Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how long I can stretch my original battery. My bike being 2014, purchased new in 2015, has anyone experienced their batteries crapping out? How many years did it last? I ride my bike daily, so it's never on a tender. I never store it for the winter, I ride it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just replaced my oem battery on my 13 mts st. 5 years. Got kinda slow to start, went ahead and replaced it with a motobatt agm.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Wondering how long I can stretch my original battery. My bike being 2014, purchased new in 2015, has anyone experienced their batteries crapping out? How many years did it last? I ride my bike daily, so it's never on a tender. I never store it for the winter, I ride it.
Bought my 15 in May of 15... stored 5 months a year and still on the first battery but late last year I had some hard start issues if the bike sat for more than a couple days. Bike is on the tender all winter and starts right up... but if I have any issues this spring once I'm riding again I'll be getting a new battery.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
The standard Yuasa batteries are very good quality. I've still got one in my 2009 M1100. I'd say that getting 5-6 years from them is doable, so long as they are cared for properly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also have a '14 that was purchased new in 2015. Original battery is still in place, but slow to crank. Fine all summer, but bike will not start in some cold weather.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
So my 15 was too slow cranking to start yesterday (without a boost) after just a couple days off the tender... so I'm ordering a new battery. Not sure what I did wrong to only get 3 years (always used tender) but it's definitely not putting out enough umph anymore.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
And for the OP, my 2010 SF is still on the original battery, 55k miles later. Never been on a tender, i just charge it once mid winter because the bike sits 5 months. It's slow cranking now so i'll change it soon.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
My 12' Touring S is still on OE battery. Same with my 2010 Hypermotard. Both on tenders when not in use. I have no interest in replacing anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
So my 15 was too slow cranking to start yesterday (without a boost) after just a couple days off the tender... so I'm ordering a new battery. Not sure what I did wrong to only get 3 years (always used tender) but it's definitely not putting out enough umph anymore.
There are so many things that could contribute to batteries dying from faulty chargers, to bad/faulty regulators- Im not terribly surprised to see a 3 year replacement schedule.

I would suspect the battery tender. It could slowly cook the battery if it's not working correctly.
Very true. I wonder what brand the charger is. "Tender" is to charger what "Kleenex" is to tissue. Truth is, they are not all created equal. Battery Tender™ brand chargers (for lead acid) are really good quality. I wouldn't say the same thing about some of the other brands out there.
I personally use CTEK chargers on all of my lead acid and AGM stuff.

On thing that I have noticed with Multi's and other crossover/adventure bikes, is that owners tend to run accessories that exceed to charging systems capabilities. On most of these bikes, adding headed grips and maybe one other thing will often require more power than the stator can produce. So, you'll wind up riding with the bike often in a state of discharge.
Long story short, my experience is that a compromised charging system is often responsible for premature battery failure.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
There are so many things that could contribute to batteries dying from faulty chargers, to bad/faulty regulators- Im not terribly surprised to see a 3 year replacement schedule.

Very true. I wonder what brand the charger is. "Tender" is to charger what "Kleenex" is to tissue. Truth is, they are not all created equal. Battery Tender™ brand chargers (for lead acid) are really good quality. I wouldn't say the same thing about some of the other brands out there.
I personally use CTEK chargers on all of my lead acid and AGM stuff.

On thing that I have noticed with Multi's and other crossover/adventure bikes, is that owners tend to run accessories that exceed to charging systems capabilities. On most of these bikes, adding headed grips and maybe one other thing will often require more power than the stator can produce. So, you'll wind up riding with the bike often in a state of discharge.
Long story short, my experience is that a compromised charging system is often responsible for premature battery failure.
I use the Schumacher 1562, it got decent reviews and is relatively cheap ($30 or so), I've got a bunch of them so cheap was good... and I've not had any problems with car or tractor batteries. My first triumph tiger battery had good life using them for winter maintaining... I think I got more than 5 years out of it. I wonder though if the Multi is just more demanding... seems to want a lot of amps to crank fast enough to start, and if it's cranking even a bit slow it won't start at all.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I use the Schumacher 1562, it got decent reviews and is relatively cheap ($30 or so), I've got a bunch of them so cheap was good... and I've not had any problems with car or tractor batteries. My first triumph tiger battery had good life using them for winter maintaining... I think I got more than 5 years out of it. I wonder though if the Multi is just more demanding... seems to want a lot of amps to crank fast enough to start, and if it's cranking even a bit slow it won't start at all.
I always recommend verifying the output voltage of all chargers with a multi-meter. You never know what they are actually doing, and you can test this in less time than it took me to type this sentence. Call it cheap insurance.
If it is really only an issue during starting, its very possible that there is simply corrosion on the terminals, either at the battery, the chassis/frame/case ground point, or at the starter. Because the starter on the L-Twin faces the front wheel, it is highly susceptible to corrosion- so have a look at those things.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My ‘11 is still on the original.
Spoke to soon. After riding one of my other bikes for the past fortnight I jumped on the Multi this morning and all I got was click click click.

New battery time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts