Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from test riding a SF 848 and I must say, it is so much better suited for riding on the road. The power delivery and the usability on low RPM was awesome. I was super impressed. The higher bars and rake was totally noticeable too. Oh and the matte black is awesome looking.

Am I crazy to want to trade my 2010 SFS 1098 for one?

If no, what mods have you guys done to make it more street-able? I hear a lower front sprocket?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
No, If I wanted that I'd get a Multi- I really like the F1098!

But -its not for everyone..

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's crazy if you ask me!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I wouldn't trade your 1098SF for the 848SF. That would be crazy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got back from test riding a SF 848 and I must say, it is so much better suited for riding on the road. The power delivery and the usability on low RPM was awesome. I was super impressed. The higher bars and rake was totally noticeable too. Oh and the matte black is awesome looking.

Am I crazy to want to trade my 2010 SFS 1098 for one?

If no, what mods have you guys done to make it more street-able? I hear a lower front sprocket?
If it suits your riding, why not trade? You might even end up getting more cash in your hands

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
The 1098 is a much more demanding bike and is not for everyone. It is like a barely broken stalion. 848 is a Shetland pony;) bwahahahah

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Hey Michael.

What you really mean is that FOR YOU and possibly your local roads the 848 is a better bike. And that is a totally fair and valid thing to say.

To mellow a 1098 we reflash the ecu's or get an FI Chip. Many lighten the suspension way up, and find a handlebar that suits them comfortably. It takes money and time, and lets you use the incredible 1098 engine on regular streets much more easily. But its still a big twin superbike engine, so it is still a handful. Its still an advanced riders bike. I think guys that can throw a 1098SF around forget they are actually very accomplished riders. And they forget the brains and experience it took them to get to that point. And then, usually good naturedly, they just give everyone else crap all the time. :)

Honestly, you sound pretty backed off by the 1098 - not so good - and unless you are willing to make changes to the machine, and grow into the 1098, then the 848 is the best bike for you. Just look at your own reaction to the 848. Your incredibly good experience with the 848 is just about answering your own question here.

Get alot/all the information and then do what is best for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it suits your riding, why not trade? You might even end up getting more cash in your hands
Logically, this totally makes sense, but I'm having a hard time getting over all the goodies bits you lose in the trade. Ohlins, Marchisini wheels, etc. You do gain ABS and DTC though.

Also hate how much money you'll lose on the SFS. :)

Thanks for everyone that responded. I guess I am crazy. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, If I wanted that I'd get a Multi- I really like the F1098!

But -its not for everyone..
I don't think the multi is a fair comparison. I also test rode a 1100 EVO Monster. That thing was boring. :)

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I don't think the multi is a fair comparison. I also test rode a 1100 EVO Monster. That thing was boring. :)
Just trying to help. You requested a more useable engine and higher bars...still makes the same power!!! I was looking myself...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Michael.

What you really mean is that FOR YOU and possibly your local roads the 848 is a better bike. And that is a totally fair and valid thing to say.

To mellow a 1098 we reflash the ecu's or get an FI Chip. Many lighten the suspension way up, and find a handlebar that suits them comfortably. It takes money and time, and lets you use the incredible 1098 engine on regular streets much more easily. But its still a big twin superbike engine, so it is still a handful. Its still an advanced riders bike. I think guys that can throw a 1098SF around forget they are actually very accomplished riders. And they forget the brains and experience it took them to get to that point. And then, usually good naturedly, they just give everyone else crap all the time. :)

Honestly, you sound pretty backed off by the 1098 - not so good - and unless you are willing to make changes to the machine, and grow into the 1098, then the 848 is the best bike for you. Just look at your own reaction to the 848. Your incredibly good experience with the 848 is just about answering your own question here.

Get alot/all the information and then do what is best for you.
Thanks a lot for your helpful post. I'm actually a decent rider. 30+ track days under my belt etc. The 1098 is great when you get past 4K, but boy is it horrible, clunky and stutter-y below that. And when you're riding in the streets in real roads and conditions you tend to be in that lower power band quite a bit. I guess the 848 is a more "tamed" machine and it more to my liken when just cruising around. I have a sport bike also, so I was looking for something more lively then a Monster, but still able to act as a good street machine / sport tourer.

So an ECU tune, more comfortable handlebars and soften up the suspension? Is there anything else you would recommend?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just trying to help. You requested a more useable engine and higher bars...still makes the same power!!! I was looking myself...
Oh totally. I appreciate the response. The multi was just not sport enough as with the monster I rode. :) I guess what I want is a 848 S model which Ducati doesn't make.

The 848 has 20MM higher bars and a different rake which together was actually quite noticeable.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm probably - eventually - going to trade the SF for a Panigale, or an S100RR........or perhaps even a Guzzi Stelvio........depends on my mood on the day...

jdw

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm probably - eventually - going to trade the SF for a Panigale, or an S100RR........or perhaps even a Guzzi Stelvio........depends on my mood on the day...

jdw

And that's why you need multiple bikes. :). I have a base 1199 on order. Looking for a more tame bike that is still fun to sport tour, longer day rides and plain hooligan-ing. Hence the naked bike upright style bikes like the SF.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Methinks you should also try setting up the suspension for you personally. I'd never trade my 1098 for an 848SF, the bike suits me personally and I have had the suspension set up for me personally. Also with new BSB's fitted the handling is utterly awesome. Some bikes you get on and they feel right for you from the off - the SF1098 did that for me, but with the mods is now even better. Next stop that new Alpha Dog system...

·
Registered
490 Posts
For the amount of money you guys with a 1098 spend to make this "not for everyone" bike become a little bit more rideable, it seems to me "not for everyone" means stupid waste of $$$. If you want the macho stance, you should keep it untamed. At least you would be macho, prove that you really have cullones, and would be smart at the same time (if that is possible).

Or buy the 848. After all, 0-60, the 848 is faster. Also 848 is faster coming out of corners due to power band issues. And no need to invest (waste) $$$ to make it more rideable. Okay, faster on straights... that's the 1098. But you are not showing your skills there, are you?

If I wanted a bike that is "not for everyone", I would just buy a Panigale instead. :) Or buy and keep the 1098 as is, instead of wasting $$$ to make it ride more like the 848. With all the changes you make to the 1098, you make it a bike for everyone, except for the $$$ spent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can justify the extra £££ spent on the suspension setup and BSB's as I bought mine as an ex demo with 180 miles on the clock ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Methinks you should also try setting up the suspension for you personally. I'd never trade my 1098 for an 848SF, the bike suits me personally and I have had the suspension set up for me personally. Also with new BSB's fitted the handling is utterly awesome. Some bikes you get on and they feel right for you from the off - the SF1098 did that for me, but with the mods is now even better. Next stop that new Alpha Dog system...
I had my suspension setup for my weight last week and it was the #1 best addition I've spent on my SF. Makes a MASSIVE difference.

The bike works infinitely better on the road and makes me much more confident when I'm riding it. The suspension was setup way too stiff for me from the factory. I wasn't getting accurate feedback about what the bike is doing below me. Now I'm a ton more confident.

Invest in this "mod" if you haven't.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts