Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone in here has changed out the rear shock spring and/or front fork springs on their own? Curious to know how long it took you, any pitfalls to look out for, hard-learned tips, etc.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wondering if anyone in here has changed out the rear shock spring and/or front fork springs on their own? Curious to know how long it took you, any pitfalls to look out for, hard-learned tips, etc.
You need a spring compressor for the rear which most of us don't have. Virtually impossible to do without one or creating something homemade. Haven't done front springs on this one but have on others and it's a "no sweat" job.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thought about it, then spoke to the master tech in the local Ducati dealership and he did it in just over an hour. Damage... $87. It was well worth the time and frustration saved on my part, and I usually low diy stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tried to read as much as I could about this spring upgrade and while there was some info on offer the only way I was going to find out the full story was to go ahead and do it myself.
I purchased the spring front and rear from Dan Kyle.
Landed in Oz at my home for $315US not bad concidering it would have been $435AU purchased here in Australia.

I down loaded the spring removal info from
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/resources/6795/assets/images/Ducati_MTS1200/other/mts1200_rear_shock.pdf
to stear me in the right direction.

Did the job last night.
The first thing that you don't have to do is remove the back wheel, leave it on as it stops the swing arm from falling down to much.
Second thing you do have to do that is not mentioned is you have to un screw the rear subframe left hand side top and pry it open to allow the removel of the shock resivoir tube to be pulled out so the whole assembally can come away.

The other thing I would like to clear up is the spring length difference on the 10kg upgrade replacement. It's not 5mm shorter it is 3mm placed next to the stocker and measured.

I also added preload which can be done manually by 3mm.
You could not add 5mm even if the shock was 5mm shorter because there is none. I have 2 threads left on the preload, going 5mm would have seen the adjuster come off the thread.

So there you have it.
Personally I think the replacement spring is a genuine Ohlin spring and the stocker is not. The difference in the spring lengths makes me smell a rat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
...I also added preload which can be done manually by 3mm.
You could not add 5mm even if the shock was 5mm shorter because there is none. I have 2 threads left on the preload, going 5mm would have seen the adjuster come off the thread.
Thanks Johnny.

Does this imply there's a tad of "pre-preload" (i.e. a base preload) that can be applied to the stock electronic Ohlins?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Johnny.

Does this imply there's a tad of "pre-preload" (i.e. a base preload) that can be applied to the stock electronic Ohlins?
Yes you have 3mm that can be added manually.
It only leaves you with 2 threads left, I wouldn't go any further.
I don't know if that will make much difference to the stocker.

While my bike was apart I took advantage of it and cleaned where you can't get otherwise. I put the bike back together this morning and took it up the street. My settings wore Sport + 1 and it is considerabley stiffer.
I have to mention I have no cat and am 95kg not suited up.
I can tell there is going to be plenty of preload available now when needed.

Front gets done this Wednesday so if the weather is good for next Sunday 15th I'll post a new post with all the test results for my weight at speed and crusing.

:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnny - Cool to hear you did the job yourself. How did you get the spring off? Did you build a spring compressor as in the motorcycle info pages write-up?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Johnny - Cool to hear you did the job yourself. How did you get the spring off? Did you build a spring compressor as in the motorcycle info pages write-up?
No mate I have a spring compresser, my mate who is a Fitter made it for me. Have changed suspension on all my bikes.

The job took 1 hour to undo everything and about the same to put back.
I printed off the help pages but soon realised the subframe needed to be undone to get the reservoir out.
The subframe needs to be pried open with a lever to allow access.
If you do it your self you will soon understand, that's about the only surprise.
You also need the oppropiate tools to wind down preload. If you don't just take the shock into a place that can change springs and add preload, should only cost you $20 to $50 will only take 10 minutes. All the hard work is done by you.
Tell the tech that the upgrade spring is shorter and for him to measure it and add preload as required, 3mm in total.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jonny B Good

Yes you have 3mm that can be added manually.
It only leaves you with 2 threads left, I wouldn't go any further.
:)

I give kudos. Glad you made out ok.

2 threads will give 2mm. You are talking about 2 threads below the pre-load collar correct?
Or, you have only 2mm of threads holding the collar?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I give kudos. Glad you made out ok.

2 threads will give 2mm. You are talking about 2 threads below the pre-load collar correct?
Or, you have only 2mm of threads holding the collar?
2 threads left holding the collar, the preload is maxed out!
And the reason for this is that the replacement spring (Ohlins) is 3mm shorter.
I haven't riden on the spring yet apart from down the street but I only installed it to Dan Kyles recommedations.
Depending on weght it could have been back off, but I wont know that until I ride it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Any chance you could count the (1mm) threads above the collar for a comparison with my setup?

·
Registered
602 Posts
A Measrement.

If you will, count the individual threads exposed on the shock assembly that are above the pre-load collar. it will give an exact measurement of how far your collar is wound compared to mine.

Each turn of the pre-load collar = 1mm.

I usually count the high point of threads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you will, count the individual threads exposed on the shock assembly that are above the pre-load collar. it will give an exact measurement of how far your collar is wound compared to mine.

Each turn of the pre-load collar = 1mm.

I usually count the high point of threads.
I thought that's what you meant last night so I did go and do that and it is 6.5 to 7 exposed above the collar. Have you the upgrade spring in?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Affirmative.

Have you the upgrade spring in?
Yes I do.

Thanks for the measurement. Will check mine as soon as it gets sorted for other issues, and final warranty work, at a Duc shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts