Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also have VFR for daily use and sport touring (set up for touring with Givi luggage and GPS). Ride mostly in and around Boston with the Monster and Sunday runs. thinking of a change....love the looks of the 848 which I think would be plenty fast for me. Anyone made the switch? Thoughts? I am 5'8", so likely will invest in helibars for the 848 to make the reach more bearable and riding position better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Monsters are definitely more comfortable. Take a test ride and decide for yourself. I went from a 695, S4Rt to a 1198s with no regrets.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I went from a 696 to an 848 ( I kept the 696).
Loved the 848! The power was awesome and I did not find it uncomfortable at all to ride.
Not as comfortable as the Monster but to me it was no problem.
Get it, you will love it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5'4" and find that the 848 to be less comfortable than the 696 -- I don't think I could handle more than ~150 miles at a time. That said, I think between 5'8" and 6'2" is probably the ideal range for the 848, so maybe you'll be more comfortable.

Something else you'll notice about the 848 is it can really scorch your ankles, especially at stoplights. Never had any issues like that with the 696.

That said, I adore my 848! I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 6,1 and I think my 848 is painful to ride. I am glad my daily rider is a MS 1200. :D

I had a monster 696, the 848 isn't even in the same ballpark in terms of comfort. Not sure how bad it is at your height but my neck, shoulders, lower back and knees are in pain after 3 hours on the thing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't have 696, but 848 is a blast to ride!

I did ride it [848] to the Dragon two years ago (put some 1,600+ miles in 4 days) and I also take it for a Saturday spin (470-510 miles) and I do have to say that it really does take a toll on your wrists and back.

To Kurfer's point, I recently got MTS1200 and holy crap is that bike fast and comfy!! It did take some time getting used to riding it (upright and I mention it's freaking fast?!), but I took the bike on a 500 mile run two weeks go on the same route I would take my 848 on and it was uber fun!

Here's my advice: if your primary riding will be city riding (meaning constant stop/go and traffic) DO NOT get 848 or any SBK for that matter! These bikes suck when it comes to traffic: masochist position + 217 degrees blowing on your legs is not comfy. However, occasional city riding (meaning traffic) and mostly "country riding" (open, twisty roads) then I would say go for it! (This is the reason why I ride 500 miles in a day: the best roads close to Cleveland are 2.5-3hrs away. It's also one of the reasons why I got MTS1200; the other is to do long, cross-country trips).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts