Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year around this time in cold Minnesota, I start thinking about riding my motorycle in a warm sunny place. I am thinking about riding my 96 SS 900 down to Austin for the Moto GP (April 19-21). It could be dicey leaving snowy north in mid April (or returning in late April), but it does sound like a really nice time.
I've never been to Austin, but everything I hear about it sounds great (music, food, cool people). I've also never been to a Moto GP event, but I understand there are usually quite a few Ducati riders that arrive.
Cheers!

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Yup! I'll be in the Turn 15 grandstand (part of the time, at least).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'll be down, most likely ill ride the MTS 12 out from NM. If the weather is bad ill drive.

Some great riding around there as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I could go if I figure out the sleeping situation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, hotel/motel rooms will be probably be a challenge at this point huh? I called one that was recommended by a friend (Austin Motel) and they are booked. If anyone else has any recommendations of places that are in a fun neighborhood (by fun I mean central to the music/bar scene of Austin).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will be braving the elements on the long trek from Dallas in my chevy truck. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I will be braving the elements on the long trek from Dallas in my chevy truck. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
The traffic on 35 is a zoo!!!! Everytime i'd pass an LEO with someone stopped, the traffic would dead stop, then get going after passing them.

When did that start in Texas?????????

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
We have a group kicking it around, Indy is a Yes always. Driving or flying down from Michigan. All up in the Air for TXMGP ,time off from work is giving many of us a problem...:mad:

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
OK... OK... Ill offer it. I'm on a 1/2 acre and can handle a few tents in the back yard. Let me know if you're on an adventurous track... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
A couple of us from PA are kicking it around. Indy is closer but I'd like to see Moto GP at COTA.

·
Registered
998 Posts
COTA is a "REAL" race track, should be MUCH better than Indy could ever be for watching a Moto GP!! Even Nascar would be awesome at COTA, INDY is good for circle track cars, and golfing

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
Yup! I'll be in the Turn 15 grandstand (part of the time, at least).
Me too. I'll see you in the Ducati only parking area.
Of course if the weather sux I may not ride. My brother will be coming to town and riding one of my bikes for the first time. I'm letting him decide.
:(

Also, I'll be more than happy to put him up in a tent at your place instead of the couch at mine. :D j/k

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Austin748, very kind of you to offer a spot to pitch a tent. If I do make it, I would get a motel/hotel room, but thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Happy if you do. So many have been telling of outrageous hotel/motel costs... Just trying to be helpful. And I've been known to have hard cider on tap (2 taps, actually) and a very well stocked beer fridge. Some folks like to camp out and 'rough it'. If you do make it, happy to see you at the track!

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
The traffic on 35 is a zoo!!!! Everytime i'd pass an LEO with someone stopped, the traffic would dead stop, then get going after passing them.

When did that start in Texas?????????

It's a law here... pass any 'emergency' vehicle with it's lights on on the shoulder while you're in the right lane, you must be at 20 mph below posted limit. Folks around here freak out a bit at the sight of flashing lights... :eek::eek:

Go figure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A buddy is coming out from LA and then we will trailer out our bikes.

2004 998sFE
2008 Hypermotard 1100s
2006 999R Xerox (Not mine)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I planned on going, even got vacation. The downside, supporting the organizations that screwed Kevin Schwantz COTA/DORNA, ticket prices $280+ a day, skip buying ticket & get a Penske shock for SS. Gotta make some ugly decisions soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Moto GP

I've never been to Austin, but everything I hear about it sounds great (music, food, cool people). I've also never been to a Moto GP event, but I understand there are usually quite a few Ducati riders that arrive.
I've never been to Austin nor the USA, the Austin circuit looks interesting unlike Indy which looks bland and featureless.

Living in England I can get to all of the European Moto GPs easily, sometimes we fly (nowhere is further than a 3 hour flight) sometimes we ride usually taking in a few days in the Alps or the Black Forest etc. (including the legendary B500
)

I have been to all of the European Moto GPs (with the exception of Aragon) at least once and most of them 2 or 3 times. The best by a long way is Mugello, stay in Florence, see the sights, Italian food & wine, a trip around the Ducati factory and museum (free admission), a couple of days at the circuit then a ride through Tuscany and the lakes.

I live 20 miles from Silverstone but we camp for 3 days for the atmosphere and party.

If any of you US guys are thinking of going to any European MotoGP's drop me a line and I will give you what advise I can.

GO BRAD!!!! (Bradley Smith #38 the English hero)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts