Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Pulsating L-Twin Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a check engine light (CEL) + code last week half way into a 6-hour run down to the Outer Banks (North Carolina beaches) which required that I enter the PIN code each time to start -- no other (apparent) issues; the bike seems to be running fine. Called dealer service, and they suggested that I replace the battery in the key fob. I did that, but it did not eliminate the code or the need to enter pin to start.

Brought it into the dealership upon my return, and they "fixed" it, so that when I left, I was able to start w/o pin & no CEL... till I was halfway home and the CEL / error message reappeared (I was riding the bike at the time). Starting it up & riding for an hour or so the following day, the bike seems to be operating normally -- no CEL / error message or pin required.

I'm thinking "Great, another bike with a Phantom Menace" (inconsistent and therefore hard-to-resolve fault). Has anyone experienced anything similar? Service manager said that they have seen the DES code before, but in connection with a faulty electronic suspension adjustment circuit board/module; no pin-entry-to-start issues. My bike is a 2011 MTS. Any assistance would be most :cool:

·
Pulsating L-Twin Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I should probably mention that I've read the other DES thread, and I am not experiencing any apparent mechanical issues with the suspension. :think:

·
Registered
805 Posts
there are 5 different DES error codes (and abut 35 other error codes).
none of the DES codes relate to the handsfree ignition.

what is the actual code you see displayed ?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sorry ... no further help here ...
Manual simply says

Code DEVICE DES means Suspension ECU not functioning.
Don't see how that ties in with the HAnds Free ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caught a check engine light (CEL) + code last week half way into a 6-hour run down to the Outer Banks (North Carolina beaches) which required that I enter the PIN code each time to start -- no other (apparent) issues; the bike seems to be running fine. Called dealer service, and they suggested that I replace the battery in the key fob. I did that, but it did not eliminate the code or the need to enter pin to start.

Brought it into the dealership upon my return, and they "fixed" it, so that when I left, I was able to start w/o pin & no CEL... till I was halfway home and the CEL / error message reappeared (I was riding the bike at the time). Starting it up & riding for an hour or so the following day, the bike seems to be operating normally -- no CEL / error message or pin required.

I'm thinking "Great, another bike with a Phantom Menace" (inconsistent and therefore hard-to-resolve fault). Has anyone experienced anything similar? Service manager said that they have seen the DES code before, but in connection with a faulty electronic suspension adjustment circuit board/module; no pin-entry-to-start issues. My bike is a 2011 MTS. Any assistance would be most :cool:
Maybe its a time based thing. I had this tonight. DES Error and CEL at the same time. I've had the preload DES error before once but never again and it wasn't that.

Haven't had to start it on a PIN at all.

Gonna reset battery and replace battery in fob because it was low. Another trip to the dealers...

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I got a DES device error while riding last weekend. The bike seems to work fine but was rain so in a wet road I cannnot abuse.
Tomorrow I'll take the bike to a dealer and scan eletronic system to see what happens.
I think I'm praying for a good and regular pair of Marzocchis!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Pulsating L-Twin Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The actual language on screen reads:

Errors
Device
DES

Oddly enough, it (both the error code and the need to start via pin) has disappeared... at least for the time being. I ran it through the various suspension settings, and it raised / lowered (firmed up / softened) without a hitch. Sooooooooooo :abduct: Italian.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My check engine light came on in the middle of a 136 mile ride tonight. The display read:
Errors
Device
DES

I tried changing engine modes (from Sport to Enduro), the suspension did not adjust. Also the screen continued to read Errors, Device DES. I'm unable to adjust my suspension so I think my Suspension ECU is bad. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. It seems to ride fine otherwise.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Just had this happen this morning with 22,500 miles as follows.

Error

Des Generic

Des Pre Load Error

Front Reload/Front Compression

Rear Reload/Rear Compression

All of these warnings keep recycling over and over on the circle.

Any ideas on what this means?

More than an ECU flash needed?

The bike rides and behaves and works as smooth as always.

It can change into all modes.

But I ride only in Sport.

Is it safe to ride until I get it to the Dealer?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dan,
I would think that all these errors are due to a failed DES ECU. Way easier to replace than if the actuators had failed. Straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Dan,
I would think that all these errors are due to a failed DES ECU. Way easier to replace than if the actuators had failed. Straight to the dealer.
Tim

Appreciate it.

I'll take it in as soon as possible.

I'm thinking it's safe to ride?

Dan

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Safe - yes. If the suspension control fails, it will just stay where it was. Probably fine to ride for a long time. You just cannot adjust anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update: Dealer confirmed my Suspension ECU is bad. He swapped with one off a bike in shop and the suspension would raise and lower, however a second error appeared. Ducati factory rep required more testing before they would approve parts order. Shop manager went ahead and ordered ECU ($1200 part) without approval. He knows its bad but asked me to bring the bike back in to evaluate rear shock. Determined the Pre-Load is likely bad too ($1500 part). He will order this second part after he receives approval from Ducati. Thank God I still have a full year under warranty.

I'm able to ride the bike but just can't adjust the suspension until both parts are replaced. It took about 1 week to get the ECU but still waiting for the pre-load.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Error

Des Generic

Des Pre Load Error

Dan
Just to let future search members know what happens after you get these software notices:

After these warning messages recycle on the circle for maybe thirty full times and you shut down the bike: the next time you start the bike the Error message only says "Pre Load Error" . And that stays put.

Update: Dealer confirmed my Suspension ECU is bad. He swapped with one off a bike in shop and the suspension would raise and lower, however a second error appeared. Ducati factory rep required more testing before they would approve parts order. Shop manager went ahead and ordered ECU ($1200 part) without approval. He knows its bad but asked me to bring the bike back in to evaluate rear shock. Determined the Pre-Load is likely bad too ($1500 part). He will order this second part after he receives approval from Ducati. Thank God I still have a full year under warranty.

I'm able to ride the bike but just can't adjust the suspension until both parts are replaced. It took about 1 week to get the ECU but still waiting for the pre-load.
My bike dropped out of warranty last week.

I can say that if the Dealer and Ducati won't cover the repair and the complete fix comes to $3000: I'll be riding this bike just as is.

I won't like looking at the circle with that warning forever. But the numbers ($$) that Nolan quotes are not going to happen.

Dan

P.S.

Hope Tim is right.

·
Registered
805 Posts
dan,
given that the codes indicate problems from front and rear at the same time.. then your des ecu is the likely culprit. ( im guessing " reload " should have read as " rebound " ?)...

the ecu reiported pretty much all of the possible suspension error messages...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
dan,
given that the codes indicate problems from front and rear at the same time.. then your des ecu is the likely culprit. ( im guessing " reload " should have read as " rebound " ?)...

the ecu reiported pretty much all of the possible suspension error messages...
Wit

Yes, of course!

It was "rebound"!

And every suspension error was covered as being in "error".

Ler's hope a re flash will correct it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Error

Des Generic

Des Pre Load Error

Dan
Dan,
Update.

After two days of getting the above error messages, I start up the bike this morning and.....all back to normal with no pre load error messages at all.

Just called the Dealer and told him what's up.

He said they can re flash the DES ECU but that the same thing will happen again at any time.

They are ordering a new ECU.

Point is......the ECU all of a sudden "corrects" itself with nothing done at all.

This bike is just a Las Vegas vacation without actually going to Las Vegas.

Dan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good News! My bike only required the DES ECU. All other errors cleared once installed. They test rode it, changed modes and pre-loads, and all is well. I looked at the receipt and the ecu was nearly $1500. Their labor was about 3 hours or so.
Mike

I thought I was already out of warranty but the Service Dept. told me that it actually expires on August 27.

I made it by six days.

Dan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts