Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05' ST4s w/4K miles. The noise started about 1K miles ago.

My rear brakes squeal LOUDLY when coming to a stop. I tried scuffing the rotor with a heavy duty scuff pad and it did nothing.

Anyone else have this happen?

What cured it?

Is it a warranty issue?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Me too!

My 05 ST3 does the same thing. It started around 1000 miles. It gets louder as I slow with more braking pressure.

I am thinking of some organic compound pads, or some Galfer or Brembo HH pads. Anyone using these?

Don

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mine did it too until I changed pad material. Gone. You can do something to make it go away for a while - pull the pads and grind (or sand) a 45 degree angle into the leading edge of each pad. That quiets it right down but it also reduces braking force a little bit. It's the rear brake so it didn't matter to me and to be honest I didn't notice the loss of power.

Then I just switched to Ferodo Platinum pads and no more squeal. Dead silent.

D

·
0 Posts
'96 Monster did the same thing. Has the same swingarm arm setup. Put some red sticky stuff on the back of the pads and the problem went away for a while. Change to EBC HH has fixed it so far. Ordered them for the '04 ST3. Film at 11.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same problem

Ducati Richmond even replaced my pads and still the same problem. Must just be a small glitch with the Brembo's...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Rear brake? What’s that for? ;-)

Actually, I only use it for initializing braking and for really slow speed parking lot turns. I don’t hear any squeal in those situations.

My suggestion is: try using more front brake and ease off the rear.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
probably the second most common issue with the brembo rears. Try the above suggestions, Permatex disk brake quiet, scuff the leading edge, or a different pad material. The disk brake quiet worked on my Monster, Haven't gotten around to the ST yet. Just living with the noise for now.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Yup! I think that all the OEM pads make noise. I made it go away by wearing ear plugs. LOL...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had this issue with fronts and rears. I changed to Galfer HH pads and poof Gone! No noise, great stopping. Sure, the cheap pads are easier on the pocketbook but no noise and a little better stopping feel is worth it to me. There is also some spray on stuff safe for rotors called De-Squeak rotor conditioner. I've used it on my SUV and it worked great. Never tried it on the bike though. It may just be a temporary fix for the bike. Check ebay for the Galfer pads. I got the two sets of fronts, and a set of rears on there pretty cheap compared to dealer prices.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My wife was following me one day out of the subdivision and she commented on how loudly the rear brakes were squealing. I guess I should do something about it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
jh225 said:
05' ST4s w/4K miles. The noise started about 1K miles ago.

My rear brakes squeal LOUDLY when coming to a stop. I tried scuffing the rotor with a heavy duty scuff pad and it did nothing.
The problem is not the rotor, it's the pads becoming glazed from light brake applications. To cure it, take it up to 90-100 mph and apply heavy, rear wheel only braking down to 20 mph. Repeat a few times in a row if necessary. It helps avoid locking up the tire if you shift your weight towards the rear. If your pads are severely glazed you will really have to stand on the brake to get enough friction for this to work. The heat will cause the pads to out-gas and the friction will expose new friction material. Be careful with this procedure because as it starts to work, your rear brake will become more effective and you could inadvertantly lock up the rear tire. To avoid this, focus your attention on how fast you are slowing down instead of how hard you are pushing on the brake lever.

Problem cured.

I still have the OEM rear pads after 27,000 miles, they are silent and they work GREAT! When the pads are glazed from light use you will not get any braking power out of the rear but after you condition them as I've outlined above you will have to be careful that you don't lock the rear up, especially when using the front and rear brake in tandem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike said:
The problem is not the rotor, it's the pads becoming glazed from light brake applications. To cure it, take it up to 90-100 mph and apply heavy, rear wheel only braking down to 20 mph. Repeat a few times in a row if necessary. It helps avoid locking up the tire if you shift your weight towards the rear. If your pads are severely glazed you will really have to stand on the brake to get enough friction for this to work. The heat will cause the pads to out-gas and the friction will expose new friction material. Be careful with this procedure because as it starts to work, your rear brake will become more effective and you could inadvertantly lock up the rear tire. To avoid this, focus your attention on how fast you are slowing down instead of how hard you are pushing on the brake lever.
Very interesting option....I will give it a try, if it ever stops raining and warms up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine does it, but I don't use it much... unless my wife is on... and then I tell her it means she needs to go to the gym more. Yeah, that's the ticket! (but seriously, it does squeak - more of a howl, actually)

:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds good Mike,
I'll give it a try. My ST4s' rear brake just began squeaking/howling at 15,000 miles. It's never had much stopping power even though I've bled it numerous times...hopefully your method will increase its effect.

Mike said:

Problem cured.

I still have the OEM rear pads after 27,000 miles, they are silent and they work GREAT! When the pads are glazed from light use you will not get any braking power out of the rear but after you condition them as I've outlined above you will have to be careful that you don't lock the rear up, especially when using the front and rear brake in tandem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jh225, my 04 st3 started squeaking at around 400 miles, I did the same thing Mike recommended in his post and it worked for me, I have 2,787 miles on my bike now and it never squeaks during stoping. I can also lock up the back wheel if I want with no problem. David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts