Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dual oil coolers??--Where do you live on the surface of the sun lol, I'm on East Coast central Fl and I cannot believe I would ever need those

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
985 motors and race bikes with built motors only needed. We had a 1125 that would suffer race heat and the addition of the second cooler dropped the temps and it stayed strong all race long.

I see no need or reason for street compression motors but maybe if I lived in a hotter climate like when I was in Phoenix Arizona where 120 ambient temp can be what you are riding in and then you add a stop light ever 1/4 mile. better add fans in that case.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
yea maybe if you live in Death Valley and want to ride from May-Sept lol

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I’ve run two small oil coolers when space was limited to be able to hide them.
I think you should install an oil temp gauge first and see if you really need the extra cooling. Oil that doesn’t get up to temp is just as bad as too hot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve run two small oil coolers when space was limited to be able to hide them.
I think you should install an oil temp gauge first and see if you really need the extra cooling. Oil that doesn’t get up to temp is just as bad as too hot.
Have one. Runs about 95-100 •C. Sometime up to 105 but it has to be a 100 •F day for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Have one. Runs about 95-100 •C. Sometime up to 105 but it has to be a 100 •F day for that to happen.

That's nothing to think about let alone worry about.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
One indicator for you : If your oil window looks milky sometimes you probably aren’t getting the oil hot enough on a regular basis. A cooler will make it harder to get the oil hot enough to eliminate condensation.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Six months of the year the pavement temp here on the street or the track gets to 145F, so using good oil in sufficient quantity checked before each ride works for me although I am not adverse to installing a larger cooler or a second one if it fell in my garage. I just try not to ride when the air is 120F in Arizona as often as I can. Truthfully it just really sucks when I can't avoid that, and no second oil cooler is going to change that experience. On track days I roll off and hit the beer cooler when it gets to 115F, so I have not experienced the need for dual coolers yet. I would need dual coolers in my leathers first. "Dry heat" doesn't mean shit when you wear full leathers! Bottom line, in my opinion, my body cannot handle the heat that a stock oil cooler on a stock bored Ducati can handle.

Yeah, I did Death Valley in July daytime on a CBR - never again,...

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you are going to run dual coolers then having an oil cooler thermostat somewhere in the system is a safe bet that you can maintain the oil temp at the correct operating temperature dependant on conditions. If correctly routed you can use it to heat the bike up to operating temperature a lot faster which is what I did when my bike was going. During the winter it was taking far to long to get up to temp so used it to get the bike up to operating temperature quicker. There are a couple of different ones that are available in the US - can't get them easily here in NZ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts