Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 1999 MS production 996RS corse tank from Fast by Ferracci. Just no hardware to install it. Pump, fittings, brackets or whatever else I may need. Does anybody know what I need or have an idea where I can get this stuff?? I need help! :confused: I know this tank is outdated out of production merchandise. write me here or email me. [email protected]

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are you planning on fitting the tank to a 996RS or a road bike?

If you bought the 996RS fuel tank for a road bike you need to get an RS airbox as well as the pump etc. because I don't think the RS tank is compatible with a road bike airbox.

At least that's the case if you try to fit a 998RS tank to a plain road going 998...

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fitting it to a 996SPS but I have all of the RS carbon bodywork. airbox,air runners,oil breather box, dash. All of the exact same parts that were on Foggys 1999/2000 WSBK

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The problem is the hardware. It is not a simple swap out job using the stock fuel pump. It requires different pump and mounting brackets and I looked at your 749R in this pic. You have is a ETI fuelcel RS tank which uses the stock fuel pump. ETI makes a Ducati RS tank where I could use the stock fuel pump but MS production tanks do not.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
imo it strongly depends on the production year of the tank you´tre looking at. My mate has fitted a 996RS 1999 (I think 99-2000 were same or similar) to his 998. I know that the 998RS tanks are different (mounting brackets left and right in front of the tank which mount to the RS frame), because I had the honor of holding molasses RS frame in my greedy hands a while back. The older 996RS bikes didn´t have that kind of mounting solution I think.

Check out the attached pictures. It´s from a racing fuel tank I had sitting here a few months ago. It looks very similar to the stock fuel tank except for the fuel pump connectors and fuel pump, so I think it´s the real deal. Can´t tell you which model year it was from sadly. I think it appears to be an earlier model year tank, because the cavity (is that the proper word for it?) for the helmet in front is missing.

Hope it helps. If not, I guess Ducshop should know. Maybe he chimes in.

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! That is a chin depression that you meant to call it. This picture of the tank you sent me is the older model 996RS tank, probably 1997-1998. The tank I have is from 1999-2000. Did you see the picture? I will show you again. The corse tanks after 1998 had the dip in it for the chin depression so the rider can tuck down lower behind the speedscreen.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The problem is the hardware. It is not a simple swap out job using the stock fuel pump. It requires different pump and mounting brackets and I looked at your 749R in this pic. You have is a ETI fuelcel RS tank which uses the stock fuel pump. ETI makes a Ducati RS tank where I could use the stock fuel pump but MS production tanks do not.
748RS vs 748R is actually my comparison. The ETI fuel cell's are for OEM designs, they have nothing in common with the race bikes. The MS production tanks for the xx9 bikes are nowhere near the production bikes, they don't come close to fitting.

Perhaps the 748RS is more similar to the 748R because of homogulation rules but, I don't see why the 996RS would NEED a different fuel pump. I'm anxious to learn more about this if anybody has more close-up picts of the two.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thanks for clarifying Ducatisti73! Didn´t know about the exact date of change.
Chin depression... I see, thanks for that as well.

Tyler: see attached pic.

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
748RS vs 748R is actually my comparison. The ETI fuel cell's are for OEM designs, they have nothing in common with the race bikes. The MS production tanks for the xx9 bikes are nowhere near the production bikes, they don't come close to fitting.

Perhaps the 748RS is more similar to the 748R because of homogulation rules but, I don't see why the 996RS would NEED a different fuel pump. I'm anxious to learn more about this if anybody has more close-up picts of the two.
No problem Ben. oh Tye. Fast by Ferracci when they sold me the tank emailed me this schematic of the 996RS tank to show the difference vs the 996SPS tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way because a 748RS is a sweet bike but it's nowhere near the real deal (as in 996RS/998RS/998F01/998F02).

As for the difference in fuel pumps etc., I'm pretty sure the fuel pump and pressure regulator on the RS bikes are designed to feed fuel at a higher pressure than what is the case with the road bikes.

I know this isn't what you're hoping to hear, Ducatisti73, but I think your best bet is to buy an ETI fuel cell tank which allows you to re-use the stock fuel components.

I'm not saying you cannot get hold of the RS parts you need but it's going to be very costly and it's likely you'll have to re-map your ECU if you keep the stock throttlebodies/injectors. The reason for this is the higher fuel pressure of the RS fuel circuit will lead to more fuel being delivered to the cylinders so you need to compensate by reducing the opening times of the injectors.

Then again, I might be wrong. Hopefully, Mark or someone else who's been a race team mechanic will chime in and set us all straight :)

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't take this the wrong way because a 748RS is a sweet bike but it's nowhere near the real deal (as in 996RS/998RS/998F01/998F02).

As for the difference in fuel pumps etc., I'm pretty sure the fuel pump and pressure regulator on the RS bikes are designed to feed fuel at a higher pressure than what is the case with the road bikes.

I know this isn't what you're hoping to hear, Ducatisti73, but I think your best bet is to buy an ETI fuel cell tank which allows you to re-use the stock fuel components.

I'm not saying you cannot get hold of the RS parts you need but it's going to be very costly and it's likely you'll have to re-map your ECU if you keep the stock throttlebodies/injectors. The reason for this is the higher fuel pressure of the RS fuel circuit will lead to more fuel being delivered to the cylinders so you need to compensate by reducing the opening times of the injectors.

Then again, I might be wrong. Hopefully, Mark or someone else who's been a race team mechanic will chime in and set us all straight :)
I understand what you said and it makes sence. About higher fuel pressure and remapping my ECU. Sounds like it may be alot of costly work even if i can locate the parts. I might be better off just getting a ETI fuelcel tank but that is $2000 with paint,vent,cap and everything and I only paid $900 for this corse tank. If I can not seem to located the parts I may just have to sell it to someone who can use it. I will see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a problem using the stock fuel pump and hardware for the
rs tank.

You need external housing for the fuel regulator (9000 ssie has one).
You need the fuel pump holder plate holder from the RS, (need to drill a smal hole for the fuel return), and make a spacer for it. (It a cagiva part)
You need the RS "bulkhead" adapter (Skrews in to the tank so you can fitt hoses on the inside, and fast connect CPC on the outside)
(not cheap).
Do not buy the RS hose breather valve (waisting you money 150 $ for 5 $ part).

Try to post som pics

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a problem using the stock fuel pump and hardware for the
rs tank.

You need external housing for the fuel regulator (9000 ssie has one).
You need the fuel pump holder plate holder from the RS, (need to drill a smal hole for the fuel return), and make a spacer for it. (It a cagiva part)
You need the RS "bulkhead" adapter (Skrews in to the tank so you can fitt hoses on the inside, and fast connect CPC on the outside)
(not cheap).
Do not buy the RS hose breather valve (waisting you money 150 $ for 5 $ part).

Try to post som pics
Oh WOW! sounds cool. how do you know all of this stuff 748? Post pics please. And contact emails and numbers of these people if you have? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes you can! ... use a RS fuel tank on a road bike, even with parts of the stock fuel pump. You will ness. need all the RS mounting parts (front and rear quick release, the brackets inside), then have to cut and modify the airbox, get rid of the keyswitch and the stock water reservoir (replace with an RS one), need to modify the seat pad and rear tail fairing, make your own fuel lines and so on.
Had used the fuel pressure reg. housing of the 900 i.e. Monster and relocatet it inside the airbox. The Fuel pump itself is stock, had to build a holder plate for the pump, the fuel filter and the "degasing canister" (dont know the exact english translation of german "entgaser") are stock, too.

If you only had the tank itself, man this will be an expensive adventure to get all the stuff together.

I had a 23,4 liter 1999 996RS fuel tank on my (street going) 998. Will post some detail photos later...

Chris

PS: heres Ben`s Pic again. This is the tank I use on the 998:

Parts you have to find:

Pos. 10, 11 and 13 (CNC front quick release brackets) VERY expensive and hard to find (IF found a set would costs around 200-300 Euro here in Europe)

Pos. 19 and 43 can made from a Aluminium Block as those are nearly impossible to become anywhere.
Had those rebuild in a local maschine workshop for at least 150 euros

Pos. 36 (Fuel pump holderplate) was rebuild by the same shop.

At least you need Pos. 16, 20, 22 and 23 for fuel and electrical lining. Gadly those parts where fitted to my tank.

And of course Pos. 5 and 6, not to forget.

Some part numbers attached.

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you Chris! I have all of those same schemtics for the tank. Thanks for the parts list. I did not have that. Huge problem is sourcing the parts needed. I don't know who to contact and who may have them. You said you had a 996RS tank on your 998. That is what mine is. A 1999 MS production 996RS tank...Do you still have the parts? I would like to see pictures.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a 996RS which I built and I did lots of adapting work with the tanks. For your road bike there are quite a few issues to deal with and although it can be done it's definitly got a serious 'why' factor about it.
To get the original internal hardware is expensive and difficult and you will need to adapt a road bike pump and pressure regulator into the system. Using a RS pump is not a good idea ... they are unreliable. (BTW .. never buy a RS pump from $$$ Ducati ... one of the Subaru pumps is identical)
Also never use a road bike pump with a high pressure regulator ... the pump will have to work far to hard and can actually overheat ... enough said !!
You will also need bloody small hands ... mine are not and getting in the tank to get bits in and out is very hard.

Really, the point is, servicing the fuel system ( filters etc) on a road bike tank is easy. On RS tanks it's not, although it's supposed to be.
What you will most likely end up doing in order to adapt the road pump and filter is use zip ties ... they work great as we know and for racing they're fine. But for road riding I would want to know I was going to get home.
I probably spent 20 hours figuring and making adapters for my race tanks and I'm an engineer with my own machine and fabrication shop. And that didn't even include the hours taken to adapt the tank to the airboxes.

And if that's not enough to discourage you, I personnally think carbon tanks on the road are not cool .... they don't crash well. Believe me, I know .... I've had three split in crashes and dump gas everwhere. Twice I was lucky with no fire ... not the third time though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I couldn't agree more, KiwiEd. CF tanks are nasty!

Not only do you risk getting caught in a fire ball (even if you're using foam inside the tank) but if Murphy's on your side you might get fragments of CF lodged under your skin and that's no good either...

Aluminium tanks are only marginally heavier than CF tanks and much safer.
I personnally think carbon tanks on the road are not cool .... they don't crash well. Believe me, I know .... I've had three split in crashes and dump gas everwhere. Twice I was lucky with no fire ... not the third time though.

·
Registered
797 Posts
ETI Tank Option

The Fuel-Cell tanks made in L.A. are nice stuff, I have one on my 999s.

You can order them with or without anti-slosh foam, and with or without the key switch openings. And for the 999 without key switch opening, you can fill over 5.6 gallons of go juice...yeah baby!

Pricey, yes, but what isn't?

Cheers,
Mark

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 996RS which I built and I did lots of adapting work with the tanks. For your road bike there are quite a few issues to deal with and although it can be done it's definitly got a serious 'why' factor about it.
To get the original internal hardware is expensive and difficult and you will need to adapt a road bike pump and pressure regulator into the system. Using a RS pump is not a good idea ... they are unreliable. (BTW .. never buy a RS pump from $$$ Ducati ... one of the Subaru pumps is identical)
Also never use a road bike pump with a high pressure regulator ... the pump will have to work far to hard and can actually overheat ... enough said !!
You will also need bloody small hands ... mine are not and getting in the tank to get bits in and out is very hard.

Really, the point is, servicing the fuel system ( filters etc) on a road bike tank is easy. On RS tanks it's not, although it's supposed to be.
What you will most likely end up doing in order to adapt the road pump and filter is use zip ties ... they work great as we know and for racing they're fine. But for road riding I would want to know I was going to get home.
I probably spent 20 hours figuring and making adapters for my race tanks and I'm an engineer with my own machine and fabrication shop. And that didn't even include the hours taken to adapt the tank to the airboxes.

And if that's not enough to discourage you, I personnally think carbon tanks on the road are not cool .... they don't crash well. Believe me, I know .... I've had three split in crashes and dump gas everwhere. Twice I was lucky with no fire ... not the third time though.
Thanks KiwiEd and Molasses. You're right about CF tanks being dangerous in a crash. At least the Fuelcel tanks are made out of Kevlar. I seem to be headed towards the delima of seling this tank, airbox and air runners. All of it. I wont be able to use it on my SPS and is way too much work to get back out on the track soon.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts