Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any potential downside I should be aware of as I consider adding a couple teeth to the rear for a little more zip?

·
Registered
67 Posts
More wear on the rear tire and on the rear sprocket as well. You will also loose top speed, if that is important to you.

I went a bit extreme with -1 on front and +2 on rear (14/42 set on carpimoto.it) along with a full termi exhaust and race mapping. Can’t imagine going back to stock settings.

One mechanic also told me recently that the -1 on front induces wear on the swing arm because the lower diameter of the sprocket means the chain will rub against it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great feedback, thanks Bogdan

More wear on the rear tire and on the rear sprocket as well. You will also loose top speed, if that is important to you.

I went a bit extreme with -1 on front and +2 on rear (14/42 set on carpimoto.it) along with a full termi exhaust and race mapping. Can’t imagine going back to stock settings.

One mechanic also told me recently that the -1 on front induces wear on the swing arm because the lower diameter of the sprocket means the chain will rub against it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
More wear on the tire? How do you figure?

+2 on the rear is the best/cheapest/simplest HUGE upgrade you can do to this bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
More wear on the tire? How do you figure?

+2 on the rear is the best/cheapest/simplest HUGE upgrade you can do to this bike.
I'm assuming because the acceleration forces will be stronger, causing the tire to wear faster. Essentially more intense acceleration.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 15/43 setup on my 2013 1200GT (stock 15/40) and really enjoy the higher RPMs at the slower speeds through sharper corners. The tradeoff is slightly lower top speed but I'm rarely up there. Overall quite pleased.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Many smarter, better riders than me is this forum. I strongly considered their advice about sprocket changes. Then I realized I'm just an old guy that doesn't go off road or do track days and enjoys the 4/5 RPM range and cruising at 70mph or so. Sure, I get cocky and touch 6/7 RPM occasionally but not often. I guess Bologna had old slow guys like me in mind when they selected the sprockets.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
802 Posts
15\42 best mod for Multi's ever!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I went -1/+2... definitely didn't regret it but chain wear increased. I did go back to stock and I think on next chain I'm going to go with 0/+2 or +3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 14 on the front and 41 on the rear. I have 18,000 miles on my current chain(DID X ring) and Sprocket Center sprockets with almost no visible wear. I also get around 5,000 miles out of my rear Scorpion Trail 2 tires. I totally agree with those who have stated that is all about how aggressively you ride.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Any potential downside I should be aware of as I consider adding a couple teeth to the rear for a little more zip?
Wellcome to the Multi forum Laker213(y). I put a 2 tooth larger sprocket and a quick change carrier on my 2010 1200 multi, and it made it more rideable around town, and it would still pull 245kph on the open road. Its a very good mod and doesn't under gear the big twin, its perfect also for tight back roads and gravel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wellcome to the Multi forum Laker213(y). I put a 2 tooth larger sprocket and a quick change carrier on my 2010 1200 multi, and it made it more rideable around town, and it would still pull 245kph on the open road. Its a very good mod and doesn't under gear the big twin, its perfect also for tight back roads and gravel.
Thanks buddy, good to see you! I’m definitely getting this done soon because I’m itching to do something. Unfortunately for my hobbies fund, I don’t have your good sense and will be ordering lighter wheels soon too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks buddy, good to see you! I’m definitely getting this done soon because I’m itching to do something. Unfortunately for my hobbies fund, I don’t have your good sense and will be ordering lighter wheels soon too.
Unfortunately for my hobbies fund I've spent so much on little extra's like full systems, Ohlins etc, only to sell the bike 12 months later. I actually only ever brought for the first Multi (owned for 8-9 years) a screen a clutch slave, a quick change carrier and a 42 tooth sprocket, nothing else other than running costs. If i had a bike that was a life time keeper (i tell my wife every bike I've brought is a life time keeper and the last one) id love some forged wheels, but down in NZ these things are eFing expensive. Still i can dream, and look at yours of course.;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Were you still able to use the stock length chain(108 links) with the 42 tooth rear sprocket?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Were you still able to use the stock length chain(108 links) with the 42 tooth rear sprocket?
At the time i changed to the 42 tooth, i fitted a new DID chain, so I'm not sure if the stock length chain would fit. On my 1290R i also fitted a 2 tooth larger rear sprocket, and the stock chain when new wouldn't quite reach over, but after 4000kms it did reach. If your chain is new (low kms on bike) it may not quite reach over.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts