Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine turned orange after about 4 months? it occurred to me recently (daah) that i might claim it under warranty - anyone tried?:eek:

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
You must be kidding.

If not, the answer 'no chance'.

Chains rust if not lubed, and it's the owners responsibility to lube them.

Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i lube regularly and never had this happen before - ever - not even after 4 years...:mad: let alone 4 months on a new bike!
ps. i've heard others have problems with premature rust on certain nuts/bolts etc...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
i lube regularly and never had this happen before - ever - not even after 4 years...:mad: let alone 4 months on a new bike!
ps. i've heard others have problems with premature rust on certain nuts/bolts etc...
I experience rust on the carrier bolts of the brakes, oil line fittings and the adjuster on the clutch lever. Talked to Ducati, they told me that I must ride it in salty conditions. Yep, right next to the...uh...the ocean in Illinois.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I experience rust on the carrier bolts of the brakes, oil line fittings and the adjuster on the clutch lever. Talked to Ducati, they told me that I must ride it in salty conditions. Yep, right next to the...uh...the ocean in Illinois.
It doesn't take salt to make things rust. If I wash my car and get water on the brake rotors they rust immediately. I can watch it happening. :eek:

On the other hand, my chain has never rusted because I keep it oiled. :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chain wax.....good stuff :D

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Yeah, you must be using a lube like BelRay Superclean or something. Good stuff, but won't protect our crappy OEM chains from rust.

You can restore it by scrubbing it with kerosene (aka paraffin oil) and a very stiff brush. Then after it has dried apply a more protective lube like the aforementioned chain wax.

Or, just replace it with a better chain - not exactly an expensive or difficult thing to do. I would *never* subject myself to a dealer to make a warranty claim and save $120. The time it would take me to ride it there, wait for two hours while they ignored my appointment time, wait another hour while they did the job, and ride it home again is worth more than that. Find a buddy with a chain press if you don't have one, and make an evening of it. Good excuse to drink a few beers.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks gentlemen!
yes, as it happens it's belray i'm using (but it's never had this effect before)- will swap over quick smart... and check the difference.

(i'm not near the ocean)

i guessed i'd struggle big time with the dealer, but worth the question - you never know, since i'd heard rust is an issue...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I guessed the lube only because I had exactly the same thing happen. I bought the bike in Fall 2006, and first winter in storage in the garage with BelRay on the chain it rusted all to sh*t, with only 1000 km on the bike!

So, I know for sure that the kerosene / chain wax trick will work. I also do the kerosene thing once a year to clean off the old wax and collected dirt. My original chain is still on and looks like new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts