Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been quite a few years now with the current SuperSport style and I was wondering if anyone has heard if there is a new model in the pipeline? I have one of the older (better looking, sorry) models and was hoping to get a new one some day but still have not warmed up to the current bikes looks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
superduc21 said:
it will probably be non-existent. They are going to only have 4 models this next year. I know monster and superbike are staying. SS isnt that great of a seller so we will have to see.
Where did you here this? MCN maybe? The same clowns saying a new SBK w/1200cc motor and 916 styling is available next year? Don't believe ANYTHING you read on MCN or other rumor mill internet forums.

The Monster will stay obviously, because its a BIG seller...at least by Ducati terms.

The Multistrada stays because it's the #2 seller, particularly the 620 and 1000S models.

The Superbike stays because...well w/o it, what's the point of their Corsa division.

The ST stays because it sells ok in the new ST3 form

The Sport Classics return as they too have been huge sales success...heck the GT1000 is an '07 model afterall.

The Hypermotard is new for '07 and I suspect will be a HUGE sales hit...based just on the numerous pre-deposits at my local dealer...of which i am one btw.

Well that's 6 models right there, not to mention they offer 4 models of Monsters, 4 models of MTS, 7 models of SBK, 3 Sport Classics and 2 ST's. Will the SS get the ax? I seriously doubt it. The race spec SS1000 was a convenient way to sell off backlog of inventory but if the model were to be discontinued, I suspect the news would already be out which would spur a spike in interest to buy up the last of their kind as collector or just SS enthusiasts. Given the low sales for SS line, I would seriously doubt we'll see any new model of SS, just continued version of same SS1000 and SS800. When you look at how few parts are unique to the SS only, I suspect the bike is very cheap to produce and thus costs very little to maintain its position in lineup in its current form. Take care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think thats the point they need a new SuperSport model to get people to want to buy one. Yes the old one is paid for in reguards to R and D but most of the new model would probably be styling and suspension not a rework of the engine. Ducati does have a pretty full line of bikes with the 2 valve motor now, as you have listed. But I can hope, I really like the old 2 valve motor and would like to see it in some clothes I can lust after when I open the garage door. Not to open another can of worms but that is why the 999 will probably be restyled sooner than planed due to a cooler reception(sales) than the old 916 looking model got.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a new SS. It's just called the Sport Classic. Beyond that, I personally doubt the current SS will be around for long. Between the Sport Classic and the Hypermotard, the SS is going to be redundant.

·
Registered
229 Posts
bigmac said:
Where did you here this? MCN maybe? The same clowns saying a new SBK w/1200cc motor and 916 styling is available next year? Don't believe ANYTHING you read on MCN or other rumor mill internet forums.

The Monster will stay obviously, because its a BIG seller...at least by Ducati terms.

The Multistrada stays because it's the #2 seller, particularly the 620 and 1000S models.

The Superbike stays because...well w/o it, what's the point of their Corsa division.

The ST stays because it sells ok in the new ST3 form

The Sport Classics return as they too have been huge sales success...heck the GT1000 is an '07 model afterall.

The Hypermotard is new for '07 and I suspect will be a HUGE sales hit...based just on the numerous pre-deposits at my local dealer...of which i am one btw.

Well that's 6 models right there, not to mention they offer 4 models of Monsters, 4 models of MTS, 7 models of SBK, 3 Sport Classics and 2 ST's. Will the SS get the ax? I seriously doubt it. The race spec SS1000 was a convenient way to sell off backlog of inventory but if the model were to be discontinued, I suspect the news would already be out which would spur a spike in interest to buy up the last of their kind as collector or just SS enthusiasts. Given the low sales for SS line, I would seriously doubt we'll see any new model of SS, just continued version of same SS1000 and SS800. When you look at how few parts are unique to the SS only, I suspect the bike is very cheap to produce and thus costs very little to maintain its position in lineup in its current form. Take care.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=5231&highlight=Ducati

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sport Classic is not a SuperSport it is a retro bike using the same engine. I would like to see a modern SuperSport using the 2 valve motor with up to date styling. I hope they do not do away with the SuperSport range it really is a great bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Sport Classic's riding position and performance are right in line with what a new SS should be, it' just missing a full fairing. Don't hate on it for it's retro styling. The Hypermotard is going to be an impressive piece. I know it's not an SS, but it will get a lot of attention and certainly sell well. I just think Ducati will not see the need for the SS model. Which is actually a shame, considering the history of the SS model.

Personally, I'm waiting for the full fairing version of the Sport Classic. There's a bike I would think worth of the SS name. Full Fairing, Ohlins from the Paul Smart, and regular production status. I like the styling of the Sport Classic and the Hypermotard a lot better than I like the current SS styling. There is a market for a new SS, I'm just not sure how it would fit into Ducati's current plans.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
I believe the SS can be reinvented and done so without a lot of hassle. It will require the cosmetic line changes of the fairings, tank and tail. Paint the trellis frame red and re design the nose. It is a viable machine, breat motor and very capable with good suspension and two up capability. Fix the exhaust to hi mount Aprilia style. Raise the handle bars from the factory for a more upright position but not so much to loose the SS's ability to look like and perform like a Ducati should.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The SS sales fell badly aftet the restyle (Thanks TB). That is a fact. The Sport Classics look ok but that fad won't last and they are still parts bin bikes for the most part. Rather than killing off the SS (that used to sell very well) while keeping the Classics (that will run out of customers relatively quickly), the best thing they could do is build them all on the same "platform" with the SS getting new and sexy duds. A serious diet is also needed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Easy to sup up for a hobbiest or racer. I've seen some SS racers with 998 tails and 999 front fairings mounted, they look great. Losing the weight requires some $$, but racers get these things down to 330lbs. I have seen several older engines (900 based) over 100hp too. I haven't built my 1000 engine yet, but 110 reliable hp should be achievable, if a bit expensive.

Why wait. Built it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the SuperSport name goes away for a couple of years and then is reborn within the friendly confines of the SportClassic family. There's just too much history (and marketing appeal) to let the name go by the wayside.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have to agree with those who say the Sport Classics cannot replace the SS line; they are too retro to maintain a buyer base for long.

The Hypermotard, while nice to look at, won't be very good for medium-to-long distance "curvy road" riding (where's the wind protection?).

I still say Ducati is missing a golden opportunity for a market exclusive in a new-generation SS model: clean powertrain appearance, a broad torque curve and lighter weight enabled by the air-cooled motor. A real-world sport bike for real road (versus track) riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts