Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It first gained popularity for use with automobiles and motorcycles quite a few years ago. I was a big fan when it first started showing up. Cool and futuristic. My car comes standard with lots of CF, but I opted for Bird's Eye instead because it's far and away more appealing to - my eyes.

These days I just don't see how CF adds aesthetic value. Quite the opposite, actually. It's beginning to look dated, and beyond it's "style" value I don't think it looks good, depending of course on which component is carbon fiber and how it's implemented into the overall image.

I know it's just my opinion, and I know it's entirely subjective, but does anyone else feel that the carbon fiber ship has sailed?

(not looking to kill the buzz of anyone who's into CF, just wondering if my opinion is in the minority amongst Ducati owners who frequent this forum)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I personally like it if its done tastefully. The fact is that CF is way too strong and light to go away in applications where it benefits. If the market stops liking the looks of the CF itself, the manufacturers will simply paint it instead. As a material, it's here to stay until the next big material evolution arrives.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm definitely with ya man. I had an R6 which over time became entirely carbon fiber. I swapped one panel and thought "hey that looks rad! I want more!" But eventually everything was CF, and it just looked odd. Nothing popped. I think replacing certain black pieces with CF works quite well, but only if it's complimented by some shiny paint. I'd actually rather see brushed aluminum or something. Or those pieces in bronze or gold.

Not to mention most plastic (and even some metals) are already lighter than their CF replacements.. so there's no longer much need for them performance-wise.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I've got 4 or 5 pieces on my bike, and in each case it looks more refined and upscale than the black plastic or rubber it replaced. The grey/black cross hatch also adds some depth which I think is nice. This is all subjective of course.

But the final test: I'd do it again. Doesn't mean you aren't ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
461 Posts
carbon fiber is much lighter and stronger than nearly all plastics so its here to stay for quite some time. most of the carbon bits on my bikes are painted so they really don't take away from the looks. if the only reason you are buying carbon is for looks, then you are missing the point.

·
Registered
237 Posts
90% of the stuff on our bikes is already insanely light. Any performance gains by spending hundreds on CF replacements would be very small, if any. I once bought a CF Yoshimura slip-on that was HEAVIER than the stock can. I'll say without a doubt that 90% of the people buying carbon fiber nowadays are doing it for the looks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'm referring to areas where strength isn't necessary, and where weight savings is negligible. Certainly some components should be CF, but in places where a component is CF purely for aesthetic purposes...

Also, can't a CF panel be painted? Seems like it could be clear, but also red or black or any number of colors if you wished it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have only a few carbon pieces on my SF. I did the key-guard and the rear fender (hugger). But I agree, sometimes it's too much. I see people that just get it because they assume it'll look better. More is not always better. Some of the cheaper looking plastics look better in the carbon, but not the whole bike. Whenever I do any sort of upgrade to a car or bike I want it to look like it could have come from the factory looking that way. Not for it to look like some red-headed stepchild.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Hammer Down
1,713 Posts
A tasteful (what is tasteful?) mix is appropriate IMO. I prefer painted parts but there are some black plastic parts that I will likely replace such as the piece on the tank (key-guard), maybe the rear hugger and chain guards. I've see a SF with all the black plastic replaced w/ CF and it was way too much. I'd like to find an option for the heatsheild on the exhuast...not sure I like the DP option but I don't think I like all CF either. Maybe an anodized heat shield?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Gadget, shift-tech has a nice exhaust guard for the stock. I have one if you want it for 1098. Might/should fit yours...

pcoakle1

A tasteful (what is tasteful?) mix is appropriate IMO. I prefer painted parts but there are some black plastic parts that I will likely replace such as the piece on the tank (key-guard), maybe the rear hugger and chain guards. I've see a SF with all the black plastic replaced w/ CF and it was way too much. I'd like to find an option for the heatsheild on the exhuast...not sure I like the DP option but I don't think I like all CF either. Maybe an anodized heat shield?

·
Registered
461 Posts
90% of the stuff on our bikes is already insanely light. Any performance gains by spending hundreds on CF replacements would be very small, if any. I once bought a CF Yoshimura slip-on that was HEAVIER than the stock can. I'll say without a doubt that 90% of the people buying carbon fiber nowadays are doing it for the looks.
oh so you assume that the part that makes up 10 percent of the actual piece must be where the extra weight came from? in a muffler, most of the weight is from the inner structure and packing. not the sleeve. weather that sleeve is of carbon, or ti, or stainless...

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
There are so many options to carbon fiber. Look at bicycles. Paint, gloss, matte finish, then the weave 1k, 3k, 6k, uni ect.

I think people are getting tired of the 3k glossy look. It's cheap, and easy to produce, so its everywhere as an aesthetic up-spec. Carbon can be done tastefully and add function for someone who knows what they're looking for, unfortunately for many, more is better, and these people typically have more money than taste.
just my .02

·
Registered
461 Posts
i wonder why race teams, weather car or bike, haven't realized that carbon is a waste of money???? that cheap abs plastic from china is far superior in weight and strength to this pos material... hmm....

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
given the choice between cheap black molded plastic and beautiful glossy carbon I'll take the carbon every time.

To me it has a timeless beauty, and I find timeless beauty to be very rare.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
it's time for carbon / kevlar weaves to become the new fad! Or the new 3D weaves (glasses not included :) )

Ser4iously, as with fiberglass, once the shortage ended with CF, anyone who is capable with glass can make some nice things thing CF using stock parts to build the molds (non load bearing/structural parts of course).

I appreciate CF for being so damned light and thin. It actually allows for more flex than some of the plastic parts they replace with simple shapes.

In the end though, with a "finished" bike that balances color and attention to detail, just makes me stare at them with a smile that they got it right. Quite a few of the "founding" StreetFighters were done or rather had reached that scale in my opinion even though different approaches were used as to what the owner wanted for a finished bike. Heck I even thought Sputz is still one of the kings of Mods with the amount of effort put into his bike. I never went that way with mine since I never had a winter to force me into a long build mode.... but yeah, you can have TOO much Carbon, but if you want it, go for it, it just makes other well thought out StreetFighters look that much better! imho :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CF has proven itself as light and strong. That's not the issue. The question is: is it aesthetically appealing? Does the carbon fiber "look" trump the painted option? And if so, how much CF is too much?

And taking it one step further, which components do you think SHOULD be replaced with CF? Though I don't like the look of CF in general, I could see a few select pieces turning into CF and making the bike look better overall.

·
Temporary greeter
23,085 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I'll take CF anyday over one of he new blacked out stealth models or whatever they're called. Too fast and furious for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was personally never into it, and more than likely probably never will be. I really hate when I see all carbon fiber bikes. People come in and drop thousands on a brand new bike and want to strip its fairings that day to replace them with all CF...It's kind of sad, lol but again...just my own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still like the CF look on some parts. Sometimes it can be overdone, but I don't see it going away. I like Gilly's thoughts on bringing kevlar into the mix. I'd like to see what that would be like.

For example, a rear tire hugger should be as light as possible. It is not load bearing. Same with other non-load bearing items.

Personally, I don't like the new trend Ducati is doing with the flat finish on their new CF. ie: the panigale. The glossy CF looks nicer to me and shows off the weaves better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts