Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to change grips and was wondering if anyone knows the bar size for replacing the grips. Is there also a throttle tube under the right one so it has to be a larger diameter than the left?

·
Registered
630 Posts
The bar is 7/8" or 22mm. I don't know the O.D. of the throttle tube. I'm sure someone else will though.

ETA: I think any sportbike grips will fit.

·
comrade moderator
27,023 Posts
Any motorcycle hand grip set, as long as it isn't a Harley Davidson set, will work just fine. They all come with two different sized grips, one for the bare 7/8" bar on the clutch side, and a slightly larger diameter one for the throttle tube (I don't know what that measurement is either).

Streetbike grips will tend to have an open outside end for bar end weights, etc. Dirtbike grips will generally be closed on the ends.

You may run into different lengths - 125mm or 135mm. Seems like Pro-Grip did this...don't know if anybody else did. 125mm is usually a Dirtbike grip while 135 is street...usually.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i still have the stock units on, but wrap them with tennis racquet tape. I like the grip (wet and dry) a well as the added bulk. When it wears, I just buy a couple of new rolls and re-do things.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i still have the stock units on, but wrap them with tennis racquet tape. I like the grip (wet and dry) a well as the added bulk. When it wears, I just buy a couple of new rolls and re-do things.
+1 on the tennis grips. They work OK, but I just got a pair of Grip Puppies in the mail and I'm going to try them out. I had something like these waaay back on my '81 900F , and remember liking the feel. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm still sold on old '80's technology, too - changed my grips out to Grab-On Foam Cell grips, and love the vibration damping they offer, as well as the increased diameter (i have big hands.)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I added a pair of HotGrips to my ST2 right after I bought it. The OD on the HGrips were larger than OEM, and I enjoyed the added comfort that's inherent with the larger OD.

But any conventional sized replacements should fit as mentioned above.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anybody else have some input on grips?
I bought Progrip 725 gels. Superbike.
they are too short..........and it does not appear that the new grips will roll over the throttle tube shoulder like the stock ones.
Tried "stretching" them on the bar......no dice. they are just too short.
Does the ST3 need a longer grip?
thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gotta love the search function...

I just ordered a set of grip puppies and the pro-grip 699s as a back-up if I don't like the feel of the puppies.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
well, i was convinced to get grip pups. Went to the Ca ST site and
it showed they accept paypal. But nooooooooo, it wasn't listed as an option
after I'd filled in all the order details. Damn credit card pushers is what they are.;)

So I didn't order.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hope this is not OT,
but my left grip got loose in the rain and I cleaned the bar and grip as best I could, and re-installed with old school hairspray. (Is this still done?:eek:) Well, I do it. However it still gets loose in the rain or after washing. So, how do you guys install those new grips? My brother claims to use nothing.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Grip puppies for me. I have very large hands and the grip puppies are more comfortable and less vibration....all for ten buck.

I could not find a thick replacement grip.

Tod

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hope this is not OT,
but my left grip got loose in the rain and I cleaned the bar and grip as best I could, and re-installed with old school hairspray. (Is this still done?:eek:) Well, I do it. However it still gets loose in the rain or after washing. So, how do you guys install those new grips? My brother claims to use nothing.
I use 3M weatherstripping adhesive. A little bit goes a long way....

·
Registered
474 Posts
A buddy told me about BMW R model grips. They work great! About $24 from a Santa Barbara shop.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I use 3M weatherstripping adhesive. A little bit goes a long way....
that would be the ticket..

some motorcycle shops also sell a grip adhesive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Grip puppies for me. I have very large hands and the grip puppies are more comfortable and less vibration....all for ten buck.

I could not find a thick replacement grip.

Tod
Oooops.. never checked in with my grip puppies update. I ended up installing the grip puppies over the tennis grips, so I've got a nice thick,soft pair of handles now. Best combo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well, i was convinced to get grip pups. Went to the Ca ST site and
it showed they accept paypal. But nooooooooo, it wasn't listed as an option
after I'd filled in all the order details. Damn credit card pushers is what they are.;)

So I didn't order.
I used paypal with them...strange

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I used paypal with them...strange
hey blutoyz, how did you get it to come up. I went through check out and never saw the option for paypal. I did email them and they said it should pop right up. I'll try again.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Oooops.. never checked in with my grip puppies update. I ended up installing the grip puppies over the tennis grips, so I've got a nice thick,soft pair of handles now. Best combo.
Great idea....grip puppies over tennis grip. Have to give this a try. Thanks.

Tod

1 - 20 of 25 Posts