Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer the other day and looking at all of the cool carbon Fiber stuff they sell.
The head (factory trained) tech told me not to waste my money on the carbon Fiber Timing belt covers, unless I just wanted the bling, because those covers just hold the belt dust in and can cause other issues related to dust.
He says he never runs covers on his bikes and doesnt ride them in bad weather or conditions, plus he is able to look at them often to check the wear.
Just wondering who else here recomends or doesnt recomend running them.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ya know, I like running with covers for many reasons. One of which is the simple fact, thats your timing belt man... If anything got in there, piece of dirt, stone, loose cable, anything, you'd basically have to re-build your motor.

The first 916/996RS corse and 748RS bikes didn't have belt covers. All the testastretta's have them and likewise a very kool and simplistic cooling system to keep things at the right temp.

The stock covers work great, especially on the later models.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I liked this belt cover option for my bike...........

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Aside from 'foreign bodies' entering the belts, there are (on my bike anyway) numerous cables and things that sit on or very close to the covers that might get eaten away by the belt or worse still go into the belt and jump it off the pulley. :eek:

I've already had my multimeter test lead 'eaten' by my clutch. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for the information and the input. This just confermed my thoughts. I was surprised to hear the technician prefered this meathod. He had a good point however I like that clear faced cover for inspection purposes.
I bet I could make one of those out of the carbon fiber cover with a dremel and rivots.

·
Registered
407 Posts
belt covers

Here you go: It's bling, and you get to see the condition of your belts at any given moment.

And being Rizoma, they only cost "two million dollars!".

Keep the stock belt covers on.

Don't be silly.

The stock belts will go 12k miles effortlessly, there is no need to check 'condition' or dust in the belts. Total BS.

The belts will last 24 k, which is why I change mine every 12k.

That mechanic is filling you full of crap.

-Bob

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Im going to bling the bike out. I enjoy the real carbon fiber thing.
Since the cheap chineese body kit on it has stress cracks, Im going to replace them one at a time with carbon peices. Im pretty sure Im going to paint most of the body work and leave just certain parts partially painted to show that they are real carbon.
I like the idea of the carbon fiber timing belt covers.
If I can save a few pounds here and there thats a plus.

·
9,757 Posts
And being Rizoma, they only cost "two million dollars!".

Keep the stock belt covers on.

Don't be silly.

The stock belts will go 12k miles effortlessly, there is no need to check 'condition' or dust in the belts. Total BS.

The belts will last 24 k, which is why I change mine every 12k.

That mechanic is filling you full of crap.

-Bob
Dude its 200 bucks, same as any decent clutch cover.

But I do agree, no need to inspect them all the time. See-through is cool though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I do like those Rizoma belt covers, even though I don't feel the need to look at our belts between services, but they are very nice. Unfortunately, bike bling budget has been exceeded due to some excessive spending in the last week so will put those onto my wish list.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I run open belts. I make regular checks to make sure wiring harness and such is clear. As far as debris, I live in a town that is notorious for gravel on the roads and I have had no issues. The main reason for open belts is they run cooler as far as I can figure, seeing how heat is a detrimental to objects which flex. Bottom line though if you have concerns/doubts run the covers.
jmo

·
Registered
163 Posts
I only run no belt covers on my race bike. Mostly for cooling, but it does allow a quick visual inspection.

In my opinion the covers just help keep the crap out which isn't a bad thing on the street. But it is so cool seeing the mechanicals doing they're job when running!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts