Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone had tried out the new Metzeler M7 RR's ? Apparently they were developed with Guy Martin for the Isle of Man TT.

I've used the M5's for several years now with remarkable success and I just picked up a single M7 RR for the front (still some life left on the rear). It was readily noticeable that it dug in much better, which surprised me as the M5's have been excellent and I had no complaints. I can't wait to burn off the rear and go with a matched set.

The new M7 is 100% silica on the front and about 70% on the rear. Apparently there's 20% more lean angle in the rain and about a 20% increase in lifespan overall. Pirelli convinced them to take out 2 belts as well so it's a softer tire then the M5's.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Interesting to hear how these perform. I've had M5's in the past, didn't mind them as a quickish street tyre but I found them too hard to really push on.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I've heard the US won't be seeing them until the first quarter of 2015. Looks like a tire worth trying though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had M5's in the past, didn't mind them as a quickish street tyre but I found them too hard to really push on.
I'm glad you said that because you mentioned something I picked up on and never fully realized. When I was going into corners really hot, and on a sharp lean, I always felt they should have less air in them. I tested that theory a lot but came to the conclusion I had it right and so I left it there. I never found them to be harsh and they did everything well but now that you mention it, it's clear that I was trying to soften them up :)

The M7 RR is way softer - I noticed that right away. It really digs in. I did my standard weaving routine and it was very different due to the tire digging in so well.

I chose the M5's primarily due to their rain performance. I started riding a few years ago and blew through an intersection because I could not stop even though I was going very slow for the conditions. I backed off the throttle, geared down, and the rear wheel slipped. I then used the rear brake and once again, the tire slipped. I then tried the front - same thing - all the while getting closer and closer to the red light until finally I coasted through at a very slow speed because I could not stop. Mind you, it was the first rain of the summer and had been dry for 3 months. The pavement had that tell-tale foam on it. I learned a lot that day.

That's how I found the M5's and I've run 6 in a row now back to back. In fact, when the M7's came out I was very hesitant to change - why mess with a good thing?

Knowing that the silica content is the main reason the M5's worked so well in the rain I'm certain that the M7 RR's will be better because the front is 100% - which will be interesting in it's own right. With the M5's I don't have any wet weather issues at all :D Now it's improved! :eek:

Judging from how well the M7 RR dug in on the test ride, which was in the dry, I'd say if they last as long as the M5's it will likely end up being my new go-to tire regardless of Metzeler claims of 20% longer life. Once the weather improves I'll see what it's like on high speed tight corners but my guess is that the new softness of the tire, and the fact that it really, really digs in, will result is some pretty wild corners.

One corner that I did on the M5's sticks out in my mind, I nailed it so hard and I was so low down I could see the exact composition of the road surface, every rock and pebble embedded in the ground. I was really flying, had it right on it's side, I was on the wire and then some. The thing is, I knew that the M5's, coupled with that road surface, would never let go and I could have gone through even faster. That image is burned into my mind, I'll never forget it, it was one of those rides. Thing is, when I think about how much softer the M7 is, coupled with that road surface (typical around here) I'm certain that the grip has gone up several orders of magnitude. It should make for some interesting corner carving when the weather gets better!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still very pleased with mine but it is a Canadian opinion :eek:

What I'd love to see is someone with a lot of varied tire experience try them out and report back on what they found. How they compared to other leading brands etc.

My experience is somewhat limited in that respect but they have been the very best tires I've put on the bike yet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update to this, after much more riding (the tires are almost done) I'm going to see if I can back to some old stock M5's.

In my case I need the extra belts/stiffness.

During a fast & hard stop both front and rear locked up. It was not a panic stop and this should not have occurred. I've also had a few instances where cornering was not very good and one instance where I could have swore the rear tire was low or had a leak. Turns out, it was just the rear tire getting squirrely.

I haven't been able to really test them in the rain yet it's now a moot point - they're going because they appear to be way too soft.

The praise I posted earlier appears to have been pre-mature - sorry about that :frown2:

·
Registered
662 Posts
That sucks, but thanks for sharing your feedback. I was considering trying these for my next rubber but it looks like I'll be sticking with S20 Evo's.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Just posting up my opinions on these tyres, now that I've clocked up 2,000kms or so on them.

First the wet weather performance - my first ride out on them was into 3 hours of pissing mid winter rain (in the dark), and over some fairly nasty back roads with rough/slippery surfaces - and not even one little wiggle. Admittedly, I was travelling with pretty much a full load on board, and wasn't pushing it, but even so, if they were going to twitch at all, the roads I was on should have encouraged something to happen, and the behaved very well indeed. Even on the return ride, when I hit some wet weather, they behaved impeccably.

As I hadn't ridden for a couple of years, AND I've been messing around with my suspension (and with new, untried by me tyres) - I've been taking it easy, and 'easing' back into the faster riding - but I did a 300km loop the other day, and started to push things a bit on some of my more favourite corners - and they're still behaving really well. The chicken strips are getting thinner... Not quite to where they were with the Diablos, but not far off.

I'm running them at a slightly higher pressure than the previous tyres (Pirelli Diablos (not Diablo Rossos)) at 34 psi front and 36 psi rear, and so far still feeling fine.

OK - my SL isn't what you would call a high power output engine - but then I used to chew through the Diablos in 4500-5000 kms to a rear, and around 7-8000 kms to a front - and the wear that I've got on the M7RR's so far, is indicating that they should last much better than that. I'll post more as I get some more mileage clocked up on them.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
At +3000kms now - the chicken strips on the rear have now gone (after the last ride). As I get more confident with the tyres, I still can't find anything to complain about. No lockups, no twitches or wriggles - wet or dry (and I rode in some horribly wet weather, on some pretty C grade roads). I'm running mine at 36 psi rear, 34 front, which seems to be where they're happy on my bike. At +3000kms, the amount of wear says they should last easy another 4-5000 kms - maybe more, though the front appears to be wearing slightly faster than the rear - a problem I had with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's (not Rosso II's), which chewed the front out MUCH faster than the rear.

I had a couple of times where it felt 'wobbly', almost like a soft or flat tyre, but on checking, they were fine. It's not recurred since I adjusted my suspension up - now much better (firmer front and rear) than it was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I a wondering if these would be a choice even over the Pirellis for my 1098... despite the rebate on the Pirellis? The first tire I ever fell in love with was a Metzeler way back decades ago and have been considering trying them out again. Just the fact that Pirelli owns Metzeler makes me wonder.. anyone want to weigh in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I absolutely can recommend these M7 RR tyres! I started with a set of M5's on my duc 900ss carby, after the diabolo's that were fitted by the previous owner. They lasted around 14000 km's after I wore them down till the bare belts.. I rode them all weather for work: cold, freezing rain, hot summer days, they never gave an inch away.. ? Put around 6 trackdays on them as well..
After wearing these down, the M7Rr's came out! This was of course a no brained for me! I must say I was surprised how much improvement they were over the M5's, especially during track days.. I did not really felt much difference on the road as the M5's are very good as well. The m7's give even more bite on the dry, even in the wet they are confident enough to do a knee down (on the track)

After switching from 900ss to 999s 2005, I immediately got the M7's. I've now
around 11000 km's including around 4 trackdays on them and I'm still some mm or two from the wear limit.
They are surprisingly confident and very predictable when powering hot out off the curve: they give away on full lean without surprises and tell you when you reach the limit.

Super stable when braking hard as well, and very good in the wet or slippery roads..

I can highly recommend them for general use in all conditions (even snow) with very good performance on the track! (I could easily follow the wanna-be guys with slicks!!) (of course a slick is faster if driven as you should when having slick tyres)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I absolutely can recommend these M7 RR tyres! I started with a set of M5's on my duc 900ss carby, after the diabolo's that were fitted by the previous owner. They lasted around 14000 km's after I wore them down till the bare belts.. I rode them all weather for work: cold, freezing rain, hot summer days, they never gave an inch away.. ? Put around 6 trackdays on them as well..
After wearing these down, the M7Rr's came out! This was of course a no brained for me! I must say I was surprised how much improvement they were over the M5's, especially during track days.. I did not really felt much difference on the road as the M5's are very good as well. The m7's give even more bite on the dry, even in the wet they are confident enough to do a knee down (on the track)

around 11000 km's including around 4 trackdays on them and I'm still some mm or two from the wear limit.
They are surprisingly confident and very predictable when powering hot out off the curve: they give away on full lean without surprises and tell you when you reach the limit.

Super stable when braking hard as well, and very good in the wet or slippery roads..

I can highly recommend them for general use in all conditions (even snow) with very good performance on the track! (I could easily follow the wanna-be guys with slicks!!) (of course a slick is faster if driven as you should when having slick tyres)

Agree with the above, Jen, though I have yet to ride the Duc in snow. I liked the M5s a lot, and am on a set of M7RRs now, which feel even stickier. I've also tried the Z8s but didn't like them --not enough grip to do a bump-start when the R/R let me down.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts

How on earth do you get 11,000 kms out of a tyre? Any tyre? The best I've ever got out of a tyre was about 6500kms on a set of Diablos (just Diablos, not Rossos or Corsas) - but they were pumped up to 2-3 psi higher than I normally run, and I was very scrupulous about sticking to the speed limit (did the full mileage on a ride to the Burt Munro challenge - at the other end of the country to me) due to large numbers of cops out at the time. And no - I do NOT use my back brake a lot. Actually - half the time, the back brake doesn't work at all...

I mean - looking at your pics, it looks like you use them plenty hard, but 11,000kms!? I don't know whether to be embarrassed or jealous.

I managed 5500 on my M7RR's which isn't much, but still 20% better than I usually get (4500 kms) from a set of Diablos. OK, they wore nice and evenly, no flat spot in the middle - but then the roads I ride on are far from straight.

BTW - that mileage means I pay more per km for my tyres than I do for my gas :eek: (~9.09 c/km for tyres, ~8.6 c/km for gas).

Oh - and pressures (F/R) - Diablos 32/36, M7RR 34/36 - and they feel like they would work slightly better at 35 or 36 in the front, whereas the Diablos are much happier at 32 rather than 34.

As for the riding - I liked the M7RR's. As Jens states - they work damn well in the wet. I did a couple of thousand kms in the wet with mine, and not one slip (not one knee down either ;)) - and the dry weather performance was better than me - I never got them to do anything nasty, despite trying as hard as I was game to while not on a track on a track bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the M7 is what i run on all my street bikes. it would pretty much take an act of god for me to change to another tyre.

the cold grip is out of this world good, like unexpectedly good.
grip when warm is plenty good for any kind of aggressive street riding, and would even do OK at a fairly brisk track pace.

the M7 OWNS !!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
the M7 is what i run on all my street bikes. it would pretty much take an act of god for me to change to another tyre.

the cold grip is out of this world good, like unexpectedly good.

grip when warm is plenty good for any kind of aggressive street riding, and would even do OK at a fairly brisk track pace.

the M7 OWNS !!!
I agree 110% with you. Best multi weather sport tyre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts