Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thinking about drilling the flapper blade off on my 2018 1260 and I was wondering if anyone has done it and if there are any issues? Will the servo and cable still operate as normal or does the flapper itself act as the stop endpoints, etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey guys,

Thinking about drilling the flapper blade off on my 2018 1260 and I was wondering if anyone has done it and if there are any issues? Will the servo and cable still operate as normal or does the flapper itself act as the stop endpoints, etc.
I've removed plenty while installing exhausts on various bikes (I work as a mech by day). Pretty sure you are referring to the exhaust valve. If you want to stop it from closing, remove the servo cables. This will keep any error from occurring (at least it does on other makes). I just installed a Two Brothers slip-on on an R6 that had me remove the servo to remove cables, then reinstall the motor for this very reason. A little safety wire where the cables attach will keep the valve in place. You very well may find that it leaves an undesirable effect, so I discourage "drilling".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've removed plenty while installing exhausts on various bikes (I work as a mech by day). Pretty sure you are referring to the exhaust valve. If you want to stop it from closing, remove the servo cables. This will keep any error from occurring (at least it does on other makes). I just installed a Two Brothers slip-on on an R6 that had me remove the servo to remove cables, then reinstall the motor for this very reason. A little safety wire where the cables attach will keep the valve in place. You very well may find that it leaves an undesirable effect, so I discourage "drilling".
Yeah...I have removed plenty in my day as well. I just was asking because on my Tuono you could not just remove cables or it would still throw an error because it used the "exhaust valve" blade as the top points for the servo. I know there are options like a plug in servo eliminator etc. but I just want a cheap effective way to either keep it open or eliminate it. That valve does nothing except reduce noise with the cat in place.

What undesirable effect might I encounter? A loss in torque? I have yet to experience that on any bike I have removed one from, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Some systems will be open with no cables and some will be closed. It is worth verifying which yours is and wire it in the open position. Know that the bike was mapped with it functioning so in the range it is now not functioning your fuel requirements may not be the same. If you are running O2 sensors the O2 sensor will keep you where they want so there should be no change.

Bottom line is open it without any permanent change and then put some miles on it how you normally drive so you can see if it is still acceptable. If all is good then you can remove the valve with no harm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, definitely don't want a CEL. Might be easier to just get a servo eliminator plug, unhook the cables and wire it open for now. Going to think on it as the bike is new anyway, lol

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
You can't just disconnect the cable (or disconnect the motor) or you'll get a cel... I believe folks have drilled out the flapper and that works fine (the cable is still connected to the exhaust valve and it turns but the flapper inside is gone. Not sure what it takes to remove the flapper without removing the actuator.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to make sure the flapper is open and then unplug the actuator motor and install the servo eliminator.

Note that it's possible (maybe even likely) that doing that on an otherwise stock exhaust will cost you midrange power (exactly where the multi can least afford to lose it). I've not seen before/after dyno data (so it could be BS) but some 'experts' have indicated that the flapper is functional and tunes the powerband. Of course that may just be a story to try to prevent folks from removing the thing (because it's certain that it's there to dampen sound in the Euro test protocol range).

Reactions: CRFan1

·
Registered
270 Posts
I drilled the two screws on my 2015 and removed the plate and the cables still turned the rod and it ran fine, (no codes) if you unplug the servo it will throw a code... Like Dave said above, you can get the Servo Eliminator and it will stay open, or remove the plate and you are done. The servo plug is made by DucEE I believe. Removing it made no issues at all with performance, it is only there for "Sound Regulations" Not performance, the CAT removes all the performance that you need... Best to remove them both CAT and Exhaust and get an aftermarket and it's a screamer then.

Here it is.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/duc-ee/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts