Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I`m waiting to see if my vacation request gets approved but I MAY be going on a long trip. A buddy of mine are planning on shipping the bikes out to either Vancouver, BC or Sacramento, CA in May, riding the northwest and then riding home to Ontario, Canada. We are already planning on seeing sights like Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the painted hills, etc and I also have a few suggestions for "must do" roads. Can anyone else make suggestions as to destinations and attractions as well as must do roads? We`re planning on two weeks but it`ll probably stretch to three. I was planning on Beartooth Pass and the Run-To-The Sun but I think they`re both still closed at that time.

Ray

561 Posts
I can help you out on the BC end of it
#1 pick up bikes in Vancouver , take ferry to Victoria , see Victoria and surrounding area (stay the night),ride to Port Renfrew , from there take the only road to Duncan , from there north to Parksville and onto Long beach and Tofino (stay the night)
day 3 back across the island to Comox and take ferry to Powell River ,south along the sunshine coast (2 more ferrys) to horse shoe bay, north on 99 to Whistler (but don't stay there) Pemberton is about 30 kms north , stay there.
day 4 ride Dufffy Lake Rd to Lillowett EPIC ride lillowett to Litton , north to Spences Bridge , turn right to Merritt ,Merritt to Kelowna (free accommodations) if ya like. Kelowna north to Vernon ,west on #6 to Nakusp , then south to New Denver, turn east to Kaslo and the south to Nelson (stay the night) next day ,short trip north to Balfor ferry east to the #1 rated hwy in bc( you would have already rode the #2 hwy New Denver to Kaslo) and then south to #3 and to the town of Creston. From there you can dip into the states . Have a great trip O and bring good rain gear if doing this in the spring.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the hints. At the current time we don't think we're going to much in Canada. I've already done the road to Whistler whenI did my cross Canada trip a number of years ago and my wife and I did Victoria when we did the cross country train ride last year. Love Victoria! We stayed at the Empress. Right now we're using Vancouver as a shipping destination because my buddy's sister lives in Surrey. For what we've already got planned, two weeks is going to be pushing it if we want to ride all the roads we've been reading about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey guys! I`m waiting to see if my vacation request gets approved but I MAY be going on a long trip. A buddy of mine are planning on shipping the bikes out to either Vancouver, BC or Sacramento, CA in May, riding the northwest and then riding home to Ontario, Canada. We are already planning on seeing sights like Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the painted hills, etc and I also have a few suggestions for "must do" roads. Can anyone else make suggestions as to destinations and attractions as well as must do roads? We`re planning on two weeks but it`ll probably stretch to three. I was planning on Beartooth Pass and the Run-To-The Sun but I think they`re both still closed at that time.

Ray
Try pashnit for riding routes. If you do drop your bikes in sacramento, you can head north from there to see the world famous thunderhill raceway in willows, ca along with highway 36 to the coast (cool ride that won't be forgotten). Also, you can head south and east from sac to yosemite which is a beautiful ride. But if you wanna head west, there's Alice's in san mateo county (just south of sf). That is a great place to meet fellow riders and to get a good burger. And for cruising the coast, nothing beats pch - sf to san luis obispo.

Well that's my 2cents worth. But with any trip, keep the rubber side down and enjoy.

d

·
Administrator
12,311 Posts
I do know a ton of roads in NorCal and will be happy to assist if I can with details around Sacramento. What direction do you think you want to go?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I lived 10 miles west of Sacramento for 7 years , currently live in the Vancouver area. California offers much better riding than BC. Washington and Oregon have a lot to offer as well. Check out Mad Maps for road info

·
Registered
700 Posts
I live in Eureka (Ca) and know the roads here very well.... My MTS has 19,000 miles in 14 months. So, I can give you numerous gorgeous routes to take....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Norcal is the best, by far.

Just 36 from Redding to the coast is worth the trip (140+ miles of twisties! Everybody takes a pic in front of the sign. It's called the "merit badge".)

Then ride down HWY1 to Stewart Point to Skaggs Springs. Overnight in wine country, and maybe recoup for a day or two checking out the local food, wine, and scenery. Leave by Lake Berryessa.

Head across the valley to the Sierras. Hop from one mining town to the next. Def hit HWY 49, check out Mono Lake and Yosemite. Spend Saturday night in Moculmne Hill, when the band plays the one bar in town. Fall in love with the cute waitress.

Then Tahoe.

Back to Sac on HWY 50.

Or the reverse. I put the most challenging roads in the beginning because you'll be fresh.

Either way: MIND BLOWN.

A lot of this is in Pashnit and Destination Highways. HWY 1 between here and LA has spectacular scenery and would be awesome, except too much traffic. Alice's is cool for a local hangout, but not really a destination. Either is too isolated from other good riding to plan a complete loop.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Planning a trip this summer that goes from the midwest to Seattle to Pikes Peak and back home again. Was thinking about adding a leg of the trip from Seattle to San Francisco mostly on PCH. (I think - I'm a midwesterner and this is first trip to this part of the country) How many days should I give myself for that extra leg? Is it a solid 2 day trip or do you need 3 to enjoy it? Was thinking also of leaving Seattle late afternoon to stay the first night of this leg in Astoria for a jump start... crazy? suggestions? speed limit on pch 65 mph?

thanks

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Planning a trip this summer that goes from the midwest to Seattle to Pikes Peak and back home again. Was thinking about adding a leg of the trip from Seattle to San Francisco mostly on PCH. (I think - I'm a midwesterner and this is first trip to this part of the country) How many days should I give myself for that extra leg? Is it a solid 2 day trip or do you need 3 to enjoy it? Was thinking also of leaving Seattle late afternoon to stay the first night of this leg in Astoria for a jump start... crazy? suggestions? speed limit on pch 65 mph?

thanks

My buddy and I have done that twice as it's very scenic. Three long days and yeah you can't speed throughout; especially in California as PCH is RV laden in Summer which can really bog you down. Seattle to Astoria is doable in one long day but no way if u start in afternoon unless you're talking of going by i5 (which is a bore and frankly the stretch south of Tacoma can be crazy jammed for about 10-20 miles). I'd take ferry (reserve a spot during Summer season), several launch points, ride on north end of peninsula to coast and south. That way you can claim you ridden US 1 it's full distance and enjoy the scenery ( again i5 is boring!). You'll be rewarded!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
pac nw

Portland here.

If you didn't already know, avoid I5 if you can help it.

Going up the coast in CA/OR/WA is something to consider. Or, ride up the east side of the cascades. I5 is always in the middle.

N. CA coast is awesome with a stop in the Redwoods. Xcountry it on 2laners into Ashland and then do a rim job on Crater lake. From there, you can head back to the coast or go up the East side of the cascades through Bend, OR, over MT Hood to Hood River and up SR14 into Portland. Columbia River Gorge is a highlight out this way.

Portland to Seattle sucks. There is one highlight, is a side trip to the Johnston Ridge Observatory for the Mt. St Helens blast zone. Portland to the coast is a good ride and you can go up the coast towards Seattle.

Hwy 20 through North Cascades is epic and one you may want to consider.

Vancouver, BC, through the Mountains to Banff and then Calgary is another option. Depends on your time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts