Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any riders running their GTs without a steering damper and if so, are you still in one piece?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running a damper, but would like to remove it, as it spoils the steering. At the risk of dredging up a long forgotten thread, I still don't understand why these bikes are prone to tank slappers, because I have a Multi 620 that is practically the same as a Sport Classic, in terms of the frame and running gear, and that has no trace of head shake. The only difference that I can see with the SC is the swinging arm construction.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
No damper needed if you upgrade the steering head bearings to tapered roller bearings. Much more solid feel.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I'm not currently running a steering damper on my GT and I'm still in one piece.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't run one...but in the grand transformation that will happen after the Italian aluminum tank, I'd like to have one put on!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Multi has ball-race headstock bearings, but no head-shake - why the difference?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thought I needed one when the bike was stock. Since upgrading the suspension and wheels I dont really feel the need for it now.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Besides myself, I know only a few other GT riders in my area, and none of us are running steering dampers. Of course, I believe we've all upgraded the suspension and/or wheels, which kind of alleviates the need for one. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I've driven an upgraded S1k w/ adjustable showa front / Ohlin rear no damper and feels the same as a stock front end with a bitubo damper. Although Damper itself is a lot cheaper than full suspension mod, the better suspension is much more supple. Have to admit the bitubo on the stock front felt worlds better (more stable in turns) than without.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
GPR offers a rotary style for GT, check their website

I'm actually at Wendy's eating lunch waiting for the engineer at GPR to get back from his lunch. Having them check on making brackets to fit the SC1K. I told them I think there is a market for them, albeit smaller than other Ducs out there, but id think more than a GT. more to come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
245 Posts
GPR offers a rotary style for GT, check their website

I'm actually at Wendy's eating lunch waiting for the engineer at GPR to get back from his lunch. Having them check on making brackets to fit the SC1K. I told them I think there is a market for them, albeit smaller than other Ducs out there, but id think more than a GT. more to come soon.

QUOTE]

Nice work - thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing the result.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Figured I'd chime in, too. 27,000 miles on my GT w/o a steering damper and no handling issues (well, there was a tankslapper from an unexpected sky-high wheelie and landing the front turned, but not really the bike's fault). Of course, I also changed the wheels to 5-spoke Marchesinis a long time ago, and was very pleased with the improvement in handling. IMO, it's the best upgrade for these bikes, even more so than exhaust or suspension mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There was a LOT of discussion early on about the need for steering dampers and the possible causes of tankslappers. Nothing was (nor could it be) definitively answered, but there have been horrendous tank slappers occur to members of the forum. The threads do offer many plausible explanations and make for informative reading.

I bought my GT new in July '06, and it's never shaken it's head. I've run with 3 different front suspensions, 3 different rear suspensions, 2 different kinds of tires, and 2 different kinds of wheels, and 3 different handlebars. All those changes made differences in their own way, but I've never really felt the NEED for a damper. The WASP one still looks cool though...

And do you have a link for the GPR rotary style? (Just curious...;))

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I posted up about my GPR experience today in the thread:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/151020-gpr-steering-damper-installed-sc1000.html

Their website is : GPR Stabilizer - Steering damper available for sportbikes, dirtbikes & ATVs
they will have pics on their for the GT1000, but the pics for the Sport1000 were just taken today on my bike, so they probably won't have that product listed yet, but you can always contact them directly.

Here's a direct link to the GT version
http://www.gprstabilizer.com/app_44_ducati_sport_classics

1 - 20 of 49 Posts