Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Pierobon 999RS frame (with the stiffener tubes) and the Pierobon RS kit swingarm for my 2006 999R. While I am waiting for it to arrive I understand that the stiffness is adjustible with inserts (how?) and that the whole feel of the bike is different. Obviously it is stiffer (my R tends to wind up and flex in certain situations on the track, hence the purchase) but will this require a softer suspension setup to compensate for the lack of flex soaking up bumps? The good news is that there are almost no bumps on the track we race on.

Does anyone have any experience with setup using an RS frame? I am curious about your opinion of it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
while we all would like to have the stiffest possible frame, many teams struggle to find the right balance.
The challenge is not while upright, it is when leaned over as the suspension (at extreme lean angles) does not absorb bumps. You can read of some teams making parts of frames more compliant so that the bikes won't get upset mind corner by a bump.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Everybody's quips about what they've read about chassis stiffness/flex are great and all, but I think what he's looking for is actual setup tips from somebody who has ridden or raced with the Pierobon frame.

Just sayin'....

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Ben, that pic is pure sex. I can't wait to get my project RS done... And to the original poster, the inserts are what Ben is talking about, you can remove them if you want. Right below the tank...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically, that is my bike, but with a crappy race fairing with rashed lower edges and a one off Akro prototype exhaust I got from JHP in 2007.

I do run the original Ohlins forks for now, but may upgrade eventually once the rest of the bike is done (long throw crank, 58mm TBodies, Weber Marelli dash and a race wiring harness).

The irony is that the race series I run it in places an age limit on the bikes, after 2011 it may have to be retired, even though now it is as quick in a straight line as a blueprinted 09 R1 or Aprilia RSV4 with dynojet and a complete race exhaust. Maybe even quicker as I am not tiny, but some of the guys I pass are.

JHP suggests that bumpy tracks make the extra stiffness a handful, so people take the stiffeners out. As our track is smooth I may just want to leave them in and try it.

I was just wondering if there are additional things which bolt into the frame elsewhere to change the stiffness.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I suppose it's not about trying to find a fix for suspension problems rather than buying and owning such a gorgeous piece of accessory.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flex seems to be a feature of the grippy nature and layout of the track. The Dubai autodrome is like a billiard table. I have done perhaps 1000 laps of it and there are 3 bumps. One corner in particular has high positive camber on an uphill portion which then changes to off camber downhill. The uphill portion loads the frame and suspension tremendously, the next corner releases all the energy and the bike grips and then loses grip, while it "walks:" itself to the edge of the track. My 888 did it, as did my 749R and 999R and a 1198S I rode there last month. My Desmo does not do it, it has the corner stability of an aircraft carrier. Slicks (more grip) make the problem on the V-twins more pronounced.

Frankly, I can ride around the problem (I kind of like the big wiggle actually) but the 999R is so flawless elsewhere that I want to try to fix it. That, and most of a leftover RS rolling chassis fell into my lap at a price I could not say no to.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Nice, I wish all that nice stuff would fall into my lap. :) Parts are hard to find...

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you don't mind us asking how much was it and do they have anymore?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One off deal for a frame, swingarm and airbox. I cannot mention the price, but they would not have any more trick bits like that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi John,

I have one of those frames on my bike and this summer I spoke to Massimo Pierobon about while visiting his workshop. He showed me different kinds of inset tubes and told me the factory experimented with three kinds made of aluminium, steel and titanium.

Some of the riders were able to notice differences when swapping between the different types of tubes but only Troy Bayliss was able to tell which was which when testing without being told the correct answer in advance.

I suggest you start off by running without the inset tubes in place as this would be quite similar to your current setup. Then, when you're familiar with the frame you can put the inset tubes in place and decide for yourself if you prefer the bike with more or less flex.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fascinating. I agree, I will run the bike back to back with the stiffeners and without. The box of stuff is waiting for me in Toronto, I will pick it up next weekend when I fly back. I cannot wait.

One thing I was told is that many 999R frames were never straight when delivered. The Pierobon one was built perfectly straight from new. Makes me wonder about how good my (never crashed) 999R actually is.

·
Registered
620 Posts
One thing I was told is that many 999R frames were never straight when delivered. The Pierobon one was built perfectly straight from new.
I've heard the same thing but I've never taken the time to accurately measure and compare my stock frames to my race ones. Ben710, however, once saw several stock frames next to one another and noticed clearly visible differences between them. It doesn't surprise me, really :)

As for the Pierobon frame you needn't worry. They're all hand built from scratch using jigs to ensure accuracy so it doesn't get much better than that. And Massimo is a wizard when it comes to welding.

Also keep in mind the Pierobon racing frames are made from CroMoly steel whereas the stock frames are made from ALS450 which is a softer, more flexible steel. The racing frames are very strong, indeed!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I tried to buy a Pierobon "street" swingarm for my 999 but they have ceased production on all 999/749 frame parts. That's the only swingarm that would fit my 54mm Termignoni full exhaust w/o modifying it. Maybe that's a good thing, it saved me $4000 !!!!! Still like to get a used one though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts