Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 1198 about 6 months ago, and since day 1 have been having problems with it. Beyond the factory recall of having the fuel lines replaced (5 hours), I've had problems that are "common" as I'm told, but even the mechanics say my bike has way more than any other 1198 he's seen...

1) Front fork seal leaked, soaking brakes in oil: Brakes replaced, fork seal replaced (3 hours)
2) Radiator leaked coolant all over inside of bike and out of left fairing (2.5 weeks waiting for new parts)
3) Shifter kit (problem where the bike won't shift into 5th or 6th gear sometimes and I'll accidentally redline since no gear was engaged): They replace it after the 1st week I had it, and now I've had it fixed again, and on the way home it happened AGAIN. They're considering taking it all down and going over everything (transmission, shifter, clutch, etc.)...that'll be another 2 weeks. 3rd time this same problem happened.

What would you do?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do Lemon law...you'll get some $$$ and a new bike...

Worked for me with Land Rover...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have that same shifting problem sometimes when going into 3rd or 4th. I just figured it was because I wasn't an purposeful with my foot lever as I should have been. It's only happened like 3 or 4 times and yeah, sucks seeing that shift light lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All those are common problems but to have them all in 5 months is either a blessing cause you to everything fixed or just a bad bike. Lemon law might be a route to go. Good Luck.

·
9,757 Posts
I have that same shifting problem sometimes when going into 3rd or 4th. I just figured it was because I wasn't an purposeful with my foot lever as I should have been. It's only happened like 3 or 4 times and yeah, sucks seeing that shift light lol.
That happens on every bike, and yeah most of the time it's because you just gave the shifter a little love tap.

Lotsa riders compromise with the stock rearsets and they ride all flat footed with their toes sticking out to the side as opposed to comfortably placed above or below the shifter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is about 1 out of every 2 times, and it's not "love tapping", it won't hit the gear and I'll have to literally jam it up in there to the point where it makes a rifle bolt sound...I'll look into the lemon law.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is it possible you have a clutch issue? Or are you upshifting w/o the clutch?

I haven't had that issue, but I have read of several whose bikes had some nut come loose grinding them to a halt. The fork seal & brake issue sucks huge. Hopefully the mechanics in the field have a mechanism to communicate with whomever assembles the machines and gives them a sound thrashing.

I'd ask the dealer to lease me a floor demo while they UnF*ck your bike. I figure a month for the mechanic to straighten out, then have another pair of eyes review before returning to you.

I wasn't too happy about dropping 6 bills to upload a race map to fix the off idle throttle, but... unfortunately they "all do it" ... It's a Duc, not a H*nda. I know that doesn't help, and the radiator seems to be another common issue. Be glad you are -clearly- under warranty. Give Ducati a chance to make it right though.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I've never understood why just because it's a Ducati means there are problems? My 8 year old 996 has no flaking rockers, no electrical issues, no stalling problems...and I beat the crap out of it. My 748R had no problems...my friends that have 1098's and 848's have no issues.

If there are problems, get them taken care of. If they persist, either find another dealer or call Ducati NA. Don't put up with issues just because it's a Duc. That's BS.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I've never understood why just because it's a Ducati means there are problems? My 8 year old 996 has no flaking rockers, no electrical issues, no stalling problems...and I beat the crap out of it. My 748R had no problems...my friends that have 1098's and 848's have no issues.

If there are problems, get them taken care of. If they persist, either find another dealer or call Ducati NA. Don't put up with issues just because it's a Duc. That's BS.
+1 Kind of agree w/ you Cobra, I heard all sorts of horror stories regarding the Ducati brand.....so far my 2003 999 w/ 12,000 miles on it has been great! The only complaint is the delay/inconsistencies in ordering parts, otherwise my engine sounds so sweet and rock solid!
I'll say another thing, so far I have over 6,000 miles on my belts and to be honest they look to be in excellent condition, I see no reason why they can't go to 7500 easy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Should have got a 999R and you would have no problems. It sounds like the dealer to me! I have raced ducs and have 9000 track miles on my R with no problems what so ever! No I am just kidding, I also have a 08 CBR 1000 RR and the web is full of bikes with burning oil problems! I beat the thing whenever I ride it and no oil burning what so ever! Go to another dealer!

ZDM, change your belts every 2 years even if they look good! It is a very cheap fix to do for the amount of money to fix it should one fail!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts