Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My monster 1100 evo strated to make this sound when idling after riding during the day.
The temp sensor was on its thrid or fourth bar at the time.
I thought that it was just because of the heat but it still has this scratchy sound when startup idling.

Can anyone guess where I should look into?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Extremely hard to tell with a video . Does it change if you pull in the clutch?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I would take the end of a long screwdriver and place it on different places around the motor, and then put your ear on the handle end. Use it like a stethoscope and it will amplify the noise. Try both sides of the cases down low and see if it gets louder. You can somewhat isolate where the sound is emanating from. If its a bearing going south, this method helps in identifying the problem.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take the end of a long screwdriver and place it on different places around the motor, and then put your ear on the handle end. Use it like a stethoscope and it will amplify the noise. Try both sides of the cases down low and see if it gets louder. You can somewhat isolate where the sound is emanating from. If its a bearing going south, this method helps in identifying the problem.

Mike
Hey Mike. Thanks for your input. I just couldn't figure it out by myself and ended up dropping it to the shop. I really hope that it's not an engine issue..
Do you know if there is any usual or frequent issue with this engine by any chance?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hey Mike. Thanks for your input. I just couldn't figure it out by myself and ended up dropping it to the shop. I really hope that it's not an engine issue..
Do you know if there is any usual or frequent issue with this engine by any chance?
I have not heard of any common issues with your bike. But if you tested a thousand main bearings (run them under usual conditions until failure) your results would follow what is called a "bell curve". It means that the majority of test samples would fail around some medium time frame. You would also get some that would failure early and some that would fail much later. With conventional ball or roller bearings, there are factors like assembly preload that can also affect the longevity.

My first Ducati was a 94 Monster, and I experienced a main bearing failure at around 4,000 miles. I had just bought the bike used from a fellow. I caught it before it a actually started making noise as I found pieces of the bearing retainer in the oil when I changed it. I changed both mains out and didnt have any further problems with it. I have had other bikes where a bad bearing started making noise. You made a good decision to have it looked at. Lets hope it turns out to be something much simpler than a main bearing, as you have to pull the motor and split the cases to assemble new ones.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts