Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to post a picture of the connections of the stock regulator/rectifier on a pre-99 900ss? I'm trying to figure out some rewiring to my already fuddled charging system. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Look here:
http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-611.php

The "bullet" style connectors are the two yellow AC wires that come up from the alternator stator. They are a known weak point for corrosion/overheating. Even the more modern, weatherproof connector on my 1998 ST2 failed due to a poor connection. I chose to bypass it with #10AWG, solder, heat-shrink, etc. The repair lasted over 30,000 miles, and I just sold the bike...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stick, where did you splice the AC wires. At the connector or closer to the case on the stator side and how far up to the RR? I am looking to do this mod as the connectors seem a little cheesy.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi, Glad I checked my "yesterday" posts! I normally post in the ST section...

I pretty much cut the connector out, and spliced in about 6" of wire. So there's 2 solder joints in each wire now. Just make sure the wire is really clean, spliced snugly, and then solder last. (Don't forget to slide on the heat-shrink AHEAD of time!!)

On some of the older SS's, SBK's and others, some claimed that the insulation was crumbly or looked like the entire wire had gotten hot. In this case, I'd go back as close to the motor case as possible. Mine was only affected right inside the connector.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi guys
I replaced almost everything, from about 2 inches engine output to the place the connector has been. It makes a difference, really. I replaced the yellow wires with number 12 copper wires, 3 against 3.

regards
Arnego2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts