Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great running 97 supersport sp. I've read all the posts saying how great the Kiehin 41mm fcr's are and wonder if anyone regrets getting them. It seems that alot of people got them because of problems with the stock carbs. How much improvement are the fcr's on an otherwise good running supersport. Are they worth upgrading to on a stock bike with only FBF slipons with jet kit and a k&n with open top airbox. My suspension has already been addressed with an ohlins rear shock and traxxion front forks.

I plan to order the fcr's from Ca Cycleworks in the next couple of days if you guys think it's worth it.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd say you'll probably get 100% concensus on this....FCRs really are worth it. Bought mine in 1998 for a '96 900SS I had. They ran great on a stocker and since have run great on a 944SS. Surprisinly little had to be changed (needle taper) to get them to run on the 944SS. They've been 100% reliable. Having no choke is a minor pain in the colder riding season but not a big deal. Some report a hanging idle but that can be cured.

The Perfromance gains speak for themselves and that alone makes the FCRs worth it but I've appreaciated them for the more subtle features. FCRs are far easier to fine tune with very responsive slow fuel jets and slow air adjustments. You can actually get proper off idle response, no surging with partial throttle and a very nice transition through slow fuel to needle to main. They truly are state of the art instruments as far as carbs go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
DO IT!more power, quicker response,better fuel mileage, hell they even sound better.mine were a little tricky to start but no problem once i got the drill for my machine. i was going to convert to fuel injection but i am sold on the fcr.:D:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Maybe a minority opinion here, but I've ridden my friends bike with FCRs and didn't think they were worth the $1000 that you end up spending. I threw some hi comp pistons on my bike for less than half that and was very happy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 41's are the only performance parts left on my SS motor. After going 944 to 966, I'm back to a stock FE 904 motor.
The Fcr's on the stock motor are responsive through out the whole rpm range.
I have Dynacoils on as well. I'm pretty much done with 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies.
The sport is expensive. Old SS's and their parts are no different.

just .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 41's are the only performance parts left on my SS motor. After going 944 to 966, I'm back to a stock FE 904 motor.
The Fcr's on the stock motor are responsive through out the whole rpm range.
I have Dynacoils on as well. I'm pretty much done with 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies.
The sport is expensive. Old SS's and their parts are no different.

just .02 cents worth.
sorry for the hijack -

Why go back to stock 904 ? Just started on a TT2 with a 904cc and working out what mods to do, can you send me PM of your different stages and review/impression, ie, stock + FCR - 944 with FCR ?
Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
RAD02,

TT2 with 904 engine sounds interesting to me....May I suggest a new thread with some pics please !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. It sounds like the FCR's are the way to go.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've only had FCR carbs on my 94 and other than starting for the first time (it never really gets cold down here) never had any issues.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I like pain, so I'm trying to mount Mikuni 41mm flat slides to my 944. I'll keep apprised of how it goes, because they are way cheaper than FCR's due to lower demand, do to less people knowing about them. Might be awhile, I have a few customers restos to get out of the way before getting back to fitting them.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They're worth every cent. Get the dyna coils too though.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
In case you haven't heard enough yet, I'll add my 2 cents. The Keihin FCR 41 carbs were the best modification I did to my 1997 900 SS/SP! I did Superbike forks, Penske shock, Marvic magnesium wheels, high comp pistons, etc. and none of these made as big a difference as the Keihins. I live in Wyoming and I don't have any trouble starting the bike with them. Just give the throttle 2 or 3 twists and varoom!
Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone!

I'll call chris at ca cycleworks in the morning.

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
My single biggest gripe about the 91-98 SS was carb icing. I would get this in any weather below 50F if there was finite humidity in the air. So far, the FCRs seem to have cured this! That, plus the kick in the pants upon throttle twist makes them worth it to me!

96SP

Thanks again everyone!

I'll call chris at ca cycleworks in the morning.

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
We own 2 900 's. Mine is a 94 with 41 FCRs my wife's is a 95 with stock carbs. Mine has much better throttle response and better low and mid range power. I also get about 40 kms more out of a tank of gas. Would love to get FCRs for the 95.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe a minority opinion here, but I've ridden my friends bike with FCRs and didn't think they were worth the $1000 that you end up spending. I threw some hi comp pistons on my bike for less than half that and was very happy.

I have to agree, my '94 with Hi-comp pistons was certainly a match in a straight line for my mates '95 with FCR's. His felt quicker and while opening the throttle had more but once we hit WOT my bike slowly pulled away.

I must make time to get that engine into my new bike ... then add FCR's to it ...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have to agree, my '94 with Hi-comp pistons was certainly a match in a straight line for my mates '95 with FCR's. His felt quicker and while opening the throttle had more but once we hit WOT my bike slowly pulled away.

I must make time to get that engine into my new bike ... then add FCR's to it ...
High Comp pistons and FCRs is even better :D! Also, +1 on carb icing if you live in a cool climate. Here in Wyoming, it was a always a problem with the Mikunis when I commuted in the morning, except June-August. Never has happened with the Keihins.
Joe

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Spitfire, The 41 Mikunis work fine as race carbs.The only real problem is you have to run the float level on the horiz. cly very low to keep it from peeing due to the angle of the manifold.If you fab a manifold you can run into clearance problems with the float bowl and the cases or the top of the carb and coil mounts etc. It all depends on how much you want to relocate things.The beauty of the FCR's is they pretty much fall on.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
+1 to FCR's AND Hi-Comp pistons.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts