Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one at the Chicago Auto Show and was very impressed. Has anyone been on one? Impressions?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I rode one this Fall. (BMW/Ducati of Charlotte) It was just a short test ride but I really liked it! It's got lot's of power and a nice loping sound sorta' like a big block V8. I was also impressed with the way it tracked. Irregular road surfaces didn't seem to bother it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I also tested one. Fast. Really fast. It is very deceptive because it is very solid. It does not have the personality of a twin (good or bad depending upon how you look at it).
I really liked the bike and would have bought one but my wife did not like her position on the back.
I was coming off of an RT so she was spoiled! There is not much not to like once you get used to it. BMW's are not bikes that grab you right away though. You need to spend some good quality time on it to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
atypical1 said:
BMW's are not bikes that grab you right away though. You need to spend some good quality time on it to get used to it.
Amen to that. But once you get used to one it's hard not to like it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode a 1200S from Rome to and around Sicily last Spring. Plenty of power, great brakes, clunky transmission and clumsy in the twisties. Very heavy to pull up on the center stand. Maybe it was an early edition ?
I own a '02 BMW K1200RS and I prefer it to the 1200S. I traded in my 749s for an ST4s this fall and I think it runs rings around the 1200S.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Outstanding bike. Next generation sporting ride imo. Suspension, ESA, handling innovation. Great performance. Spot on ergos... hit the curves nearby, hit them two states away. Doesn't have the booming l-twin but is the finest i-4 sounding engine I've heard. Deep and low.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I took a short test ride last summer. Feels great, STUNNING brakes, the gearbox was a bit rough. Sound of the engine a little, how should I put it, kinda too loud, not like the Japanese rivalry and not like V-twins, but somehow it wasn't right.

To really know this bike, it needs a looong test ride, through twisties, highways etc. A Finnish bike-magazine had a 30000km test with it and they took it apart after it, just normal wear.

This could be my next bike, say within the next 5 - 10 years, but you never know what comes on in 10 years.. oh, and the pricetag limits a bit; + 20.000 EUR..

·
Registered
156 Posts
A friend of mine is picking one up this week, I’m hoping I can take a spin on it this spring. I love that bike, although it’s a pig compared to my ST3 and 954RR. It does fit me well, even though I'm 5'5", it's pretty low.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
VIVID1 said:
A friend of mine is picking one up this week, I’m hoping I can take a spin on it this spring. I love that bike, although it’s a pig compared to my ST3 and 954RR.
Definitely take it on a spin. It is not really a pig once you get used to it. It takes a slightly different riding style to really make it dance. The brakes are STRONG which means you can come into a turn much hotter than you can on your Duc and you will out accelerate a LOT of other bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
atypical1 said:
Definitely take it on a spin. It is not really a pig once you get used to it. It takes a slightly different riding style to really make it dance. The brakes are STRONG which means you can come into a turn much hotter than you can on your Duc and you will out accelerate a LOT of other bikes.
Are you saying that a bike that is heavier than the ST3 will outbrake it because of STRONG brakes???

BTW I am no fan of BMW brakes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I test rode the 1200 S last summer before my 999 purchase. Great bike! If ....big "if", I'm in the position of owning two bikes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 1200 S for sports touring. The bike was deceptively fast, and very smooth. Now of course I bought the 999 for a reason. The BMW was like a Hoover vacuum. It worked well but didn't inspire me. My 999 makes want to zing around all day, and when I'm tired I switch to staring at it all day : )

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
GordyNM said:
Are you saying that a bike that is heavier than the ST3 will outbrake it because of STRONG brakes???
BTW I am no fan of BMW brakes.
It is entirely possible. A lot of factors go into how quickly a bike can brake. These include, but are not limited to, weight of bike, strength of that bike's brakes, available traction, and rider skill.
BMW brakes give you a ton of confidence. That confidence will translate to most people being able to go very fast into a corner.
Not everyone is a fan of the brakes. My MTS brake is pretty much useless to me (or so it feels). I don't necessarily like linked brakes but they have their place and work well on touring bikes.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
RTR said:
The BMW was like a Hoover vacuum. It worked well but didn't inspire me. My 999 makes want to zing around all day, and when I'm tired I switch to staring at it all day : )
I agree and that is the reason I went to Ducati from BMW.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very Nice Ride

Quick, agile for a 500+ pound bike, and very sure footed even on frost heaved roads. But not enough to get me off my '02 K1200RS either. I use my 748 for playtime.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
RTR said:
The BMW was like a Hoover vacuum.
Are you saying that the BMW sucked? :eek:

I love BMW's. (I've had a bunch over the years. Before my R1200GS I had a K1200RS.) But they don't give you the same excitement that a Ducati does. K Bikes are fast and steady. They make great sport/touring bikes. But they lack the "fire" (soul? excitement? sound? feeling?) that you find in a Ducati. I hate to admit it but if I could only own one bike it would probably be my BMW because I know it will do just about anything that I want it to do . . . . in an unexciting way. (Sorta' like a Hoover vacuum.)

(I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the forum.)

My problem is that there are too many good bikes out there and too little time (and money). :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
atypical1 said:
It is entirely possible. A lot of factors go into how quickly a bike can brake. These include, but are not limited to, weight of bike, strength of that bike's brakes, available traction, and rider skill.
BMW brakes give you a ton of confidence. That confidence will translate to most people being able to go very fast into a corner.
Not everyone is a fan of the brakes. My MTS brake is pretty much useless to me (or so it feels). I don't necessarily like linked brakes but they have their place and work well on touring bikes.
The big BMW will not out stop my ST3. No way. No how. I have owned BMWs and the brakes are power assisted, so they give you the impression of power, but if I can lock up a wheel with two fingers, how is the power assisted brake doing a better job? ABS has been demonstrated to actually cause longer stops unless the rider is lacking skill. I have also had a VFR with linked brakes for a comparison. Linked ABS brakes are NOT very confidence inspiring when pushing a bike quickly through twisties. They do wierd unpredictable stuff especially when the rear wheel gets light, which is occuring all the time under hard braking. Maybe loaded up with camping gear or two up linked ABS is OK but they have no business on a sport tourer, IMO.
One more thing to consider on BMW brakes is thay you have to take the newer versions to the dealer for bleeding. That $70/Hr + service bill for something as mundane as bleeding the brakes will leave a mark.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not intentionally hijacking a thread. Guys want info on the new BMW. Brakes are a pretty big deal to a sport touring bike. I would have appreciated info like this before I bought mine. Go to some other forums and do a search on BMW brakes. You will get an earfull.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.