Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hard to believe but I'm already putting on my second set of tires.

I have BT016's on the 1098 - nice tire but a bit slow in turn-in. What I like about them is the feedback - I can really tell when they heat up and get sticky.

The stock Pirellis are okay but I don't find them to be anything special - nothing bad, but nothing stands out either.

I'm going with 2CT's this time around. A little more expensive than the BT016 but a little less than the corsa III's.

I'll decide if I like them better than the Bridgstones and then probably stick to one or the other for a while.

Anybody else try different tires on the F1098 yet?

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
What sort of miles did you get out of the pirelli's? I'm nearing 3k miles, nothing brutal to speak of in terms of pushing the tires.

I do like the 2CT, I have gone thru a couple sets on my S2R and the ex-ST3s. Very confident tire.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
3200 miles and the rear tire is pretty shot. I guess I'm hard on tires.
You gotta get a harder compound tire if you're gonna keep doing those burnouts...:D

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
you realize that the DTC is calibrated to the Pirelli III's ... the only settings that will be relatively unaffected by different tires are the 1-3 (race settings for DTC).. the rest of the settings will be off (though whether it will be in a conservative or dangerous way I have no idea, it probably depends on the tire profile).

·
Registered
465 Posts
you realize that the DTC is calibrated to the Pirelli III's ... the only settings that will be relatively unaffected by different tires are the 1-3 (race settings for DTC).. the rest of the settings will be off (though whether it will be in a conservative or dangerous way I have no idea, it probably depends on the tire profile).
How is that possible? I thought DTC worked by sensing the rotational velocity of the wheels.

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st - I don't ride with the DTC on anyway, I don't like it at all.
2nd - the tire size will only affect the amount of input from the DTC, the only effect will be a slight difference in when and how much it initiates.
So if for instance, I was used to some interaction with the DTC on setting 6, that amount of interaction may slightly change. But since I don't use it - any interaction will be new to me, so there will be nothing to change from.

If I were doing track days and relied on it for control out of corners I'd have to go through the dial-in process again to make sure I had the right setting for the amount of traction control I wanted.

Just for grins, I will measure the circumference of the tires to see how different they are.

·
Registered
465 Posts

I have BT016's on the 1098 - nice tire but a bit slow in turn-in. What I like about them is the feedback - I can really tell when they heat up and get sticky.

The stock Pirellis are okay but I don't find them to anything special - nothing bad, but nothing stands out either.

I'm going with 2CT's this time around. A little more expensive than the BT016 but a little less than the corsa III's.

I'll decide if I like them better than the Bridgstones and then probably stick to one or the other for a while.

Anybody else try different tires on the F1098 yet?[/QUOTE]
I love the Pirelli's! I just did two days at the track and they were amazing!
Way better than 2ct's IMO. And the manual does warn about changing the tire for DTC but I suspect that's more in relation to size.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
1st - I don't ride with the DTC on anyway, I don't like it at all.
2nd - the tire size will only affect the amount of input from the DTC, the only effect will be a slight difference in when and how much it initiates.
So if for instance, I was used to some interaction with the DTC on setting 6, that amount of interaction may slightly change. But since I don't use it - any interaction will be new to me, so there will be nothing to change from.

If I were doing track days and relied on it for control out of corners I'd have to go through the dial-in process again to make sure I had the right setting for the amount of traction control I wanted.

Just for grins, I will measure the circumference of the tires to see how different they are.
well obviously in this case it would not be an issue. however, as you describe the amount of DTC and when and how it initiates varies.. but this is not so much because of the circumference of the center but more when you are at a lean angle that it makes a difference because of cross sectional profile of the tire.. ie ,, at 45 degrees of lean the circumference will be different on each tire according to brand and design

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is not so much because of the circumference of the center but more when you are at a lean angle that it makes a difference because of cross sectional profile of the tire.. ie ,, at 45 degrees of lean the circumference will be different on each tire according to brand and design
I hadn't thought about that but I think you are right. The profile of the 2ct is very different from the Corse III.

Either way I think its just a matter of readjusting the settings to accommodate the new tires and your own preference.
Some careful evaluation is called for on the first few rides I'm sure.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just returned from 5 days in the Georgia/Ten/NC mountains. I left with 1700 miles on the bike and at 2300 my rear was shot and the closest tire to stock I could find up there was a Corsa III 190/50. It did alter the TC al little bit as it would activate earlier. There was one corner with lots of gravel in the middle of a blind corner which I could not avoid and the TC really came in handy. When I hit the gravel the rear tire slid out a few inches, the TC cut in and the tire regained traction and all was well (but I did have to change my underpants,)

BTW - When I ran the Dragon at Deal's gap, I never got her out of 1st gear and It would have been better if I had different gearing. There are some 15 mph corners where I was coming out of them at 2,000 rpms and the engine needs more revs to work properly. The sweet spot on this bike is above 6,000. I like to ride w/o using the brakes and let the engine decel slow me down entering the corners. But when the brakes are needed, watch out. These brakes should not be sqeezed, just touched and modulated very gently.

Overall, the bike was awesome, and it is much faster than I am.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I love the Pirelli's! I just did two days at the track and they were amazing!
Way better than 2ct's IMO. And the manual does warn about changing the tire for DTC but I suspect that's more in relation to size.

[/QUOTE]

That's one huge chicken strip you have there. Seems you're afraid of riding in a straight line.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Since I'll be putting 8-10k miles a year on this bike, I'll go with BT 021s which is what I've been using on my tuono for some time now. Don't want to be buying new sets of tires all the time.

I'm at 2500 miles and got loads of tread left tho, but then I ride like an old woman anyway

Chris

·
Registered
736 Posts
I guess that flat spot didn't interfere with some serious riding.:)
Ken
The flat spot was from riding here in Fla. I noticed it after my Friday ride and got a new one Sat morning, and I scrubbed it in Sat afternoon. The roads up there are awesome and there is no doubt that we get a little crazy, but not too crazy. I don't need to see how well my Shoei works. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts

The stock Pirellis are okay but I don't find them to be anything special - nothing bad, but nothing stands out either.

Anybody else try different tires on the F1098 yet?
BT016's for me, I have them on my S3. Certainly a lot cheaper than the 2CT's for sure but I do like the way they stick although the turn in as you say is not as good as the 2CT's. My son also works for the local Yamaha/Honda dealer so I get a good deal:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts