Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,746 Posts
I've never really been a Tesi admirer all that much. I appreciate the quest for something unique, but the styling doesn't push my buttons. I never got a ride on it (and my friend barely rode it either), but he said the handling wasn't all that great. It's a conversation piece. A piece of mechanical art.

As for value, what is art worth? If you're buying one to actually ride, you might want to look into the availability and prices of parts. 😵 Although, with Kawasaki's investment in the "new" Bimota maybe parts will be a little easier to come by.

·
Bon Vivant
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the Tesi is something you have to have an appetite for, and you're right not many owners ever really rode them much, they just went into rich guys collections. I've always thought it was a pretty special bike even if it was a little different in the handling dept.

How about the DB6R? The bike got great reviews when it was new, has it aged well or is it just another old bike that nobody cares about anymore?

·
Registered
905 Posts
The issue with more recent production Bimotas are they are limited production in the same way recent MV Agustas are, exotic, different, but not functionally different enough to standout from the alternatives. The vintage Bimota market is doing well, the most recent production market is weak, like the MV Agusta market. Having said that, the West Allis bike looks like a deal and a half, especially if you look at what Bob Steinbugler is asking for 0 mile bikes. OTOH, the fact he has 0 mile bikes, says a lot about the current market for these bikes.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
A good resource for you might be Chris Boy of MotoCorse Performance in Fort Lauderdale. He built a whole slew of Bimota race bikes for clients in recent years and ran them at places like Daytona and all the tracks in the southeast. If I remember right, they totally dominated for a few years.

Anyway, he knows the weak points, the strong points, where the spare parts are hidden, what you need to have a good Bimota experience, what will cause Bimota heartache, etc.

I almost bought a DB6 race bike from him recently and it was one of most well prepared race bikes I’d ever seen.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,297 Posts
I like just about every Bimota ever built, but not enough to actually buy one. With the exception of the DB2 Tricolor. I know it’s not what Mike is looking for and probably wouldn’t be a very good fit for a big man but...... it sure would be a fun bike to actually ride. Maybe even as a track bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bon Vivant
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the comparison to MV is probably spot on. I'm not sure why MV and Bimota are not more interesting to people but they have a special appeal to a few of us. I do prefer the later models to the early ones if I'm gonna ride it.

I'm down to a choice between this used DB6R and waiting and getting a streetfighter V4... any opinions?

·
Bon Vivant
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good resource for you might be Chris Boy of MotoCorse Performance in Fort Lauderdale. He built a whole slew of Bimota race bikes for clients in recent years and ran them at places like Daytona and all the tracks in the southeast. If I remember right, they totally dominated for a few years.

Anyway, he knows the weak points, the strong points, where the spare parts are hidden, what you need to have a good Bimota experience, what will cause Bimota heartache, etc.

I almost bought a DB6 race bike from him recently and it was one of most well prepared race bikes I’d ever seen.
Sherpa are you sure it wasnt a DB7? I would think the DB7 would be a more appropriate race bike than the DB6. Cycle World did a comparison of a DB7 Oro to the 1098R Bayliss and they actually liked the DB7 better.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think the comparison to MV is probably spot on. I'm not sure why MV and Bimota are not more interesting to people but they have a special appeal to a few of us. I do prefer the later models to the early ones if I'm gonna ride it.
A by product of the weak market for motorcycles and more specifically the weak market for sportbikes. Decreasing interest means, decreasing distribution, decreasing marketing and decreasing awareness. I had my V Due out at a motorcycle gathering with 1000+ in attendance and was asked whether it was a Chinese bike. This affects all rare bikes. People are less discerning. Had my RC30 out and had a guy tell me he used to own an Interceptor just like it.

I'm down to a choice between this used DB6R and waiting and getting a streetfighter V4... any opinions?
I'd buy the DB6R, but that's because I'd want to take advantage of the opportunity to have an unique ownership and riding experience. If you want the opportunity to own and ride a Streetfighter V4, you can get it any day of the week. The opportunity to own and ride a DB6R is much rarer.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Sherpa are you sure it wasnt a DB7? I would think the DB7 would be a more appropriate race bike than the DB6. Cycle World did a comparison of a DB7 Oro to the 1098R Bayliss and they actually liked the DB7 better.
Actually I think it was a DB5.

·
Bon Vivant
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd buy the DB6R, but that's because I'd want to take advantage of the opportunity to have an unique ownership and riding experience. If you want the opportunity to own and ride a Streetfighter V4, you can get it any day of the week. The opportunity to own and ride a DB6R is much rarer.
I think I'm heading that direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts