Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my 12K service this winter and I was wondering if anyone cut shims to a smaller size rather than buying smaller ones? I can't get myself to shell out $400 for a shim kit and there are no dealers within 300 miles. If its doable, I could buy used shims and cut them to exact size chucked up on the lathe set up with a grinder.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
HI Mojo,
Ducat shims are hardened but can be turned down on a lathe. You have to take small cuts with sharp, carbide tooling. My shims are even harder (Rc 60) and will wear a tool very quickly. Probably better to grind them down if you are taking off more than a few thousanths.

I have a lapping machine that I use if the shims are slightly too big.

Usually your closing clearances increase and the opening ones decrease with time.

I sell individual shims if you dont want to go through the hassle.

Mike

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dude, shell out! When you find there are certain sizes you won't possibly use Mike will let you trade them in for ones you run short of. Way worth it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the shims are a few thousandths too big, then grinding them to size is
something I've done since my Paso days. I use a plate of sheet glass from
an old picture frame and multiple grit wet sand paper. I usually start
with 200 grit, working my way up to 1000. It can be laborious, but somehow
satisfying. Make sure you constantly rotate the shim with your fingers to
ensure an even, flat surface. Not as easy as plopping down the dough for
new ones, but for a tightwad like me, more gratifying.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've done my fair share of lapping when I worked in the shipyard. I figure I'll buy the ones that need to be bigger, and grind/lap the ones needing to be smaller.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
And I can tell you FOR SURE that the EMS shims are harder. I spent a LOT of time on one of them, using wet sandpaper...with little or no progress!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shims hardened?

Interesting responses re: shims being hardened.
When I had access to a very nice lathe with a collett holder, I used to turn down shims when servicing my 2V and found them to cut like butter. At first I was a bit taken aback but reasoned they should be soft since they are the preferable expendable piece compared to the rockers. Anyway, maybe my cutting tool was just super sharp...
On the other hand, the shims do seem very hard when trying to sand them down by hand - what a PITA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts