Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as if I'm having a more than one issue at once. The bike feels like a John Deere when shifting. Hard engagement of gears, beyond a little notchy. Also, it simultaneously started 'chugging' off the line in first gear, and to top it off, it has started to 'hunt' at partial throttle openings. Just does not have good 'carburetion' at say 3K putting around town. The chugging almost has a valve tapping quality to the sound. I'm a little over the 5K mark for mileage with no valve adjustment yet (due on the to do list). Thanks for any input/advice.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Shifting should be smooth as butter, my sc is, this bike new to you or has the 30000 rpm thing just started as most Ducs don't like riding around there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shifting should be smooth as butter, my sc is, this bike new to you or has the 30000 rpm thing just started as most Ducs don't like riding around there?
Shifting used to be smooth as butter but not anymore. I don't think there was one instance where it started (like a full throttle missed shift) but I noticed the clunky shifting one day last week. Really notice it going from neutral to first. And the fuel injection 'hunting' used to not happen. I have the termi racing exhaust for the Paul Smart with ECU. The bike was fine before and after it's installation. I've had the exhaust for a year or so and it's been fine until lately. Trying to figure out what changed....

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Oil up to par for the shifting?
You riding at the same elevation? The termi's do away with the O'2 sensor so that is out of question no?
Check air filter for fueling, only things that should change otherwise you are in for service, good luck..

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The poor shifting may be due to the problems with the fuelling; possibly the throttle is not closing down quick enough on upchanges; but, have you bled the clutch? it may have developed some air in the system.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Check you chain tension. Often, when I can't change gears by preloading (no clutching), it is a sign to me to check chain tension. Also, I've noticed on a Paul Smart, that you need to have your weight on the bike to check the tension properly.
If this doesn't do it, perhaps your gearbox dogs need a bit of adjustment.
I don't think you really even need to consider a valve adjustment on a DS engine until 12-15K miles.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Your bike is probably due for an oil change and its 6K service. Have Moto Corsa do it. Ask them to have AJ perform the work. Once he synchs you throttle bodies, adjusts the belts, makes sure that the valves are in spec, and so on, the issues you are experiencing will go away, except for the chugging at 3k rpm. To get rid of that, you're gonna have to do some of the things that I've done to my bike, such as the PC-III with a custom map. Lightening up rotating parts helps with that problem too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts