R 1000 with a 2004 GSXR 1000 front end on it. I needed shims to make the Ducati axle fit the larger holes in the fork bottoms. It also need shims to move the rotors out 5 mm on each side to center them in the calipers. The calipers required spacers to move them out because the Ducati rotors are bigger. Last but not least the spacer that is located where the speedometer drive on the older bikes was located had to be made cone shaped so it was the Ducati size on one end and GSXR size on the other.

It is in the Ducati triple clamps and I would have to go look to see if there was any shims for the bottom triple but the top fit fine for sure. I have had it off to replace it with a custom mane one so I have looked at it.

It handles fine but I am not overly impressed. The brakes do not work any better than the stock ones as far as I can tell. I had a 999 with radial brake pumps and standard calipers that worked better and my Hypermotard with radial top and bottom puts the Suzuki parts to shame.

Jim
il Capo

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here is a picture of my front end from the previous message. If you look at the calipers you can see the aluminum spacer between the gold of the caliper and the black of the fork. Also you can make out the shim wrapped around the axle to make the Ducati axle fit the bigger fork opening. If you very carefully look at the brake rotor at the 3 o'clock position you can see the aluminum color of the spacer for the offset of the rotor. If you look just below the bolt that holds the rotor to the wheel you can see the aluminum color showing through the gold of the carrier.

http://picasaweb.google.com/capod2t/2006S2R1000#5172140902529612722

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts