Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the freeway the other day and heard/felt a loud THUNK!...checked out the bike when I got home and found this damage..:eek:..the result of a piece of unseen road debris...new sump screen cover came in today...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
That took a bit of a twattin....Did you manage to get most of the oil ? I take it it has,nt done any more damage ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Holy shite!

Was on the freeway the other day and heard/felt a loud THUNK!...checked out the bike when I got home and found this damage..:eek:..the result of a piece of unseen road debris...new sump screen cover came in today...
That's terrible...

You know, iv'e been thinking the same thing about some sort of protection for that area. I have about 2000mi on my SFs and the leading edge of the pan that faces the front tire has been significantly "sandblasted" by road debris. I think it would be easy to make a guard out of carbon (Shift-tech?), or stainless that would mount utilizing the four bolts that hold in the oil screen... A guard like I described would have saved your cases... Does anyone know if the engine mounted in a 1098 superbike hung down as low as the ones on our Sf's? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't tell me we have another vulnerability that has slipped through the manufacturing system. Geez!
If anyone comes up with a guard I am a customer, sign me up please.
Mr Shift-tech??? right up your alley I hope...... and probably sellable to Monster owners as well.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
This is the same deep sump that's been on four valve ducs since ca. 2004, it's nothing new or different.

Chris

Don't tell me we have another vulnerability that has slipped through the manufacturing system. Geez!
Mr Shift-tech??? right up your alley I hope...... and probably sellable to Monster owners as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is the same deep sump that's been on four valve ducs since ca. 2004, it's nothing new or different.

Chris
The 2001 996R was the first to come out with the deep sump configuration, moral of the story is to be vigilant and try not to run over anything.

Glad you didn't get hurt oahu 'fighter :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That took a bit of a twattin....Did you manage to get most of the oil ? I take it it has,nt done any more damage ?
Luckily the oil just barely weeps from the exposed threads of the sheared bolt when the bike is sitting still...I've ridden it like this for the last week or so, stopping periodically to check for oil migrating towards the rear tire and there's none...all in all I've lost a couple of tablespoons of oil...a new cover is in and the tech at the dealership says it looks like an easy fix...:)

·
Registered
970 Posts
oh please! Ducati has been using deep sump cases for some years now... no way to prevent road debris from hitting your bike if you run over it.. nothing "slipped by manufacturing"

·
Registered
262 Posts
C'mon Dave - doesn't Ducati know Hooligan type riders are going to buy these bikes and as such should provide bash plates as oem equipment :p

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
It wouldn't be that hard to make one though...maybe with counter sunk bolts for more ground clearance. I'll look into it.

-M

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
By the time we fit steel plates to protect all the potential things than can be damaged on a bike, and axle sliders, and frame sliders................. the thing will weigh 500 pounds! ;) oh and don't forget the case guard for when the chain breaks!! ;)

Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
Outch

I have to admit - that sucks. But on the positive side - Think of it this way: If you run over it, it will hit your bike somewhere. In this case it hit the deep sump. Imagine the fun if it had hit the rear tire at 60+ mph. Of course it's unfortunate that it ripped into your sump and you have to replace the plate etc.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to admit - that sucks. But on the positive side - Think of it this way: If you run over it, it will hit your bike somewhere. In this case it hit the deep sump. Imagine the fun if it had hit the rear tire at 60+ mph. Of course it's unfortunate that it ripped into your sump and you have to replace the plate etc.
Yeah, I'm feeling fortunate that I didn't go down and that it didn't cause more damage...:)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Did you have to replace the whole sump? It certainly looks like a lot of the meat for the bolt to thread into is gone? What'd that part cost?? I'm guessing a bit!

Chris

Yeah, I'm feeling fortunate that I didn't go down and that it didn't cause more damage...:)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you have to replace the whole sump? It certainly looks like a lot of the meat for the bolt to thread into is gone? What'd that part cost?? I'm guessing a bit!

Chris
There's actually only a small portion of the sump casing sheared away, the pics make it look worse than it is. According to the tech at the dealer it should be a fairly easy fix, remove whats left of the bolt, clean things up a bit and install a new cover.

Surprisingly, the cover, new O ring, and bolt were less than $20...this from a dealership that marks everything up to the max (sold me a 14t sprocket for $60, which was the "sale" price).

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
wow,
the Desmosidici, we used to model for our radiator guards,
had a wheel weight, stuck in the lower rt leading edge of the fairing,
about 6 inches from the bottom, 1.5" from the oil cooler...

Radiator Guards are a good idea.
& our guards sets come with the " Chain Case Guard"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts