Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes - on the Pikes Peak. Effective at reducing buffeting for someone of average height, but the wind noise is pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Thinking about getting a Multistrada and may ask the dealer to throw in one of these carbon fiber windscreens. I like the look on the Pikes Peak version. Has anyone tried one on a standard Multistrada? Good or bad? I read a few threads on windscreens but many of the pictures can no longer be viewed. Also saw the Calsci shorty tinted which looks ok.

https://store.ducatiusa.com/p/ducati-multistrada-carbon-fiber-windscreen-headlight-fairing
I bought one from a guy on the board to try out... I like it. More noise and more wind on your helmet to chest (lower if you have the screen lower) but a LOT less buffeting. I use the stock screen for touring... the cf screen for everything else.

Reactions: 2wheelmike

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use the carbon screen for everything, including long distance trips. I prefer it to the stock screen. Very little buffeting. Yes there is wind noise, but I have a good helmet and good ear plugs. I’d choose the short screen on any given day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep go the carbon I am 6'3"with good posture (thanks mum) and the wind goes up over my helmet with way less buffeting than the stock screen.
I have tested to over 220 km/h.
I can't comment on the noise because I always wear earplugs.
Looks trick as well.
I have it on a 2017 Volcano Grey MTS.
I dont think the stock screen will ever go back on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep go the carbon I am 6'3"with good posture (thanks mum) and the wind goes up over my helmet with way less buffeting than the stock screen.
I have tested to over 220 km/h.
I can't comment on the noise because I always wear earplugs.
Looks trick as well.
I have it on a 2017 Volcano Grey MTS.
I dont think the stock screen will ever go back on.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Looks great, thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you get the dealer to throw in the CF screen, ask to keep the stock one. Like everybody above, I have the shorty one and prefer it to the stock one but I didn't suffer buffeting as bad as most. Like DaveK, I prefer the stock one for distance travel to keep the bugs off the helmet visor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pike Peak Screen

I tried many screens and use the PP Carbon screen in the summer when it is warm and the Cal Sci Screen Medium when I want protection.

I am 5'9" and shrinking - and have a Touratech comfort seat on low, Unfortunately there many variables that effect how YOU will experience the screen - seat height, helmet type, riding posture, torso size etc.

I found the Pikes Peak Screen to be the best at eliminating noise and buffeting. You just trade off some protection. I could not believe how much noise I had been putting up with until I stood up at 70 mph once to stretch - it was dead quiet. I think my XR400 is quieter than the MTS.

The newer ones have a vent in the carbon screen. I don't know if this makes a difference. My dealer had one in stock so they told me I could return it if it did not work out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
211 Posts
I purchased my carbon screen with the bike when I bought it new in 2015. It does have a "vent" in it that I'm guessing does some sort of aerodynamic magic. I really really like the carbon screen. Nice quality piece that fits good and I really like the looks of it on the bike. Looks a tad funny to me if you put the screen up, but I always leave it down. I'm 5' 10" and there is zero buffeting with the carbon screen. I ride with it probably 75% of the time. Super easy to switch back and forth. I switch to the stock screen for long multiple day trips and used the stock screen on my Alaska trip. It offers more overall protection, but after running the carbon screen for a while then switching back to stock it is very noticeable. Buffeting is very annoying at first, but I get used to it. Heres some pics with both screens :)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Carbon

Add me to the list.
Stock screen was a fail for me.
Carbon shorty is painless on my head and quiet. I highly recommend.
I just bought a Givi touring screen ( taller than stock) and it was worse than my stock screen.
I just bought a PUIG clip on Visor to try out with my screens.....
My number one complaint with this bike is not finding happy clean air. Its such a shame on an otherwise amazing bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought the CalSci shorty because the PP is ridiculously overpriced. It looks good and works fine for ripping dirt roads or short runs. If you're touring, it's way too much air on the helmet and body for long periods.

CalSci Shorty

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought the CalSci shorty because the PP is ridiculously overpriced. It looks good and works fine for ripping dirt roads or short runs. If you're touring, it's way too much air on the helmet and body for long periods.

CalSci Shorty

i have a cal sci shorty and one of their big touring ones. i swap them out depending on the riding I'm planning, but the shorty is the default.

The touring screen is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter, which reduces fatigue on long trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts