Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my hyper a while ago and now I'm looking to get a new bike. I really missed the hyper and I'm disappointed on the new model with a water cooled engine. I was hoping for an air cooled 1200 full of torque beast. I'm currently fancying a Husky supermoto the SMR 511. It is very nimble and is a proper supermoto. Does any body here have experience with this bike or any similar to this style? I want to hear from you how the Hyper compares to a single supermoto. I'm worry about not having the fun that I had with torque from the hyper.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I sold my hyper a while ago and now I'm looking to get a new bike. I really missed the hyper and I'm disappointed on the new model with a water cooled engine. I was hoping for an air cooled 1200 full of torque beast. I'm currently fancying a Husky supermoto the SMR 511. It is very nimble and is a proper supermoto. Does any body here have experience with this bike or any similar to this style? I want to hear from you how the Hyper compares to a single supermoto. I'm worry about not having the fun that I had with torque from the hyper.
ok i had a 610 HuskySM i loved it but it didn't like me (2 plates 11 screws)
heavy bike compared to the 510,

sold it bought a 09 husky 510smr nice bike,small tank (ran out of fuel 68 miles) top speed about 108 mph.

sold the 510 bought a duc 1100 evo sp :D:D:D

The hyper is By far A much sweeter ride more power,more torque,more
speed. got to love a TWIN over a SINGLE. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a KTM 640 SM that I old last year and have to say I wish I never sold it really. Im guessing it pushed out about 50 odd BHP but I do have to say the most fun on 2 wheels ever. It would stick with anything up to about 70 mph but its the tight twisty roads they come in to their own.
Compared to a Hyper a proper SM just feels like a BMX with an engine, just chalk & cheese really.
Mine had a full Ti Akro and a few other mods it sounded like a single cylinder spitfire and on the over run would pop and bang.. Just brilliant.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i had a 07 husky smr510. loved it! the older ones had slightly larger tanks. i could go about a 110 miles before dry. top speed was about 130 on the speedo. i went up two teeth on the front sprocket.the bike was so light and fast it is insane! i ended up with plates and screws as well... they are not very practical street bikes though. if you live real close to the twisties they're great! but if you have to ride twenty miles to get there they are a pain! IMO the hyper makes a better street bike but the husky is a better sumo.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Depends what you want to do. Street riding, get a real street bike. If you want to race cheap, get a Supermotard.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Guys around here are having problems keeping the huskys together. Personally I have a DRZ434SM but lust for an Aprilia. I still love the DRZ when I dont feel like humping around such a big heavy bike.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My brother has a KTM 525EXC SM. It has a lot of titanium stuff and weighs almost nothing. I feel like sitting on a pedalbike when I'm on that thing, it's so light, too light for my taste :rolleyes:

But it does do the sweetest and longest 4th gear powerwheelies I've ever done :D, and you can go off-roading with it as well, which is a bit trickier with the hyper (especially since the brakes and suspension wasn't made for dirt).

It's a different kind of fun, more of a playful thing than raw power and speed.

Downside is that you have to do maintenance on them after almost every ride. Usually just small stuff like oil and filters, but after 20 hours you need to check valve clearance and stuff.

I don't have to worry about maintenance for my Hyper for 12.000km. Just lube the chain and joints, keep the bolts tight and that's it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i rode my husky like i was trying to kill it and the only problem i ever had was one bad cam chain tensioner. i heard plenty of stories (before and after buying) about needing top end rebuilds and bearings after 20 hours, but have never seen it myself.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
i rode my husky like i was trying to kill it and the only problem i ever had was one bad cam chain tensioner. i heard plenty of stories (before and after buying) about needing top end rebuilds and bearings after 20 hours, but have never seen it myself.
as long as you keep your oil clean and at the proper level the husky will take the abuse,however i did find the my front tires never did wear out,
as most of the time on the 510 it was never on the ground. :eek:

·
Registered
461 Posts
as long as you keep your oil clean and at the proper level the husky will take the abuse,however i did find the my front tires never did wear out,
as most of the time on the 510 it was never on the ground. :eek:
i would change the oil every 1500 miles or less. and use quality oil. since they only hold a couple quarts, it doesn't cost much for the added insurance.

with the 16 tooth front sprocket i used, my husky would do wheelies all day long with ease! pretty fun! i'm surprised i never got arrested on mine!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a KTM 640 SM that I old last year and have to say I wish I never sold it really. Im guessing it pushed out about 50 odd BHP but I do have to say the most fun on 2 wheels ever. It would stick with anything up to about 70 mph but its the tight twisty roads they come in to their own.
Compared to a Hyper a proper SM just feels like a BMX with an engine, just chalk & cheese really.
Mine had a full Ti Akro and a few other mods it sounded like a single cylinder spitfire and on the over run would pop and bang.. Just brilliant.
I'd go along with these comments. I had a 640 also and,much as I like the Hyper, it feels a bit too much like a road bike than a supermoto on steroids.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ive had a handful of ktm lc4motards over a six year period that ended about ten years ago. A lot of tickets and a lot of crashes. Backthen bikes like the husky 450/510, aprilia 450/550, ktm 450/525s didnt exsist, but you could still find baja design converted yamaha 426s or a crf 450 with motard setups and plates. The maintenance and reliability scared me so i went w the ktm lc4 more 'sensible' but heavier motards since id seen adventure 640s w 50+ thousand miles...

My favorite was a 1996 ktm duke. I bought it off a guy who stripped it down for weight savings, totally dialed in the suspension at racetech and some motor tuning as well. He raced it in the afm singles class and had a bazillion top five finishes. When i got ahold of it i took it to the tighter twisty track at buttonwillow for track days and eventiually got extremely good on it passing many guys late on the brakes w a lot more corner speed. All the sportbikes reeled me in on the one straight away, but i always got it back in the sections of the track w all the curves... I loved that bike. Its suspension was short by dirt bike standards(kinda like the hyper). Whatever he had reworked made the bike handle incredible. Bike was stolen after i barely had it for a year:(

My hyper handles like garbage compared to that bike and i could never ride at that pace on the hyper as it is currently.

I ALMOST bought a husky 510 instead of the hyper(modesto ducati had husky and ducati bikes in stock) but the test drive on the hyper sealed the deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts