Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the sidestand on the '93 SS I got tonight, and it's bolted up tight but it looks like the stand itself is a little bent and it leans more than my FE does. I think it makes sense to just replace it, but when you do it do you need to replace everything, or just the leg itself if the rest of it looks tight?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is also bent on my '94 SS. I think that may be the way Ducati makes them :eek: The bend helps keep it tucked towards the exhaust to aid ground clearance when its up.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think the bend is fine. Mine was worn at the pivot so once on the floor, the few extra degrees or lean made it look too far over - could feel the play with the stand down but without any weight on it. And my foot was almost worn off.

I bought one (well, 2 actually. The other is nearly new with very little wear) to suit a Monster off eBay and tried that. Stand was fine but the bracket seemed to put it further forward and hard to reach to fold it up. I ended up using my standard bracket and the monster stand so the play at the pivot is almost gone.

Just be sure to get the right stand. Mine has the spring on the outside and a push-button switch (old style) - others have the spring behind and the switch is inside and switches as the stand rotates up/down.

There is a difference in the mounting brackets - mine is steel and others are cast alloy. They will both bolt to the case in the same position but with them next to each other, the slight difference is very hard to notice.

My original stand was (alloy) painted black but most of the later ones seem to be unpainted. If you shop for a monster stand you should be fine - an older aircooled model.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you want to sell me one of your extras, let me know. I need the stand only, not the bracket. Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nooo. I am using the one that has less wear than my original and keeping a close eye on the near new one and keeping it for a rainy day - I will check regularly to make sure it is still there - as long as I remember where I put it.

I bought mine off gothamcycles for about the same money but it didn't have what looks like a Nicholls or TPO bolt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...3138342QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one includes the bracket but that may put the stand a little further forward when down and I think it sat the bike far too upright for my liking so I used my bracket. The switch was different to mine too but I can get by without one - my year doesn't have an ignition cut-out - and I have now fixed a problem that I caused with it when I took it off. It does not up plug at the switch.

If you search eBay for kickstand, side stand or sidestand you'll get a lot of hits. To find the one above I just added monster. There was another for about $50 but may have a bit more wear on the foot.

I think if it looks very like the one you have it will fit fine on your original bracket. If the spring is behind the stand it will be the wrong one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts