Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just my shitty luck? Any chance of the dealer covering this as the bike has under 200 miles ?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Is it just my shitty luck? Any chance of the dealer covering this as the bike has under 200 miles ?
If your dealer is cool, they will warrantee the airbox, you are not the first one to do this. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
426 Posts
My dealer covered stripped captured nuts in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
stripped inserts in the tank and/or the airbox are not a big deal ... very easy to fix yourself.

• get some good quality epoxy
  • take the insert out of the plastic
  • clean the hole in the plastic out (remove any plastic burrs/dust)
  • clean the insert "barbs" out with a toothbrush or wire brush
  • mix epoxy and fill hole in plastic about 2/3 full
  • screw bolt into the insert (place some grease on the end of the bolt, before screwing into insert, so epoxy will not stick to bolt)
  • smear some epoxy on the insert and place into the hole
  • tap the bolt with a hammer/mallet to seat the insert fully into the hole
  • straighten if required
  • let epoxy cure
  • remove bolt
  • install airbox lid

the above process is what the mechanics at the ducati factory who maintain the press bikes do to deal with stripped inserts. works great, fast, and easy to do.

i have done the above on three inserts (two in airbox, one on fuel tank).

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sheared off a bolt in the airbox with a 3 inch allen key... that's pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. I was taking the airbox off to put on the Beast kit, so I haven't tried to cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They installed them with an f*%king impact gun:mad:...it if really frustrating when a tiny brass fastener that is anchored in plastic takes that much effort to break loose. I was in disbelief when I took mine off... had two of the six strip and used a screwdriver to pry open the lid after that, then pressed the studs back in and installed with correct torque, no issues.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Very Frustrating....Just a thought here ...I haven't had any issues with them yet...Would it help if you iced the area around the inserts to stiffen up the plastic a bit before removal? If you guys are working at 80 90 100 degrees ambiant temp in your garage would that be a factor?? Even if it saved just one or two of them..Yea over tight is over tight ...What brand name and type of epoxy would yous reccommend ? so I can have some on hand???

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to my local dealer and Ducati North America about it, it should be covered. The worst part is that I have to take my bike in all stitched up to have them replace it.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
what is happening is simple chemical reaction/corrosion ... the bolts are one alloy, and the inserts are brass. to avoid this happening in the future, i used a small amount of loctite anti-seize.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Mine weren't stripped, but they were gorilla tight and spun the captured nut when I went to remove the airbox lid. This directly led to me breaking out the Dremel and surgically removing the lid. A complete waste of an airbox because some jackass overtightened the bolts. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn it! I went to try to do the airbox mod and this is my problem now!!! I read that someone had to pry the lid off with a screwdriver. I would try this but it is the two bolts at the rear of the airbox closest to the tail section. I can't really get to them without removing the tank completely. Any suggestions?!?!? Please help, if you can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My warranty has been up for a little while, so I guess that I can't get the dealer to replace it.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Stacks and the mid-sized performance tank will be your answer.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Dave. But I'm already on the preorder list and I would like a solution that I can do immediately and inexpensively until I get the tank and stacks later on. I do want to ride my bike before then.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ok, then seriously, use a screw driver to pry up on the cover WHILE you unscrew the screws. The leverage from the cover lifting up on the screws as they are turning out should get you going.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, Dave. I will try that!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got it! Screwdriver trick didn't work. Thanks anyways though. I had to cut the edge of the plastic on the lid from the bolts to the edge with a sheetrock knife. It worked and the bolts are still in the airbox. I just have to wedge the lid under them first then install the other bolts after. Luckily they were on the same side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts