Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These Hypermotard shrouds are extremely brittle and when they break they shatter.....I know there are quite a few of us who do track days and probably others who have had the bike tipped over and cracked a shroud... Yet no one makes these shrouds except in Carbon fiber for bling and huge money. New they are $450 bucks ...

So my idea is to see if I can get them made of plastic or fiberglass... so I can keep my good pair of the bike...

Does that interest any of you?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Fiberglass is a great material for track bodywork or fringe street riding. It's hard to break and easy to repair.

I'd probably go for a complete set if of reasonable quality at competitive glass prices.

This would also be a great opportunity to make new sturdier exhaust shrouds. And how about incorporating some sacrificial/replaceable black delrin slider strips recessed into the fore/aft bulge? They are the only thing between the road and your mufflers & subframe in your traditional low side slide.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually got pretty far with it then abandoned it due to time. I actually had a good idea beyond just the shrouds and panels that I thought would bring in suffucient income to fund my doing more track days and getting the Hyper dialed with real suspension and good tires all the time, but an internet site requires a lot of time effort... I had contacted one of the fabricators in China and they made CF and Fiberglass of the Hyper parts for a relatively good deal and it looked like I could sell them on ebay and beat most of the prices that they were going for... but the longer I thought on it I realized only a couple people wanted to really track thier Hypers and most Ducati owners wouldn't want Fiberglass or a cheaper CF part because they want the bling factor. These would have just been a cheaper CF part that was quite inexpensive and for track use...

Instead of trying to make the Hyper more track worthy I ended up buying an Aprillia SXV and can hit the tarmac an not end up totalling the bike, I could buy performance parts cheaper and have a raging bike for half the cost of the Hyper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts