Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about -1 in the front and/or +1 in the rear...trying to get better ridability at lower revs...what's your opinion?...

I'd prefer not to replace the chain...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm thinking about -1 in the front and/or +1 in the rear...trying to get better ridability at lower revs...what's your opinion?...

I'd prefer not to replace the chain...
Put the 14t on yesterday. Highly recommended. Also got the reflash. I'm very happy now.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the 14t on yesterday. Highly recommended. Also got the reflash. I'm very happy now.
Where did you source the sprocket?

Also, do you need some sort of recalibrator in order for the dash MPH readout to reflect the new gearing?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Where did you source the sprocket?

Also, do you need some sort of recalibrator in order for the dash MPH readout to reflect the new gearing?
Got it from my dealer, they added with the first service. I have no idea what it may have done to the mph, I was too busy having fun riding the bike to even notice my speed. I'll figure out what its off and just adjust my speeds accordingly. Not overly worried, the stock set up is 8% off already.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
the speed sensors read speed directly from the wheels (buttons on the brakes) .. chains and sprockets shouldn't affect these.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it from my dealer, they added with the first service. I have no idea what it may have done to the mph, I was too busy having fun riding the bike to even notice my speed. I'll figure out what its off and just adjust my speeds accordingly. Not overly worried, the stock set up is 8% off already.
Thanks, I think I'm going to go that route also...and yeah, I found the speedo to be pretty optimistic...yours is probably more accurate with the change...

·
Registered
465 Posts
the speed sensors read speed directly from the wheels (buttons on the brakes) .. chains and sprockets shouldn't affect these.
Thanks I was just trying to research where the sensors where on these bikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What you have on the front wheel is the speed sensor for DTC, not speedo (reading from front is compared with reading from back for DTC to operate). Standard model doesn't have magnets on rotor carrier and still somehow figures out speed, right?
Sensor used for speedo is reading from it's data from gears. I had my 14-tooth sprocket put on yesterday, speed in all gears went down 6-8% and it's now closer to real speed. Ridability is vastly improved - highly recommended mod, $40 for sprocket and they charged me 1/2hr of tech time.

Edit: Thinking about it, even if the speedo is driven from the rear wheel, it must read wheel speed, not gears - otherwise I would not see speed change (I compared speed at 5k rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th).
I just checked - there are buttons and sensor on rear brake too, so this is how it reads the speed and how speed indicated has changed (wheel turns slower at the same revs).
Sorry blawrence, thought that you are talking about front brake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Getting the 14t front sprocket put on this week at my initial service. Looking forward to experiencing the difference it makes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What you have on the front wheel is the speed sensor for DTC, not speedo (reading from front is compared with reading from back for DTC to operate). Standard model doesn't have magnets on rotor carrier and still somehow figures out speed, right?
Sensor used for speedo is reading from it's data from gears. I had my 14-tooth sprocket put on yesterday, speed in all gears went down 6-8% and it's now closer to real speed. Ridability is vastly improved - highly recommended mod, $40 for sprocket and they charged me 1/2hr of tech time.

Edit: Thinking about it, even if the speedo is driven from the rear wheel, it must read wheel speed, not gears - otherwise I would not see speed change (I compared speed at 5k rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th).
I just checked - there are buttons and sensor on rear brake too, so this is how it reads the speed and how speed indicated has changed (wheel turns slower at the same revs).
Sorry blawrence, thought that you are talking about front brake.
Ok now I'm confused. Does it read from the gear or the wheel? Does the speed go down compared to stock because another thread I just read said it will go up compared to stock.

If the stock speed is 8% off (optimistic according to the manual) then will it now be about actual speed or will it be even more off?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It reads it from the wheel, so speed is still off by the same amount. I thought that speed indication went down, but I was comparing to values that I remembered at 5k rpm from before change. Indicated speed seemed to go down, but it was because with -1T change bike moves slower at the same rpm.
If it was reading from gears, then there would be no change of indicated speed vs rpm, and there would be change in speedo reading vs real speed - even more off (too high).
Sorry for confusion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm going to lower the gearing also. If I lived on the Autobahn I might keep it as is, but at 80mph it is lugging the engine in top gear.

Now my service guy said a 14T would grind down the swingarm rubber, and if the chain got loose enough, eventually wear into the swingarm itself. He recommended going up in the rear instead. So I'm thinking up 2-3 teeth in the rear to get an equivalent ratio. My old Monster 900 has a 14-41 combo that is about perfect for where I usually ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer had suggested doing a front sprocket change to lower the gearing. I'm in for my first service today which should include the reflash. I'm going to wait until I see how it feels after with the new fuel mapping before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up a 14t today, going to have it installed at my first service...and pray for a good result...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts