Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the Scott stablizer for my 2011 EVO. Just wondering if anyone has installed this system, and if it was pretty straight forward. I was hoping to do it myself. Recommend settings?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, looking forward to getting it in. We've got a great 50 mile run from here through the mountains. Yesterday i was rallying pretty hard, and it was windy, felt a little wobbly coming out of turns. Might have been some feedback from you that steered me towards Scotts. Should be here Wednesday. I suppose its something you play with, to find the ride settings ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, looking forward to getting it in. We've got a great 50 mile run from here through the mountains. Yesterday i was rallying pretty hard, and it was windy, felt a little wobbly coming out of turns. Might have been some feedback from you that steered me towards Scotts. Should be here Wednesday. I suppose its something you play with, to find the ride settings ?
I don't have a Scotts on my Hyper. I do have a Scotts on my KTM desert bike. The factory starting point is to turn it fully clockwise. Then one revolution counter clock.

I rarely adjust it from there. Set and forget. It does it's thing.

The pointer on the adjuster is moveable. So if you pick a spot you like that has the pointer to the side. You can move the pointer to 12 o'clock for ease of checking the setting.

You most likely will not need to touch the other settings. Read the manual and understand them. But factory settings are good to go.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Been looking at these stabilizers . In what way do they improve riding? Hope I don't sound dumb with this question ,I just don't know much about them

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Been looking at these stabilizers . In what way do they improve riding? Hope I don't sound dumb with this question ,I just don't know much about them
Basically they just reduce wobble or headshake, get enough of either of those and you are in for a tank slapper or high-side. You should hopefully not even notice it's there at all when riding. There is tons of debate on here about their use, some think of them as a band-aid fix for the real problem of the hyper's crappy suspension. I prefer to think of it as a seatbelt, if it prevents even one single high-side, then it is worth it to me to spend the cash. I myself use the Ohlins but the Scott's is top notch, I just like the linear style is all.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a Scotts on my Hyper. I do have a Scotts on my KTM desert bike. The factory starting point is to turn it fully clockwise. Then one revolution counter clock.

I rarely adjust it from there. Set and forget. It does it's thing.

The pointer on the adjuster is moveable. So if you pick a spot you like that has the pointer to the side. You can move the pointer to 12 o'clock for ease of checking the setting.

You most likely will not need to touch the other settings. Read the manual and understand them. But factory settings are good to go.
Thanks for the tip, the web site says you can swap from bike to bike, you might look into that. Not sure what you'd need to order for your hyper $$, but they say it's a simple swap.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It's a safety belt.
Might reduce the occurence of tankslaps you can experience.
Will also eventually help a tankslap not to turn into a nasty crash.

It does not fix a bad suspension setup, but at least it helps reducing the bad consequences of one.

I'm using a Scotts too for a year, #1 product.

Scotts dampers are movable from one bike to another, you usually need to buy the dedicated mounting kit from Scotts webpage.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
its a bandaid for poor suspension..you only need a stabilizer for insurance of a tankslapper..or front end jitters from riding the piss out of her on a track pushing hard into corners!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tip, the web site says you can swap from bike to bike, you might look into that. Not sure what you'd need to order for your hyper $$, but they say it's a simple swap.
Well. I could (and may) swap. But it's not an ideal swap. There are two versions of a Scott's damper. Street and Dirt.

Street is set to dampen away from center. Then back to center. On both sides. Mostly for dampening head shake.

Dirt is set to dampen only away from center on both sides. There is no dampening on return to center. It is mostly to stop large deflections of the front wheel. Like a hidden rock.

My Hyper is new to me. So I have not had the time (or found the need) for a damper. I probably will buy the mount kit and begin by using my Dirt damper. Then eventually get a Street version.

Edit: just looked at how it is mounted on the Hyper. It uses a reverse mounting position from how it is mounted on my KTM. So the swap would require pulling the link arm each time. Not gonna do that so no swapping for me. My Hyper seems rock stable. So for now. Just gonna keep on adding gas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts