Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I don't own one but done some extended rides on both a Speciale and V4R. Very, very competent bikes and very fast. The V4R was a game changer for me in that it's the easiest bike to ride fast that I've ever been on. That said, I haven't ordered one and I don't think that I will.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm still eager for any v4 sfs news.. in case that all rumors will stay only rumors i will switch myself on v4s or Mv..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,896 Posts
Just out of curiosity: Why?

It is after all 5kg's heavier than the 1299FE (curb weight). Not flaming, just curious.
5kg's? Really? Wow... are we really getting that "granular"? The difference in the power output characteristics between a twin and a V4 alone are enough to have me at least "very interested".

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Test rode the S model twice Ergos seemed better for a tall rider less heat on the
crotch than a 1299 while it was very fast, I expected more from it only due to all
the hype. Would I like to own one yes but I am not a track rider so it would not be
a good toy for me given the cost and 5,000 exhaust I would need to have. Maybe I
will pick one up 2nd hand in a few years.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
490 Posts
5kg's? Really? Wow... are we really getting that "granular"? The difference in the power output characteristics between a twin and a V4 alone are enough to have me at least "very interested".

Oh it's interesting enough, but you are missing the context: the OP stated he "loved" just sitting on it in the shop....no engine stuff, no power comparision, no V2 vs V4...just sitting. Which begs the question: Why? What makes it so special at a stand still if it is actually heavier than the model it replaces?

Just curious is all.....

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just out of curiosity: Why?

It is after all 5kg's heavier than the 1299FE (curb weight). Not flaming, just curious.
I liked the high seat height, the tank's a nice shape and the reach to the bars felt just right. Haven't ridden the 1299, I've only sat on an 1199 and I liked that too but it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't own one but done some extended rides on both a Speciale and V4R. Very, very competent bikes and very fast. The V4R was a game changer for me in that it's the easiest bike to ride fast that I've ever been on. That said, I haven't ordered one and I don't think that I will.
Have you tried the Aprilia offering?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh it's interesting enough, but you are missing the context: the OP stated he "loved" just sitting on it in the shop....no engine stuff, no power comparision, no V2 vs V4...just sitting. Which begs the question: Why? What makes it so special at a stand still if it is actually heavier than the model it replaces?

Just curious is all.....
Depends where the weight is, it felt balanced, certainly not top heavy. My bikes are all pretty porky so not obsessed with weight anyway. My old v4 ape is definitely heavier, it was heavy in 2012 but I don't notice it. My honda blackbird is top heavy but once in flight feels fine. The v4 duc just felt perfect, good reach to bars and pegs and nice tall tank to lean against.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Have you tried the Aprilia offering?
I have. Also very fast and very competent and has a neat lean angle display. But again, like the V4, not quite for me.

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess I'm surprised there's not lots of new v4 owners on here asking questions, giving reviews the same as when all the other models came out.
I wasn't a fan overall. Most of the V4 owners are probably not on this board. You can find a lot more to read here: Ducati V4 - Ducati Forum

Obviously there's gonna be some bias...it's a Ducati forum.

The BMW that was released this year is a better bike and costs less (if you can get your hands on one).

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't a fan overall. Most of the V4 owners are probably not on this board. You can find a lot more to read here: Ducati V4 - Ducati Forum

Obviously there's gonna be some bias...it's a Ducati forum.

The BMW that was released this year is a better bike and costs less (if you can get your hands on one).
That's a shame, I'd rather read about them on here, with the old guard's expertise and opinions in discussions.

Thanks for the link.

BMW build a good bike, I rode an s1000rr back in 2010, pretty impressive, I was ready to buy one until i rode the ape.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Evening Paulie. Working in the industry and being a member of an excellent club, I get to ride a LOT of bikes around town and through the twisties. In the last 15 or more years I’m always overwhelmed by the hype that surrounds new models and underwhelmed by what I ride. In that time I can’t remember a bike I didn’t like. Well maybe the desmosedici rr, not a bike that impressed me at all. If push came to shove out of the Aprilia or Ducati I would chose the Aprilia only because I like its look. The v4 Ducati looks to close to the 2 cylinder Pani and for the real world where we ride, doesn’t do anything better. I chose looks first and nothing else after. No manufacturer make a bad bike. They’re all good and if I don’t like something about it I change it. Moto journalists, don’t get me started. My all time favs are the F3 800 and the R6.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Seems like decent post xracer.
I would only add that whatecer bike we buy, we have to set up suspension and ergonomics, because we are all diferent in size, age and type of driving style.
I'm 186 and 97kgs, pretty far away from average italian rider (170cm 60plus kg). Now imagine myself on bike made for italian :D
I've been sitting on v4s few times now, 4 days ago recently, and i found out only by pushing the handlebars that front suspension is extremly soft.
There is eletronics setup, i know, i was playing with it but still its on soft side for me. After ride i pretty sure i would have same conclusion..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a shame, I'd rather read about them on here, with the old guard's expertise and opinions in discussions.

Thanks for the link.

BMW build a good bike, I rode an s1000rr back in 2010, pretty impressive, I was ready to buy one until i rode the ape.
Is there something in particular you're looking to find out about it? Many of the forum members here are also over there (I know Sherpa is...) so I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of expertise...As the last post mentioned, yes the front is soft and some have even had trouble with setup getting it to where they need. This is usually on the S, though I've heard people complain about the Marzocchi forks on the base as well. There's a bunch of little annoyances and then there's a bunch that have been fixed with recalls (which the number keeps going up on...). I think there's 5 official recalls and something like 10 or more service bulletins. It is funny though because a lot of people purchasing new bikes seem to be complaining about recalls that should have been fixed a year ago...so I'm not sure what is going on there at the factory. Honestly for the money it's a disappointing bike. Especially once you start to inspect all the fairings and even get them off, there's so much that has been "mass produced" that the imperfections are everywhere...maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I expected more.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts