Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for new tires for my 07 1098 Tricolore, since she's still got the original tires on her from 2007 (it has a whopping 2700 miles on it now) and the S20 Hypersports come up as consistently recommended.

I found the s21 is the replacement for the s20 and would love some feedback on the differences between the two. (Both are still available)

I'm an up-and-down rider, zero track time, and live in Florida, so wet weather traction is important.

Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Honestly, unless you're just wanting sport tires to have them, from the riding style and conditions you're describing I'd look at sport touring tires. If you're needing wet traction, and aren't going to be doing any hard cornering, any of the modern ST tires will fill your needs bill better than hyper sport tires, and wear 2-3 times longer.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Ive been using the S20 for years on several bikes. It is my favorite all around tire, I've used a lot of tires. :)

The S20 has great grip under all conditions. It wears well and retains its performance when worn down in the middle better than any tire I've ever used. The S20 has the most neutral steering and gives the best feel and feedback of all the sport tired I've used. Even when cold. They need little or no warm up to feel great.

All these comments are based on street use. Not on a race track.

I've just recently put on a set of S21 for my trip to the mountains in a couple of weeks. Visually the 21 is a very different profile from the 20. The rear is a much broader and rounded profile and the front is a very tall profile with very steep and rounded shoulders.

I don't have much time on them yet but my initial impression is I don't like the steering as much as the S20. The feedback is vague and there's a slight sensation of falling into the corner compared to theS20. To me they feel very much like the Michelin PP3.

Honestly I need more time on the S21. In about three weeks after I've spent a week up around Deals Gap I'll know for sure. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had two sets of S20s and have found that they wore faster than the Metzelers I've replaced them with. In particular, the front seems to lose its profile rather quickly and develop flat edges on the sides within a few hundred kms of twisty riding. Also, I agree with hillbilly on the sport touring tires for your requirements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts