Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking the plunge and removing the swingarm on my 2004 999 to have it powdercoated black. The weather has not been promising here in New England so I'm willing to sacrifice a few weeks.

I've searched in these forums, google, and in my Desmoquattro manual and haven't found much. Few questions...

1) Is it straightforward, out of 1-10 scale I would say I'm a 7.5 with tools/disassembly/reassembly.

2) Do I need to replace any parts when i'm reassembling (washers, gaskets...)

3) Do I need to compress the suspension or hang the bike from the frame?

Thanks for all your help! Can't wait to get cranking away!

-Chris

·
Registered
345 Posts
Caveat: I've not removed my swingarm so I have no first-hand experience.

According to my '05 manual, the bearings and roller bearings that the swingarm spindle rides on need to be replaced after removal.

The swingarm design changed from 04 to 05, so I don't know if it's the same bearing set-up. It may be worth securing those parts before beginning.

Hope this was a little helpful.

C

·
Registered
78 Posts
It can be done easily. Either hang the bike from the ceiling or support it from below with 2x4's or make a frame to support with 1 inch plumbing pipes. That is the toughest part. Remove fairing, rear wheel, exhaust pipes except header pipes. Remove shock and unbolt swingarm. No problem at all. Just make sure that when you put it back on, the bolt that goes through the swingarm from the right side has a oval area that fits in the oval area inside the swingarm. This really needs to be lined up right before you tighten the bolt. Normal socket wrenches with an extension will do it. Very easy. You should get the manual from desmotimes.com

·
Registered
778 Posts
^^pretty much what I did. Home Depot for the pipes:

No need to compress suspension. No need to disconnect the upper part of the shock, just disconnect it from the swingarm.

I didn't replace the bearings, but then I didn't powdercoat. IIRC, if you get it dead-on straight, the pivot bolt slides out nicely with light taps from a rubber mallet & wood dowel. No hard hammering that would risk damaging the bearings. But if you're powdercoating, then yeah you probably need new bearings because those usually have to be removed.

Highly recommended: Ducati Factory manual (e-bay)

An alternative to powdercoating (and buying new bearings) is spraying it yourself. I hung it from a wire, put multiple coats of primer, multiple coats of flat black. Still looks good (no chipping, etc) after about 1500 miles.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Tom how is Lugano?
Mmmmh Panetone.
I am from Interlaken originally. Came to the USA in 1993.
Ciao
Domenic

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Doh!! sorry.... this was the 998 swingarm!!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'm putting a 2005 Box section swinger on my 2003. I had the bearings removed prior to bead blasting and solvent bath, they came out fine-no need to replace either the bearings or the seals. Now if they can just tweek my 54mm Termi to fit the newer swinger I'm good...:confused: if not, sell the Termi and buy a LeoVince.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Hey Tom how is Lugano?
Mmmmh Panetone.
I am from Interlaken originally. Came to the USA in 1993.
Ciao
Domenic
I moved from Connecticut to Zurich in '86 (with my LeMans), and then to Lugano in '90. Still here, and still ride the LeMans.

Tom

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I've pulled off several swing arms, what I usually do is use floor jack stands directly under where the pivot shaft is hitting the frame. Then remove the wheel, suspension pieces and chain. The pivot bolt comes right out and the arm pretty much falls out after. Its a very easy process, takes minutes. Once the shaft is out, I highly suggest putting it directly back in the hole to keep the alignment.

If you have the tools (which you probably don't), it should take 20 min to do it. The swing arm is heavy, so I usually have someone around to help pull it, whilst its on the stands because they can be a tiny bit flimsy.

You don't need a huge rig or something, lots of ladders and rubber straps... Jack stands work the best, they're cheap and are designed for jobs just like this.

I haven't been able to dig up pix yet of my last job doing one, but I'll keep looking and post if I find.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts