Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for almost 15 years. Until recently I've never listened to music while riding. Curious if anyone else listens to music while riding?

I've only done this on back country roads. Wouldn't want to do this in traffic/city riding that's for sure.

I had one of my best rides the other day. Zero traffic, cool temps, music... I'm not religious, but. Man, that was one hell of a ride. Would have been great without music, but it was even better with it.

My guess is that some may think its dangerous and would never do this. I can clearly see how it can be too big of a distraction for some. I just can't believe after all these years I've never tried it.

To music, or not to music?

·
Registered
162 Posts
To music. I use headphones that just sit on the ear as opposed to in it, so I still maintain some semblance of external situational awareness. Don't see it being any different than a driver with his radio on in that regard.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
When I take long rides I'll listen to music, I have about a gig of mp3's on the sd card in my gps so the music gets interrupted for driving directions then starts right back up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was ahead of my time back in the day, I bought two small speakers from Radio Shack and wired them into my Bell Helmet, locating them under the earfoam and leaving a pigtail with a plug, and the connected that to the output of a Sony Walkman. I kept the volume down and didn't use it often in any event, mostly on longer trips.

I love listening to my Ducati and don't really tour anymore, so I haven't had any inclination to bring the MP3 player along.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The musicis in my head. No external broadcast or recording devices are necessary.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No music here. Not opposed. I just like to get away, hear the road, motor, exhaust, etc. Even on long trips. Same in the cage sometimes.
Some think I'm nuts. I KNOW I am...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Sometimes I do. The only problem I have is that the music I tend to listen to makes me.... tends to make me.... ride in ways that might get me in trouble. Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" and "Let Sally Drive" tends to get me into trouble :eek:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
easing into it of late, but i still let the ride dictate when to.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I do

I love to "rock on down the highway". I have almost 4000 tunes in my I-pod & use Etymotic ER6i earbuds with a remote control for the ipod on top of my tankbag. Here's my set-up.
gregg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I love to "rock on down the highway". I have almost 4000 tunes in my I-pod & use Etymotic ER6i earbuds with a remote control for the ipod on top of my tankbag. Here's my set-up.
gregg
+1 on the ipod with ER6's, great set-up. These earbuds are so far ahead of the junk you get as standard there is simply no comparison. And you get a choice of earplug sizes. Shop on Amazon for the best deals.

On a longer out of town ride I use it, music volume moderate so whatever audio blockage I get is comparable to standard earplugs. At the volume I have it it's just a nicer background that residual windnoise. I find I don't really concentrate on the music as much as when driving or walking/running, which is what I got the ipod for originally.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All the time Ipod touch and sure ec4. Very nice noise canceling and exceptional sound. I wear a bandana over my head and ears to ease the helmet going over.

·
Registered
77 Posts
gregg
Where's the subwoofer? :D...just kidding, it looks like a great setup.
I just use a Nano ipod mounted in an arm band (made for jogging) and ZAGG ear buds with volume control on the cord. That gives me easy access to controls and don't have to unplug if I dismount the bike.
If I don't use music ear buds I have to use ear plugs on longer rides, the Termis are pretty loud and apparently the wrong frequency for my ears. I can still hear fine around me and especially my exhaust when listening to music. Just a few hours ago I was carving great canyon roads at 90mph listening to Ozzy and having a blast. Whatever rings people's bells I guess...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Autocom with 8gig zune tucked under the seat everytime I ride. Once I figure out a way to mount it Ill have my radar detector wired into the Autocom as well. Occasionally Ill plug my phone in on longer trips to use as a bike to bike with my best friend, but not very often.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I love to "rock on down the highway". I have ... my I-pod & use Etymotic ER6i earbuds ...
gregg
I did the same until last January. I stopped at a fantastic beach for a swim (summer here). I stowed the Etymotics in a pannier for safety, having removed them from my tankbag.

I opened the pannier after the swim and must have lost the earbuds onto the tarmac - DOH. So now I have custom-molded ear phones which are popular here for their hearing protection. I also found the Etymotics very effective at external noise sealing and hi-fi in their sound reproduction. I use the iPod on longer rides, but if its a very demanding twisty/hilly route, then I'll just have that beautiful engine note for music.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When slabbing it I use iphone with pandora radio app. Just like satellite :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
?
...I don't get it. You guys are riding the best sounding bikes on the planet and you're listening to MP's?! And stay off the slabs.

I listen to the Ferraccis' booming out the back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts