Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my battery this winter and would like to replace it with an Odessey. I don't mind a little fabrication. I think it would take up less space and weight. I've put them on my harley, DRz and other bikes, they hold a charge through winter without a tender.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Looked at this many times and can't see that they have one that is close to fitting. I would welcome being proven wrong

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Replacing my battery this winter and would like to replace it with an Odessey. I don't mind a little fabrication. I think it would take up less space and weight. I've put them on my harley, DRz and other bikes, they hold a charge through winter without a tender.
I can be done. You will have to makeshift a new tray and deal with the reversed battery poles.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
2001 models on-up already have weight-saving 10AHr AGM batteries.
I don't know that an Oddessy batt. would truely be any different than these AGM batteries. I believe they're both AGM technology.

My older 1998 ST2 had a 16 AHr lead-acid battery that I finally swapped out for a 22 AHr AGM battery. It was a similar size to a Oddesy PC680. But this UB12220 battery was a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, I don't see the same UB12220 offered any more with the neat bolt type terminals that I had on the one I bought.

So, yes, anything can be done, but I did have to modify the batt. box and holder to make it work. Don't forget also, that the newer ST bikes have the ECU gobbling up some volume in that area. My 1998 had full access to the battery box--ECU was under the seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is a super old thread, so my apologies.... but I thought I'd post up my solution to relocating the ECU so one can fit an Odyessy 680 battery - this is on my 2003 ST4s.....

and....

and.....

I had to modify the battery box for the battery... do a small tab at the bottom to hold it... and then modify the fairing mount to incorporate the ECU......

Bike kicks over really nice, all the time..... :D

t

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
That's not as big as I thought they were. Nice work.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
This is a super old thread, so my apologies.... but I thought I'd post up my solution to relocating the ECU so one can fit an Odyessy 680 battery - this is on my 2003 ST4s.....

and....

and.....

I had to modify the battery box for the battery... do a small tab at the bottom to hold it... and then modify the fairing mount to incorporate the ECU......

Bike kicks over really nice, all the time..... :D

t
An excellent solution Trevor.

I've got the PC680, and just need to make the modifications now.

With the ECU relocation, is it just a matter of cutting the fairing stay tube to the necessary length ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
An excellent solution Trevor.

I've got the PC680, and just need to make the modifications now.

With the ECU relocation, is it just a matter of cutting the fairing stay tube to the necessary length ?
Thanks!!!!

Yes - just need to shorten the fairing stay tube to accommodate the ecu mounting point... and use a longer bolt to attach fairing stay tube and ecu to frame. Other end of the ecu is held by good old zip-ties.

t

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm keen on changing my battery but not sure I fancy butchering the bike to do it!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
On the older ST2 and ST4, since the ECU is not down there, it's not a "butcher job" at all...

And on the ST4s, all you need to do is relocate the ecu a bit. Nothing hacked, 'cept the small tab on the bottom of the batt. box. I came up with a custom strap that held the battery in from bottom, all the way to the top. I heat-bent a piece of ABS plastic. It came out tit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm keen on changing my battery but not sure I fancy butchering the bike to do it!
I agree, looks like a lot of trouble and risk to get 170 CCA when you can get a quality unit at 210 CCA which drops straight in

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
With much disapproval from MarkST, I just bought a gel battery rated at 295CCA for $85 delivered free, it is an SSB, it's no lightweight, but it's not obese either, so I don't think I will notice. Super Start Batteries

I will report on it's performance shortly.

Craig

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I've started using those smaller Shorai (sp?) batteries which are a cinch to fit and seem to be real powerhouses. Light as a feather, too. Dry-cells and all that. I haven't encountered any downsides yet. I get the higher rated of the two amperages.

YMMV...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
With much disapproval from MarkST, I just bought a gel battery rated at 295CCA
Why do you say that ? Where did I say I disapproved of anybody buying a gel battery rated at 295CCA ?
That's just making stuff up. You can start it with a crank handle for all I care.

You have a thread elsewhere where you asked for suggestions/opinions on which battery to get, and said you weren't bothered about weight but you were bothered about reliability, so with a genuine intention to help I suggested the Odyssey PC680.

What I disapprove of is your sarcastic reply to that well meant suggestion - telling me I 'must be tripping', and 'thanks for the laugh', and also what I suspect was you then snivelling to the mods to have my replies to your sarcasm removed from the thread in true stand on your own two feet macho man fashion.
for $85 delivered free, it is an SSB, it's no lightweight, but it's not obese either, so I don't think I will notice. Super Start Batteries

I will report on it's performance shortly.
This thread's about putting an Odyssey battery into an ST - hopefully that report will be elsewhere on the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Why do you say that ? Where did I say I disapproved of anybody buying a gel battery rated at 295CCA ?
That's just making stuff up. You can start it with a crank handle for all I care.

You have a thread elsewhere where you asked for suggestions/opinions on which battery to get, and said you weren't bothered about weight but you were bothered about reliability, so with a genuine intention to help I suggested the Odyssey PC680.

What I disapprove of is your sarcastic reply to that well meant suggestion - telling me I 'must be tripping', and 'thanks for the laugh', and also what I suspect was you then snivelling to the mods to have my replies to your sarcasm removed from the thread in true stand on your own two feet macho man fashion.This thread's about putting an Odyssey battery into an ST - hopefully that report will be elsewhere on the forum.
Thanks Mark, your help is much appreciated, your advice is always appreciated, thank you so much.

Kind regards with much love,

Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts