Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the bike has a 15/38 as it comes from Italy, I'm thinking of going to a 14, just so I can use a little more of the range of this engine and tranny, otherwise I doubt I'll ever see 6th! I find that cruising around at 35-40mph puts me right around 4000 rpm in 2nd, I'd much rather be at 5k.

Thoughts? (I know you have some!)

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
I have a 14t on order, should get it by the end of this week.

I'll probably go to a 40 or 41 rear after I get a little time on the front. (If it will fit, not sure about that yet)

Btw one tooth in the front is not gonna make a 1000 RPM difference.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,233 Posts
I've got an order in for the FatDuc Manipulators (takes two). Should get it in this week. The bike just needs that little extra fuel on the bottom to kill the flat spot. I totally made my S2R1k ridable at 2500rpm in neighborhoods. Right now anything below 4200 is to wound up, not to mention that when in 1st gear it amplifies this. You can at higher speeds dip into the 4k range as bike momentum covers the lean tuning, but slower speeds and efforting a quiet launch from dead start take more concentration than should be needed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've got an order in for the FatDuc Manipulators (takes two). Should get it in this week. The bike just needs that little extra fuel on the bottom to kill the flat spot. I totally made my S2R1k ridable at 2500rpm in neighborhoods. Right now anything below 4200 is to wound up, not to mention that when in 1st gear it amplifies this. You can at higher speeds dip into the 4k range as bike momentum covers the lean tuning, but slower speeds and efforting a quiet launch from dead start take more concentration than should be needed.
Can't wait to hear if this cures the low end woes. Please let us know.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You can at higher speeds dip into the 4k range as bike momentum covers the lean tuning, but slower speeds and efforting a quiet launch from dead start take more concentration than should be needed.
I have no problem with quiet launches and 380 of my 400 miles have been betwen 4,000 and 6,000 rpms. What I'm not too crazy about is having to downshift to first for residential and city turns - if I take them in 2nd, I end up at 2,000 and the bike lugs. But changing the gearing will just make it more wheelie prone. No?

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
But changing the gearing will just make it more wheelie prone. No?
Maybe a little more than it already is but one tooth in the front is almost hard to notice. I don't think it's gonna make that much difference.

(Also realize that I live and ride at 5000 to 10,000 ft, ASL. I'm down on power 15 to 20% from you guys at sea level.
The bike is not too crazy up here and a minor change like a sprocket doesn't change much - it may be different at sea level?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts