Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
On the left side of my 1998 748 I have a stain which I am hoping is from going into a muddy puddle.

However it is near the radiator which has me worried.
I have checked the white bottle near the left side of the tank and it is above min and below max.

The bike runs around 60-80 degrees celcius on todays hot day. Saturday in traffic it stayed above 90 but it was hot and stop start traffic.

Any ideas?

I have attached two pictures below

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
It could be some "man juice" if you left your nice 748 alone in front of the yamaha dealer one day.
LOL jk

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
looks familiar

where were you riding her? do you clean her off after you ride her so you know those are fresh stains? Ever ride her naked, (with the fairings off I mean)? Lots of questions remain to be unanswered, we might subpoena you... but my best guess is that that stain definitely looks like a Lewinsky.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Did you ride through a muddy puddle?

If not, it is possible that your coolant expansion tank has a split in it. It doesn't matter whether the level you can see is between the markers or not, a little goes a long way. Does it smell like coolant?? It is not uncommon on these bikes - it is not a service item, they just go for apparently no reason. I have had one go on my 748 and one on my 998.

I would recommend washing it off, because if it is coolant its corrosive. If it doesn't re-occur it was a muddy puddle, otherwise it could be coolant from the expansion tank and you will need a new one.

After you have washed it off avoid muddy puddles:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true I wish it is was man juice.
it does no smell like coolant,

Is this the coolant bottle? Number 9 in the picture, if so it does have coolant left in the bottle above the min line. Here's wishing

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Yes Indyjoe - it is No 9 on the attached drawing. Please note that when my 998 did this to me last November I had plenty of coolant left in the expansion tank (No 9) I also had a fair bit all over the place as well. As I said a little goes a very long way.

Our solution to find the crack was wash the bike first. Then start the bike, block off the radiator with a towel so that the bike runs up to temperature and watch what happens and if any stuff is coming out anywhere. The crack in the coolant reservoir will most likely be along the seam and it will usually be tiny and little bubbles will come out. If nothing appears to be coming off in this area take off the fairings and have a look, it might be a hose but I think it is probably the expansion tank.

If the expansion tank is the problem, your only fix will be to take it to a dealer and have them put a new one on. Other people have tried to bodgy them up, even us - do a search but really get a new one. The part is not very expensive, its a little bit of labour but not too much.

When I get home I will post some photos for you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI thanks for the photos and advice

I took it to Gowanloch (ducati servicer in Sydney) was spitting more fluid around the top left where the hose meets.

He confirmed the leak. oh well lets see what the cost is. They might as well do it whilst I have a new front tyre put on and the suicide stand changed over and the 20K service (OUCH)

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
HI thanks for the photos and advice

I took it to Gowanloch (ducati servicer in Sydney) was spitting more fluid around the top left where the hose meets.

He confirmed the leak. oh well lets see what the cost is. They might as well do it whilst I have a new front tyre put on and the suicide stand changed over and the 20K service (OUCH)
Good idea, know Gowanloch's well - have bought a fair few bits from them over the years.

Yes, they might as well do it cos they will have to drop the coolant anyway to do the service. Welcome to the world of Ducati ownership - its all good in the end, when you get the bike back and ride it you will forgive it almost anything.

Suicide stand? Your bike looks too young for the retractable sidestand. What is the go, has someone done a dodgy bypass and you can leave it down and ride off in gear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, it has the sidestand that kicks up if you move the bike. The last person dropped the bike by not putting the stand on properly.

Gowanloch sourced a part they put on another immaculate 916 I saw there today that stops the stand kicking up if you move the bike.

I can't wait to get it back now....

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Nah, it has the sidestand that kicks up if you move the bike. The last person dropped the bike by not putting the stand on properly.

Gowanloch sourced a part they put on another immaculate 916 I saw there today that stops the stand kicking up if you move the bike.

I can't wait to get it back now....
Gosh the comedy retractable sidestand - they are such fun, I had one on my 1997 Supersport it got changed very quickly. What year is your bike cos mine is a 2000 model and it didn't come like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gosh the comedy retractable sidestand - they are such fun, I had one on my 1997 Supersport it got changed very quickly. What year is your bike cos mine is a 2000 model and it didn't come like that.
1998. It annoys the you know what out of me when you put it down.

YOu need to pull the bike down to ensure the stand is on.
let go of the bike
WAIT
CHECK AGAIN
WAIT

then walk away and hope it is still on....

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
1998. It annoys the you know what out of me when you put it down.

YOu need to pull the bike down to ensure the stand is on.
let go of the bike
WAIT
CHECK AGAIN
WAIT

then walk away and hope it is still on....
and hope that no parent comes along with a small child who thinks your bike is a shopping mall ride and photo opportunity rolled into one! Happened to me, I ran and got there just in time to grab it. Needless to say the man did not get a picture of his darling child on my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
WTF! Is this a phase of the moon. Just have emerged from the garage 1.5 hours after returning from a shakedown ride (have done a bit of work to bike) and I have, yes, you guessed it, a split in the expansion tank. Did about 30kms down the road, turned around came back, stopped for the obligatory evening Latte and smelt coolant. Drank Latte and returned we we spent the rest of the time removing bodywork, fuel tank, airbox, pressurising coolant system carefully, the resultant sprinkler system from the crack was quite impressive.

Just hope the dealer has one in stock - am meant to be going for a ride this weekend.:(

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I've been through several tanks, 2 this year, in the space of a couple of months.

Both of my 'this year' tanks have leaked, not from the seam but on a flat part near the small outlet hose to the rear cylinder, resulting in a similar mess the pics on here show as the coolant sprayed out a fine mist over the left/front side of the bike once up to temperature.

I had one a couple of years back that leaked big-time as soon as it was fitted, fortunately the dealer replaced that one the next day under warranty but I was told this year when I got my last one to replace the '90-day tank' that there is no warranty on them, not sure how that works in todays consumer-driven marketplace? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I've been through several tanks, 2 this year, in the space of a couple of months.

Both of my 'this year' tanks have leaked, not from the seam but on a flat part near the small outlet hose to the rear cylinder, resulting in a similar mess the pics on here show as the coolant sprayed out a fine mist over the left/front side of the bike once up to temperature.

I had one a couple of years back that leaked big-time as soon as it was fitted, fortunately the dealer replaced that one the next day under warranty but I was told this year when I got my last one to replace the '90-day tank' that there is no warranty on them, not sure how that works in todays consumer-driven marketplace? :confused:
It's bizarre - I know that they go, BUT!. This was one was fitted on the 19 October 2008 so no warranty there. However, I kept the one that split on the 18th October, indeed lugged it around two states with me - I don't know why and I don't know why I kept it when I eventually got it home.:confused:

The reason I mention it is that when this one split tonight and not along the seam, but in roughly the same place that you mention, there looks to be a flaw in the moulding, it has a quite different shape to it with almost a crease in it under the bulge, the other one did not have it. Could there have been a faulty batch? I would take a photo, but I am not sure it would come out well.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
It's bizarre - I know that they go, BUT!. This was one was fitted on the 19 October 2008 so no warranty there. However, I kept the one that split on the 18th October, indeed lugged it around two states with me - I don't know why and I don't know why I kept it when I eventually got it home.:confused:

The reason I mention it is that when this one split tonight and not along the seam, but in roughly the same place that you mention, there looks to be a flaw in the moulding, it has a quite different shape to it with almost a crease in it under the bulge, the other one did not have it. Could there have been a faulty batch? I would take a photo, but I am not sure it would come out well.
This pic taken from a previous thread http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=67580&highlight=coolant+tank shows where mine was leaking from, the replacement to this also leaked from the same place (after only 95 days);

I'm hoping that my current tank (no 5) fitted in September will be my last...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Looks like the effects of ethylene glycol on a freshly waxed surface. Wow, I'm late on this...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts