Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have exp with these hid kits? Or the like.

I'd like to go with the dual setup for those foggy days. Dont need the HID making the world look like a snowstorm.

Anyone have exp with this company? I don't really care which company I deal with I just want a nice setup.
http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/...70_485/bi-xenon-slim-motorcycle-hid-kit-p-227

I'm stuck right now as to which color to go with.. My goal is to see all the world and have them see me at night so 6k seems the best choice but on the other hand I like the blue hue of the 8k but there is less light it seems.

Any exp HID users have some insight for me?

6k or 8k?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on.. People with hids. Search brings up some hids but no kits. All dead ebay links.

Just want to hear some updated info and what the 6k 8k peps have to say living with the kits for a while and if the Dual bulb kits faired better then the magnetic single hid kits.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I have 6K HID on my Superbike, and they are plenty bright, not lacking in the least. Haven't had any issues, work great in all weather/conditions, easy install. Don't know about dual bulb, but I have both lights set up (Low & High beam)and it's either very bright or ultra bright when switching from one to two.

Here's my source:

http://www.cqlight.ca/index.php?osCsid=db6c7d3dec3edb43fbe87a798103958e

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hid

Looks pretty similar to the one I put on my BMW with a H4 bulb.
The HID side works great which is a good thing as the halogen bulb for high beam is in the wrong position and points a lot closer than low beam. So far I have not had to use high beam as there is so much light from the HID and it does not seem to bother oncoming traffic that it was worth the cost.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of upgrade did you all do to the parking w5w bulb? LED? color?

·
Registered
20 Posts
HID's on an SS

I put 2 of those kits on my ST1300 and have been running them for the past year, I like the HID / halogen option - they work great. I have compared them side-by-side with the $400 kits on the same model bike, and you can't tell the difference in performance and so far they have been reliable. I am going to put another kit on my 900ss before winter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
DId you see my post? Those kits are definitely better quality than the $65.00 one I have. You get what you pay for. I didn't want to spend too much in case I didn't like the results. When mine finally (if they do) fail, I will invest in a better quality (not Chinese) kit from Germany or USA

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=73409

get 6k or lower, anything higher is just "pretty" and have less illumination on the road. 43k is same as the HIDs on my Audi S4. White and legal! Blue and purple (higher K rating) will get the attention of the authorities for sure.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looks pretty similar to the one I put on my BMW with a H4 bulb.
The HID side works great which is a good thing as the halogen bulb for high beam is in the wrong position and points a lot closer than low beam. So far I have not had to use high beam as there is so much light from the HID and it does not seem to bother oncoming traffic that it was worth the cost.

I'm sure this is due to headlight design of your bikes. Old bikes like mine w/ a bus headlight have no issue projecting high beam from an HID. I'm using a bulb w/ a soleniod that moves reflector position. Is that the type you have? I know there are some kits out there w/ an actually 2nd non HID bulb for high beam use. From experience those do project high beam incorrectly. See my pics.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I went with DT996s maker..
Got some 6500s in there..
http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info....id=90&osCsid=db6c7d3dec3edb43fbe87a798103958e

I thought having a cover move would help with the bulb moving to far in for highs.
Well the bulb looks nothing like this one

Looks close to this one

It's a full cover save the bottom and the bulb moves back. To far for highs.. The high beam sucks. The low beam however kept me from returning the kit as my god it lights the road up. Signs GLOW big time.
I emailed the comp a few times about the bulb with no return email :-(

Could have saved some money and gone with just a low beam kit but I had an idea. Since the high beam is not as bright as the low beam I could use it for those uber foggy days.

I am still on the lookout for a cover moving bulb though. I want to have a 2nd bulb on hand in case this one dies. I may remove the small cover to let more light out on low which seem to be what the high beam setting was trying to go for.. Justs moves to far back..

Install was super ez. I still need to mod the boot though. Can stretch that sucker over it no way. I then changed the parking light with one of these

Almost the same color has the hids.. Def better then the orange/yellow hal bulb.

So the headlight prob is taken care of and now the rear light is as well.. Got some Hyperlites flanking the lic bulb and holy crap they tell the world my brakes are on!!!!

Anyone know of a bulb that has the cover move and not the bulb?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi,I have one with the moving cover and the high beam is still scattered.Going to attribute some of it to poor headlight design and bulb location.I'm going to play with it once the snow flies by modifing the cover and moving the bulb further back in the in the housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts