Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I remember years ago of posting up something like this every week and each time we put together 7 to 10 riders no problem. It was a blast back then, but the accident I had in late 05 really put a damper on my riding for the following 4 years. I got back on a 999S I just bought and I recall trailering over to Motowheels for some reason and then leaving from there on a ride into the foothills, the first time on the 999S and the first time back on a motorcycle in 4 years since the accident. I broke a lot of body parts that day and the doctors indicated I came very close to being a statistic if my pelvic fracture bleed was any worst than it was. Well, four operations and 3 years of PT later I was motoring down Sunrise headed towards the Sierra Nevadas with a giant smile on my face. But, by that time the good old days were starting to fade for myself and other riders accustomed to going on weekend rides. I'll tell you what, for a couple years there I never had so much fun riding with a bunch of good guys, mainly Ducatis, but it didn't matter, just the fact we were expressing our enjoyment riding in some great areas on cool bikes was enough for me.

Reflecting back you notice a subtle drop off in interest, but also notice some riders trying to rekindle the flame and then eventually giving up to do their own thing thereafter. In my case, once you get into a bad accident it changes you, some of the time without you being conscious of it, but other times being hyper aware of your surroundings and thinking it better not happen again because if it did I would probably be forced to hang up my keys for good. However, in my situation and probably in many other accident scenarios, I had no one to blame but myself, actually that thought gave me confidence to not dwell on it because I can control my riding habits. Even in the case of getting whacked by a car there are many ways to avoid that possibility, we have all avoided collisions by riding defensively or riding with a sixth sense of your surroundings, but doing so without getting a case of white knuckles.

When I was a motor LEO, I was fortunate to have a great deal of prior training before actually hitting the streets. All that is good, but what I eventually realized it takes time to hone your senses to the street environment and doing things automatically without thinking about them. One of the key elements of this skill was increasing your peripheral vision, doing this is handy for anything coming at you at right angles, such as intersection conflicts. I know through my astro imaging hobby there is a thing called "averted vision", demonstrated by the fact you can actually see astronomical targets better if you look away from them. That's because the rod cells are stronger than the cone cells, anyway, I think that's it and biologically that is a good thing given to us at birth, but most people are unaware of it. You can increase your averted vision sensitivity by simply practicing shifting your eyes left and right quickly and you really don't have to turn your head to cover wide angles. Before long you are doing it automatically and this was the one element I improved upon while enforcement riding for five years on a motorcycle. It never goes away, the only time it does is when you become distracted or inattentive and doing either one will obviously bite you in the ass. In short, inattentiveness is the single most cause of auto accidents today, it is the primary collision factor.

I thought eventually someone would kick start the northern California site, but I see it never happened, but you can always hope. As a tribute to the good old days I would really love to hook up with a group and go on a Wentworth Springs run one more time as I prepare my mind to the fact I'll be putting the Ducati 999R up for sale and likely hanging up my keys, at least sport bike keys because I still have a Road King for the long rides. In fact I have one planned with three other riders Nov 28 to Death Valley, something I've always wanted to do, but obviously not on a sport bike. I remember prior to my accident which involved my Honda 600RR, I was seriously thinking about challenging myself by riding to Eureka and back on my 916. That's because a buddy of mine, Terry Crocker actually did it twice on his 996. I knew it was going to hurt, but I also knew it was going to be one of those experiences you will never forget and that to me enriches an otherwise mundane existence, lol.

Anyway, I would like to head up there some time in the next couple weeks if anyone is interested. I know of a couple guys I spoke to about it and they were once part of the riding group from 11-12 years ago and they are interested.

·
Administrator
12,247 Posts
I am sure Jess and I would go. We still ride almost every weekend, some is dual sport and some is street.
We have 4 days in March planned at Death Valley for some dual sport riding and another member of the forum here is going to join us. In fact if anyone else would like to join the fun drop me a PM.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Hi John,

Let me know when you are going to do this. I need to put some miles on our new Scrambler project and Paul Smart project we just finished. Hopefully we can get some rides in before my duaghter's High School Basketball season starts...

-M

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HI John
Yes that was a crappy time, I mean the accident. I remember Terry telling me about it when it happened. Glad you pulled through it.

I have a few friends that want to take a ride before it gets cold.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wentworth ride

This is looking good, for next weekend it looks like Sunday is better than Saturday with the valley on Saturday being 65 degrees mainly cloudy with rain possible. Elevation wise, at least at Blue Canyon Saturday is 47 degrees with a little afternoon rain. In both locations Sunday is the better day with the valley 63 degrees and partly sunny and Blue Canyon 47 degrees and cloudy, so no confirmed rain forecast on Sunday whereas there is more of a chance of it on Saturday. You never know, but it looks pretty good so far.

So, my vote is for next Sunday the 30th and likely meeting at the Bella Bru coffee house in El Dorado Hills, lets say 10am? Bella Bru is in the older shopping center where the former El Dorado Hills Golf course used to be. We used to meet there all the time when doing the loop through Salmon Falls, Cool, Georgetown, Wentworth Springs and back.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the ride.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look like the weather changed for the worst for Sunday

That's life living near a mountain range. Looks like the latest weather forecast has changed and now there is rain predicted, not just a possibility. So in view of that this memory lane ride (at least for me) has to be cancelled.

·
Administrator
12,247 Posts
Hey look who is back, nice to see you come up for air Chris :D

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like we have this thing kick starting again, that's good because I haven't put my bike up for sale yet, been dragging my feet. Damn weather is upside down this year, the Death Valley ride was cancelled and as I looked forward last month the weather outlook didn't look promising for a couple months, time to start checking it again.

·
Administrator
12,247 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts